6Likes
  • 3 Post By Kidvegas
  • 1 Post By Kal-El
  • 2 Post By Kal-El

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-08-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Newbie in the ocean

Where do you keep your hygrometers at?

So I would like to preface this by saying I know this might be a stupid question but........

A little back story, back in April I bought a NewAir CC-330H, seasoned it and stocked it with a little over 200 cigars. I started using 65% Bovedas and was keeping the temp. between 69-70. For about 6-8 weeks everything was good but before I knew it the RH skyrocketed and 95% of my cigars became way over humidified. This was unfortunately my fault do to improperly seasoning the coolidor by bringing the RH up like what would be done in a standard all wood humidor. Using some wise advise from users here, I slowly brought the RH down using KL. It has been a long process, I started this in July, but I have finally gotten everything evened out where the coolidor is sitting at an average of 65 degrees and 65% RH and I only lost about 10 cigars to mold.

To my question, during this process I used several SensorPush hygrometers top top to bottom to monitor the progress as I went. I noticed that when the hygrometers were sitting toward the front of the shelves they would read a higher (warmer) temp. and a lower RH, if they were placed in the middle of the shelves they would read a lower (cooler) temp. with a slightly higher Rh and if they were placed towards the back of the shelves they would read a low (cold) temp and a high RH. I understand why these readings are different and how the humidity is relative to temperature hence why it is called RH. The difference, depending on the shelf can vary by 3 degrees and 2-4% RH. Now don't get me wrong everything still stays between 63-67% RH and 65-68 degrees and there is nothing wrong with those numbers. My question is simply which sensor placement / reading would be the best and most accurate, front, middle or back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-08-2019, 03:43 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Where do you keep your hygrometers at?

Thatís a tuff question to answer. Youíve got couple hygros in there spread around trying to narrow down which is the most accurate or where to put them for a perfect reading probably ainít gonna happen. As youíve said your numbers are all within range. Never been one to chase the numbers myself. As long as the Rh is below 68 and the temps are under 70 Iím a happy boy. If the smokes are puffing well then your doing fine.

I donít use sensor push in my wineador. Iíve got one Caliber V round and a cheap Accuritie from Home Depot. The caliber V is mounted to the uppermost drawer which Iíve move to the very top itís reading a steady 65%. The Accurite is on a shelf closest to the bottom at 64%. Both are very close to the glass front door. Iíve never moved them around front to back. Just wanted a steady reading top ta bottom. All the cigars within have been in the wineador at least a year and a half and some for over 3. All are smoking great which is why Iíve never messed with the hygrometer placement, just no reasons to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANYTIME IS STOGIE TIME!

Last edited by Kidvegas; 12-08-2019 at 09:54 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-08-2019, 10:33 PM
Young Puffer Fish

Strange that your NewAir was doodling along at the 69-70% RH mark you mentioned on cruise control and then went psycho at the 6 week mark. Good to hear you have it under control now.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-09-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Newbie in the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidvegas View Post
That’s a tuff question to answer. You’ve got couple hygros in there spread around trying to narrow down which is the most accurate or where to put them for a perfect reading probably ain’t gonna happen. As you’ve said your numbers are all within range. Never been one to chase the numbers myself. As long as the Rh is below 68 and the temps are under 70 I’m a happy boy. If the smokes are puffing well then your doing fine.

I don’t use sensor push in my wineador. I’ve got one Caliber V round and a cheap Accuritie from Home Depot. The caliber V is mounted to the uppermost drawer which I’ve move to the very top it’s reading a steady 65%. The Accurite is on a shelf closest to the bottom at 64%. Both are very close to the glass front door. I’ve never moved them around front to back. Just wanted a steady reading top ta bottom. All the cigars within have been in the wineador at least a year and a half and some for over 3. All are smoking great which is why I’ve never messed with the hygrometer placement, just no reasons to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya I’m with you. I’m not trying to chase numbers, just after working with this for the past 5 months I have just been moving the hygrometers around and noticed the differences and was just curious as to where others kept theirs to monitor their conditions. All in all I’m just ecstatic I didn’t loose more than I did. Was super great full for the advise I got here that helped me do that!!
Kidvegas likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-09-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Newbie in the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGringo View Post
Strange that your NewAir was doodling along at the 69-70% RH mark you mentioned on cruise control and then went psycho at the 6 week mark. Good to hear you have it under control now.
Re-reading this post I see I could have stated this a bit differently and skyrocketed probably wasn’t the best way to explain it. So I didn’t understand at first either, but when I first posted about the issue here it was explained to me that the issue was from when I initially seasoned it. I used the 84% Boveda pack and brought it up into the 80% range and all the Spanish cedar absorbed it all. Once I added all of my cigars that were already at their proper RH and now in an air tight container there was nowhere for any of the excess humidity to bleed off and the cigars in turn absorbed it. But yes I am super stoked that I didn’t lose more than I did and glad I got the great advised and support I did from the sets here!!
OldGringo and Kidvegas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page