cabinet style humidor cooling - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 83 Old 04-22-2005, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

cabinet style humidor cooling

With summer approching & a few folks asking about keeping their humidors at or below 70F in temperature, heres a list of possible solutions. Feel free to add your solutions or suggestions as well.

Other then keeping the room the humidor is in cooled, the only other option is to keep the humidor itself cool. Those lucky enough to have a basement need not worry about this heat issue as much as those of us without one.

After doing some reaserch on this, theres 2+ possible solutions (neither of which is very inexpensive).

An internal air conditioner style cooling system

or

A thermoelectric cooling system.

Cooling
http://www.vinotemp.com/
http://www.eurocave.com/site/pages/p...s/produits.php

Thermoelectric cooling
http://www.kryothermusa.com/Kryother...%20Devices.htm

I know Coleman once offered a thermoelectric cooling device in one of their cooolers & some have suggested buying the cooler just to rip out the cooling device and modify it to fit their humidors. So far I havent heard of anyone doing this personally though.

Another solution would be to buy a wine refrigerator simular to the picture below and changing out the thermostat to achieve a slightly higher temperature (65F-70F):

Any other solutions you have found would be a great addition to this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 04-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Enjoying life...

Re: cabinet style humidor cooling

Great solutions. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. At some point, I have to convince the wife to let me convert a fridge.
post #3 of 83 Old 04-22-2005, 11:26 AM

Great post Poker!
Got a question, Wine Ref. do you need to replace the thermostat unit or you mean, adjusting it? sorry, not familliar with this.
Cayman summer can go up to 98F or higher, looks like a good idea instead of leaving the ac on all the time.

Muchas Gracias!

post #4 of 83 Old 04-22-2005, 11:34 AM

Nice post poker, thanks.
I am definitely going to have to look into changing out the thermostat on my Magic Chef wine chiller. It has extremely crappy temp control right now. Does anyone know what type of thermostats these things have? is it some kind of cheap thermocouple (my guess) that is readily swapped out, or can I get a totally separate thermometer/control unit for this puppy?

I know Goatlocker has the same chiller - maybe he's gotten around to making some more alterations.
post #5 of 83 Old 04-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Sneaky Bombin Bastage

Thanks Poker. Great information. I've been eyeing the wine refrigerator for some time now. But my question is, do you have to worry about condensation and if you do, how do you deal with it. My knowledge on this subject is severely limited.
post #6 of 83 Old 04-22-2005, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishm2
Thanks Poker. Great information. I've been eyeing the wine refrigerator for some time now. But my question is, do you have to worry about condensation and if you do, how do you deal with it. My knowledge on this subject is severely limited.
I've been using a wine regrigerator with just under a pound of beads from Viper in a bowl in the bottom of the unit. I've had no problems with condensation but I do open it regularly
post #7 of 83 Old 04-22-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
The only problem I have with condensation is when the condenser is actually running. Putting a small PC fan (you can get AC or DC fans - search for edison-a-dor for more info) aimed up along the condenser tubes in the back pretty well eliminates the problem. It is a pretty simple thing to wire the fan to the condenser, so the fan comes on when the condenser does, and voila!. It would be nice to be able to set the fan to stay on for ten minutes or so after the condenser shuts down. i think I may be doing a little research on this over the weekend, if I get time (like I need another project).
post #8 of 83 Old 04-22-2005, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Heres an example of the Coleman cooler with a thermoelectric cooler built in I mentioned earlier:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...149132204&rd=1

post #9 of 83 Old 04-22-2005, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
But my question is, do you have to worry about condensation and if you do, how do you deal with it. My knowledge on this subject is severely limited.

one of the guys that hangs with us on Saturday nights on the patio has his wine chiller modified with a new thermostat. I believe he has a tupperware container that holds a pound or so of the humidification beads directly under the refrigeration unit and any moisture condensated on the coils drops off into the bead container, thus recyling the humidity lost back into the enclosed environment.

Gee, I hope that made sense !
post #10 of 83 Old 04-22-2005, 01:54 PM

Can you use a compact fridge? Is there major diffrences in the two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cabinet, cooling, humidor, style

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page