Boveda Butler calibration - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-15-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

Boveda Butler calibration

It was time to recalibrate my to Boveda Butlers so I went online and bought a bunch of 32% and 75% Boveda packs. Iíd previously only done the 1-point calibration at 75% but thought Iíd give the 2-point process a go. I put both BBís in a bag along with my Hygroset digital hygrometer.

Everything worked fine at 75% but when I went to 32 all three hygrometers were reading in the 38-41% range. The Boveda app gave me a warning that the proper humidity level hadnít been reached and an option to try again. Thinking it was just a dud 32 pack, I put a new pack in and put everything in a different bag, sealed it and started again. Same result...

I contacted Boveda and told them about my troubles. Basically my thought was the 32% packs I bought werenít really at 32% and I thought maybe theyíd send me some new ones. Instead, I was told that the Boveda Butler doesnít support 2-point calibration and I should contact the creator of the app, Bluestream, so they could access my sensor and ensure it was calibrated correctly.

I think Iím still in a dialogue with Boveda (assuming I didnít piss them off with my last reply) and Iím hoping Iíll still learn something useful. That said, they still havenít addressed the incorrect readings of the 32% packs and I think they at least owe me a response for that. Additionally I suggested they remove the option for 2-point calibration if their hygrometer doesnít support it.

So... has anyone successfully calibrated their Boveda Butler using the 2-point process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-15-2019, 11:00 PM
Purposeful Puffer

Iíve had far greater luck doing manual single-point calibrations. I keep my sticks at 65, so I use a 65% boveda pack and havenít had any issues. I verify calibration with my two Butlers and two Caliber IVs every few months and get very little drift.

Sent from the Dark Side of the Moon

Vi Veri Venuversum Vivus Vici
post #3 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine_Qua_Non View Post
Iíve had far greater luck doing manual single-point calibrations. I keep my sticks at 65, so I use a 65% boveda pack and havenít had any issues. I verify calibration with my two Butlers and two Caliber IVs every few months and get very little drift.

With a 65% pack I get how you can confirm the reading but is there a way to recalibrate the BB if needed?

Sine_Qua_Non likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 09:18 AM
Purposeful Puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex61 View Post
With a 65% pack I get how you can confirm the reading but is there a way to recalibrate the BB if needed?

When you go to the settings screen, click ďcustomizeĒ and it allows you to set a custom calibration offset.

Youíre never truly calibrating the sensor no matter how you do it, youíre just adjusting what the app displays based on the measured variance of the sensor compared to the boveda pack youíre using. If you do the single point automatic calibration with a 75 pack, the app is just doing this automatically for you.

So, if you put your sensor in a bag with a 65 pack, and a day later the sensor is reading 70, you know itís trading 5% high and then just manually set the calibration to compensate for that.

Really no different than calibrating any hygrometer, except you have to do it through the app instead of the device.

post #5 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

Cool, I hadnít paid attention to the Customize option before. Itís good to have that option but Iím not sure it buys you anything beyond what the 1-point process does.

All that said, Iím still frustrated with Boveda for having a process on the app that the device doesnít support, and Iím surprised and disappointed that the 32% packs I bought are actual closer to 40%

gtechva likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 09:46 AM
Purposeful Puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex61 View Post
Cool, I hadnít paid attention to the Customize option before. Itís good to have that option but Iím not sure it buys you anything beyond what the 1-point process does.

All that said, Iím still frustrated with Boveda for having a process on the app that the device doesnít support, and Iím surprised and disappointed that the 32% packs I bought are actual closer to 40%

I've found that the closer I calibrate relative to the RH I actually store my cigars at, the less sensor drift I get. Single point calibration at 75 and then storing/reading for 65 resulted in too much drift.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 10:20 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

I have 4 of these now and after re-calibrating all 4 with the 75% pack I think 1 is fubar. It's reading 71%/63f when I haven't added any cigars to the particular Wyhnter I have it in. I have 65% 320 gram Boveda packs in all 4 Wyhnters. I'm still not happy with the app performance on android either after 4 months. Half the time it takes over a minute for the app to open then another 30 seconds for the bluetooth to recognize the butlers. IDK
Sine_Qua_Non likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 10:30 AM
Purposeful Puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby-cr View Post
I have 4 of these now and after re-calibrating all 4 with the 75% pack I think 1 is fubar. It's reading 71%/63f when I haven't added any cigars to the particular Wyhnter I have it in. I have 65% 320 gram Boveda packs in all 4 Wyhnters. I'm still not happy with the app performance on android either after 4 months. Half the time it takes over a minute for the app to open then another 30 seconds for the bluetooth to recognize the butlers. IDK
Apparently the app on iOs used to have similar issues, but an update they did before I started using them must have taken care of it. Not much good if the app is that buggy on that platform. Aggravating, I'm sure.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 10:34 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine_Qua_Non View Post
Apparently the app on iOs used to have similar issues, but an update they did before I started using them must have taken care of it. Not much good if the app is that buggy on that platform. Aggravating, I'm sure.
The 2 I picked up last month are already reading that the battery is at half too. I'm starting to trust my Xicar hydro's more than the butlers tbh.
Sine_Qua_Non likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 10:38 AM
Purposeful Puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby-cr View Post
The 2 I picked up last month are already reading that the battery is at half too. I'm starting to trust my Xicar hydro's more than the butlers tbh.
The batteries they ship with from the factory are straight up hot garbage. Mine lasted a couple of months and then I had to replace them. I replaced with standard Duracell 2032s and in the last 4 months they've dropped maybe 10-15% which seems reasonable. I'd recommend just replacing them now.
Gumby-cr and lex61 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page