• 5 Post By Cigary
  • 2 Post By huffer33
  • 3 Post By TonyBrooklyn
  • 2 Post By huffer33

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-14-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Newbie in the ocean

Boveda at different temps

If I'm storing cigars at 64deg vs. 70 deg, do the same Boveda packs (72RH) yield the same RH at both degrees? I understand the difference between RA and AH, I'm just asking if the Boveda yield the same RH (assuming no leakage) at different temperatures (as I want different RH for different temperatures when storing).

Thanks!

Keith
TonyBrooklyn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-14-2019, 10:39 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Short answer, not really.
While Bovedas are two way control, and will work to adjust to your environment, they will not maintain constant humidity under all conditions.
There are a lot of variables however, such as how many grams of Bovedas you are using in how much total and unused space you are storing in.
Also the type of container you are using and the relative humidity and temperature of your environment will factor in.
I use very few Bovedas in the summer in my sealed coolers and maybe three times as many in the winter even though the relative temperature inside my house remains about the same.
Also, if you are storing cigars with 72 packs, then you either have a lot of leakage or you are storing them too high.

Go Ducks!
post #3 of 9 Old 08-15-2019, 06:27 AM
Got bumps on my ash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4hunter View Post
(as I want different RH for different temperatures when storing).

Keith
Why would you have cigars stored at different temps and RH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey's Ghost View Post
Short answer, not really.
While Bovedas are two way control, and will work to adjust to your environment, they will not maintain constant humidity under all conditions.
There are a lot of variables however, such as how many grams of Bovedas you are using in how much total and unused space you are storing in.
Also the type of container you are using and the relative humidity and temperature of your environment will factor in.
I use very few Bovedas in the summer in my sealed coolers and maybe three times as many in the winter even though the relative temperature inside my house remains about the same.
Also, if you are storing cigars with 72 packs, then you either have a lot of leakage or you are storing them too high.
Do this instead.
Same temp, same RH, NO PROBLEMS!

"I probably could have been a rocket surgeon or brain scientists." Rondo 2019

post #4 of 9 Old 08-15-2019, 01:45 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

A good thread because there is a basic misunderstanding as to how to use Bovedas....while they work very well hobbyists tend to think they can be used in ways that aren't provided for....and on Bovedas site they try and make it as simple as they can... as how they work best. Keeping a stable temperature is necessary for stability and some think they can store their cigars at 78 degrees and then buy 62% RH Bovedas and achieve equilibrium....like saying you can buy a set of tires that are supposed to be rated for 30 psi and thinking that 2 tires can be at 26 psi and the other two at 34 and get some sort of stability....Bovedas work very well but you have to use some logic. Other threads talk about using different RH Bovedas....mixed with 62, 64, 69 and then throwing in KL with beads and using gels....boggles the mind after a while and then some poor soul having to come in and explain the dynamics as to "why" would you want to mix and match....just use the one Media at the RH you want for which you need....hence the KISS method of operations.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars

Last edited by Cigary; 08-15-2019 at 03:44 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-15-2019, 08:35 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

In the winter I'm at about 65 degrees and 70-72 all summer. The 65% Boveda holds within 1% across that range.

You should reconsider using different relative humidity for different temperatures. I know the argument makes it sound good but you want constant relative humidity. Constant temperature is desirable but as long as they don't get too warm and they aren't changing frequently it is no problem.

random capitalization courtesy of gboard
Cigary and TonyBrooklyn like this.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-15-2019, 08:44 PM
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!

In case you are not already confused enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relative_humidity_wet_dry_bulb_temperature_deg_C.png
Views:	31
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	255952  

Attached Images

"Dear Lord Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad."- Eli
post #7 of 9 Old 08-16-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Newbie in the ocean

I'm asking a scientific/practical question about the Boveda packs in operation. I currently store my cigars at ~70 deg and 69 RH, I just bought a coolador and so I will have more control over temperature than just my ambient room temp.... hence the question about different deg.

I'm not storing different cigars at different temps/RH at the same time (nor attempting to change them or go back and forth). That would be dumb, but I can certainly see how that could come across based on how I wrote the orig. post.

Just thinking through my current use of Boveda packs and if I need to change what RH packets I use depending on what temperature I decide to set the coolador at.

Thanks for all the replies!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-16-2019, 11:48 AM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4hunter View Post
I'm asking a scientific/practical question about the Boveda packs in operation. I currently store my cigars at ~70 deg and 69 RH, I just bought a coolador and so I will have more control over temperature than just my ambient room temp.... hence the question about different deg.

I'm not storing different cigars at different temps/RH at the same time (nor attempting to change them or go back and forth). That would be dumb, but I can certainly see how that could come across based on how I wrote the orig. post.

Just thinking through my current use of Boveda packs and if I need to change what RH packets I use depending on what temperature I decide to set the coolador at.

Thanks for all the replies!
If the container seals well like a good Tupper you will get basically what it says on the pack for humidity across the temperature range you are discussing. A lot of people here do recommend 65% or even lower... If you haven't tried that it might be worth separating some out and letting them acclimate for several months at the lower humidity.

random capitalization courtesy of gboard
Peapaw and keith4hunter like this.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-13-2019, 08:59 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

FWIW, between ~62 degrees F and ~68 degrees F, I found Bovedas to regulate pretty much on-par with their advertised RH. I realize the scientific differences between RH and AH and the differences temperature can have on those, but honestly, we're only talking a few degrees here. If we were comparing, say, 40 degrees F to 75 degrees F, then sure, that's going to generate a material difference. But with only a variation of a few degrees ? In my experience, extremely negligible differences that I couldn't attribute to the temperature difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
boveda temperature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page