Does coffee raise cholesterol levels? - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 10Likes
  • 3 Post By mi000ke
  • 3 Post By JtAv8tor
  • 4 Post By bpegler

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-13-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Newbie in the ocean

Cool Does coffee raise cholesterol levels?

Cafestol, a compound in coffee, is a potential stimulator of increased LDL cholesterol. “The catch is, it’s found in the oily portion of coffee,” says Weddig. “If you use a paper filter to make your coffee instead of something like a French Press, you lose that component.” Mesh filters, like those in a French press, will not eliminate the cafestol. However, if you don’t already have elevated LDL cholesterol, you likely don’t need to be concerned, says Weddig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-13-2016, 05:25 PM
No longer a community member.

Coffe in it self has no cholesterol, but being a stimulant, it could raise cholesterol. Per the retired Nurse to my right.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-15-2016, 09:21 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessik View Post
Cafestol, a compound in coffee, is a potential stimulator of increased LDL cholesterol. “The catch is, it’s found in the oily portion of coffee,” says Weddig. “If you use a paper filter to make your coffee instead of something like a French Press, you lose that component.” Mesh filters, like those in a French press, will not eliminate the cafestol. However, if you don’t already have elevated LDL cholesterol, you likely don’t need to be concerned, says Weddig.
The Straight Dope on Cholesterol: 10 Things You Need to Know - Part 1 | Mark's Daily Apple

Cholesterol is your friend. Statins are not...

The Evidence Continues to Mount Against Statins | Mark's Daily Apple

Low Cholesterol is not the answer.

Tim Russert?s Fatal Heart Attack Was Preventable, He Followed Antiquated Advice « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

There, I'm done with my soap box. Don't worry about Coffee unless you have issues with caffeine.

“I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips"

post #4 of 8 Old 11-16-2016, 09:52 AM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Location: Massachusetts and Grand Cayman Island depending on the weather

Don't know about cholesterol, but coffee is pretty darn good for you health wise. If you believe in science, read this from Dr. Sanjiv Chopra of the Harvard Medical School

Why Coffee Is Good For Your Health: Dr. Sanjiv Chopra Explains - mindbodygreen.com

Obligatory cigar content: I met Dr. Chopra last year at our local cigar bar, and we smoked a cigar together. He told me his specialty was nutrition and longevity. So I asked him about the key things to consume for a healthy life. He listed 5 key things the research supports (including coffee). Then I asked how a doctor who specializes in wellness could be smoking cigars. he replied: "Right now my wife is out shopping, and I am sitting here with you having a nice conversation over a cigar." He went on to explain that the final element to wellness is low stress. So now I have a health reason to keep smoking.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-16-2016, 04:10 PM
Cynical Sumbich Moderator

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

Right out of the gate and you're going after my most precious early morning ritual? What other balloons are you going to pop?

Gotta love differing opinions...
It's the creamers and other dairy additives that we put into our coffees that drive this coffee/cholesterol debate. According to the blog below:

https://www.verywell.com/can-coffee-...esterol-697708

"Unfiltered coffees, also known as “boiled” coffees, do not employ a filter and include espresso, Turkish coffees, and French press coffees. Coffee contains many ingredients, most notably caffeine, chlorogenic acid, and chemicals called diterpenes. Many studies have examined the health benefits of coffee, paying particularly close attention to caffeine. Some studies have even suggested that drinking coffee may prevent diseases such as type II diabetes mellitus, Parkinson’s disease, certain types of liver cancer – and possibly improve your heart health by lowering your cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

Can Coffee Lower Your Lipid Levels?
To date, coffee consumption has not been directly associated with cardiovascular disease, but some studies reveal that some forms of coffee may adversely affect your lipid profile.

Although most studies have noted that filtered coffee has a neutral effect on lipid levels, unfiltered coffee appears to increase LDL, total cholesterol, and triglycerides in some studies."

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
post #6 of 8 Old 08-12-2017, 08:59 AM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Right out of the gate and you're going after my most precious early morning ritual? What other balloons are you going to pop?

Gotta love differing opinions...
It's the creamers and other dairy additives that we put into our coffees that drive this coffee/cholesterol debate. According to the blog below:

https://www.verywell.com/can-coffee-...esterol-697708

"Unfiltered coffees, also known as “boiled” coffees, do not employ a filter and include espresso, Turkish coffees, and French press coffees. Coffee contains many ingredients, most notably caffeine, chlorogenic acid, and chemicals called diterpenes. Many studies have examined the health benefits of coffee, paying particularly close attention to caffeine. Some studies have even suggested that drinking coffee may prevent diseases such as type II diabetes mellitus, Parkinson’s disease, certain types of liver cancer – and possibly improve your heart health by lowering your cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

Can Coffee Lower Your Lipid Levels?
To date, coffee consumption has not been directly associated with cardiovascular disease, but some studies reveal that some forms of coffee may adversely affect your lipid profile.

Although most studies have noted that filtered coffee has a neutral effect on lipid levels, unfiltered coffee appears to increase LDL, total cholesterol, and triglycerides in some studies."
I'm resurrecting this post since I like the topic. From what I've heard and read is there is no correlation between high cholesterol and heart disease. The concern is your reactive c level of your blood. Inflammation is what one should fear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

“I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips"
post #7 of 8 Old 08-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Chaotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogiepuffer View Post
I'm resurrecting this post since I like the topic. From what I've heard and read is there is no correlation between high cholesterol and heart disease. The concern is your reactive c level of your blood. Inflammation is what one should fear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My flight surgeon says...coffee is terrible for blood pressure...but good for staying out of prison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bpegler, UBC03 and Alrightdriver like this.

Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order and everything becomes chaos. I am an agent of chaos. ~ J
post #8 of 8 Old 08-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Smoking Volunteer

I eat red meat, smoke cigars, and drink a pot of coffee in the morning.

Life is really good.

Out of the blue and into the black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coffee, coffee beans, coffee or chocolate, mocha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page