any Diabetic cigar smokers? - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

any Diabetic cigar smokers?

I am a diabetic and a cigar smoker which can cause elevated blood sugars anyone have any tips or discussion on this topic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Re: any Diabetic cigar smokers?

I'm a "borderline" diabetic according to my family doctor, both of my parents have type II, I often get intense cravings for sweets after a cigar, I too would like to now others experiences?
post #3 of 14 Old 12-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Ole one leg.

Send a message via AIM to EdATX Send a message via Yahoo to EdATX

I'm type 2. I've not checked my BS after smoking or anything, but I normally check in the morning and it's been below 100 each time I checked. But my diet is also fairly bad. I eat one meal a day, just don't have an appetite with 2 of the meds I take (i'm sure I could have all 3 meals, but I just don't mind it). Of course, I don't drink any soft drinks any more and have cut back in my intake of bad things like candy and chips.

But today I was bad and did have a wee bit of candy. But tommorow, i'll try to remember to check my BS after I have my smoke and get back to this post.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-28-2008, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

saw this on a google search

Nicotine also inhibits the release of insulin from the pancreas, a hormone that is responsible for removing excess sugar from a person's blood. This leaves the smoker in a slightly hyperglycemic condition, meaning he has more sugar in his blood than is normal. High blood sugar acts as an appetite suppressant, which may be why smokers think their cigarettes reduce hunger.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

I am a diabetic cigar smoker, but I also use insulin. I check my blood sugar 3-4 times per day. I haven't noticed any elevated levels. If you are concerned about this, I would recommend you talk to your family doctor. Hyperglycemia can cause long term problems.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-28-2008, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

more curious than concerned actually I have been reading some posts here where people say to eat sugar if you get sick off of nic, started researching and it made me wonder it anyone had these issues.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
saw this on a google search

Nicotine also inhibits the release of insulin from the pancreas, a hormone that is responsible for removing excess sugar from a person's blood. This leaves the smoker in a slightly hyperglycemic condition, meaning he has more sugar in his blood than is normal. High blood sugar acts as an appetite suppressant, which may be why smokers think their cigarettes reduce hunger.
Allthough there are allot of individual factors at play; I wonder how long the post cigar hyperglycemic state lasts? My sweet cravings may be a habit more than a bonifide need for sugar. Scary considering i'm dumping more sugar into my body when it allready has elevated levels.

Anyone else get cravings for sweets after a cigar?
post #8 of 14 Old 12-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Will Work for Boli GM's..

Send a message via AIM to Neuromancer

I'm a T2 also...check my BG one or two times a day...may have one or two cigars a day, or one or two pipefuls a day, or one of each...haven't noticed any major problem with my blood sugar...I guess it might have more to do with how much you smoke in a day, but that's just a guess...

There is as much water on Earth now as three billion years ago. While the amount of water has remained static, the amount of Tequila and Triple Sec available for making Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 14 Old 12-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Young Fish

I have Type 2 Diabetes and I haven't noticed any effect of smoking cigars on my glucose level. Of course everyone's body is different and you should do what you feel you have to to keep your blood sugar levels managed properly.

:mn
post #10 of 14 Old 12-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Will Work for Boli GM's..

Send a message via AIM to Neuromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarkin View Post
I have Type 2 Diabetes and I haven't noticed any effect of smoking cigars on my glucose level. Of course everyone's body is different and you should do what you feel you have to to keep your blood sugar levels managed properly.

:mn
The key is management..I take 2.5mg of glyburide with breakfast and 2000mg of metformin/glucophage (ER) at dinner...usually keeps me in the 90's fasting and 120-140 after meals...8 months ago ,my A1C was 9.9...now it's 6.7 and I'm going for lower...

There is as much water on Earth now as three billion years ago. While the amount of water has remained static, the amount of Tequila and Triple Sec available for making Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cigar, diabetic, smokers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page