How hard is it to build your own humidor? - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-21-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

How hard is it to build your own humidor?

I want to build a humidor, I went to school for Carpentry and I do it for a living, so I have an idea of what to do. But I'm going to have my Dads friend help me because he's more into woodworking and he smokes pipes. But my Dad says he can carve stuff and all that so I'd like to carve something cool into it. I know its good to use Spanish Cedar.. But other than that, what goes into it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Badass Honey Squid

Re: How hard is it to build your own humidor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasflood513 View Post
But other than that, what goes into it?
Cigars mostly, but you'll also want humidity control of some sort, more cigars, a thermometer and hygrometer likely and even more cigars.

Ok, now the non-smartass answer. It's as difficult as you want it to be. If you want some extravagant box, it'll take some work. If you want a rectangle with 6 sides to hold some cigars and nothing more, it'll be a walk in the park. Find a wood you like and a grain pattern that you like, assemble the thing and put a good coating of lacquer on it.

Make sure the seal on it fits tightly. A box with a tight seal feels good. Nobody wants a box with a loose seal.

Most people here go the wine chiller or cooler route because they are cheap and easy. A good looking humidor made from a good looking wood will be a conversation piece for quite some time though.

I probably didn't answer your question, so to sum it up, it's not difficult to BYO if you know some basic woodworking and understand how a humidor works in regards to the cedar.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Pipe Carver

Building your own humidor is extremely rewarding. I spent aprox 6 months building mine with only a few hours a week devoted to it but it was worth it. In fact it is still incomplete as I need to build more trays.

Adam is right. It can be as simple or as difficult as you want it to be. I will say however that a good cedar on cedar seal is the hardest part to achieve if you do not have the right tools.

Check out my build thread for some idea of the scopecreep.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Full grown Puffer Fish

alot of time, i built myself one but in the end i ended up with just a nice box that i was proud of rather than a humidor. it took me 10 days of work and i probably worked about 5 hours a day on it. i dont at all regret it even though i didnt end up with somthing i was comfortable with keeping my cigars in. i will definatly give it another go soon and i honestly wouldent mind another box that dosent work as a humidor because it is just that much fun. one of my art teachers once told me that "it is not art if you dont want to throw it across the room at one point or another" and building a humidor is definatly doing some art. there is a prety good guide somwhere on the internet that really helped me, it was from some woodworking magazine. either way i would find a complete guide before starting, you dont have to follow it completly but it will at least awnser some of the more important questions. have fun, good luck and post pictures!

Insert Verb of Choice: _______ Naked!:usa:
post #5 of 10 Old 08-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Newbie in the ocean

checkout www sawmillcreek org. goto the forum, and then goto 'woodworking projects' . these guys are the cream of the crop when it comes to woodworking. I've seen some awesome humidors over there.

you would at least need a tablesaw and a router/ router table.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Central Cali Cigar Crew

If you do it.... Pictures..... Or It Didn't Happen !!!
post #7 of 10 Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 AM
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWiebe View Post
Building your own humidor is extremely rewarding. I spent aprox 6 months building mine with only a few hours a week devoted to it but it was worth it. In fact it is still incomplete as I need to build more trays.

Adam is right. It can be as simple or as difficult as you want it to be. I will say however that a good cedar on cedar seal is the hardest part to achieve if you do not have the right tools.

Check out my build thread for some idea of the scopecreep.
I remember that thread that was a great build!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
Jimi Hendrix

post #8 of 10 Old 08-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Not so young Puffer

I'm a Cabinetmaker by trade. I built my own and it is not an easy thing to do. I do not want to discourage you, but I can also do Framing and Rough Carpentry. They are not the same as Cabinet Making (which is what you are doing when you make a Humidor). I'm assuming your talking about something more than a mere Tabletop Humidor that will hold 25-50 cigars.

That being said before you cut your first piece of wood, you need HARD answers to the following:
(1) Capacity not today or next month, 2 years from now is a good start. Almost antbody on this forum can tell you Cigars can be a slippery slope. One day you have 25, then next 300. You will also need to draw thing out to find any building or measurement flaws. You cannot 'wing it' like Capentry. Everything needs to be accurate to the 1/16". Nothing worse than building your Humidor and finding out the doors or drawers are 1/4" too big or too small.
(2) Style and Wood Species. Will it be a Chest. Stand up. Credenza. End Table. Do you want it made out of Exotics ($$$) or good ole Oak. You choice will affect the look and more importantly the cost. Too many people think they can build a good Humidor for $200. It's not possible. So it is better to save the trees and NOT build one if you are not going to be able to finish it (by that I mean in both time and money).
(3) A way to control the Humidity and Temperature if you live somewhere where you Humidor in it's final resting spot will get over 75 degrees. You will need to figure out how to cool it. Temperature control is not an easy thing to do. There are people who have figured it out but their systems run well over $1000, just for the equipment to cool a stand up Humidor. If you need to cool it, you will also need to INSULATE it. Again another pain to overcome.
(4) You need to find a source for you wood and equipment and be able to fund this project. Even in the Chicago area it is not easy to find Spanish Cedar. You won't find it at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. You will need to find a Specialty Wood Supplier. You will either pay up front to have the stock milled down to your specs, or you will have to have serious machines to resaw and mill the wood down to your specs. You will not be able to make a nice Humidor with a Miter saw and a Jigsaw.

I do not want to sound like Mr. Negative. Makiing your own Humidor can be very Rewarding and Enjoyable. But not properly thought out, it can make you pull your hair out and go broke.

If you decide on this project, please feel free to PM me and I would be more than happy to help you any way I can, and even help you 'Find' stuff on the internet to help you build your Humidor.

Ray

When you feel like you have too many cigars without anywhere to put them....you ACTUALLY have a 'Space' problem and need to get more 'Space' for more cigars. I hope this is clear.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-22-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Thanks for all the tips. My Dad's friend is a master woodworker.. So building it isn't the hard part. Its all the figuring and how to keep the temperature stable that will be a bitch. He teaches wood working at a high school though, so he is pretty smart.... And Ray, I will certainly keep you in mind.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Young Puffer Fish

The hardest part I think is in the construction of the actual wooden box. If you're good with dovetail and tenon joints, that's fine. But if you're not, the easier route would be to just work on a ready made box of a suitable material. These are usually quite readily available. I used one made of mahogany.

I have outlined the steps to make a humidor using this method, with photos and description along the way at Making Your Own Humidor. Please take a look at the article, and I welcome any comments or constructive suggestions for improvement.

I have also provided links at the bottom of my page for sourcing most of the tools and components for successfully constructing the humidor, for the convenience of the hobbyist who wishes to attempt to build one. I had difficulties sourcing these in my earlier days, and had delayed the construction of my humidor. Those sources were researched for what I believe to be at the best value or at the best prices, to the best of my knowledge and endeavour. And I have to say, it was really fun with a sense of accomplishment at the end. I have also included tips on maintaining it in good humidity and condition. Last check about 3 days ago, it was at 72%RH.

I wish anyone who embarks on this journey the best of luck and success!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
build, hard, humidor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page