Piper PIF PPIF if you will - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 06-12-2017, 02:00 AM
The "retired" Gunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFish View Post
I want to play and think that the way you have it set up is fine.

However, I suspect that the really new guys to the pipe game will be reluctant to get involved because they will feel like they don't have anything on hand that the experienced guys haven't already grown out of or have big piles of stashed in their "cellar." I think that most new guys start off with a few tried and true blends (often cheap drug store brands that probably won't excite the pipe veterans) and smoke them for a long while because they can get so many bowls out of their first few tins/pouches. These new guys are probably the ones that would benefit most by receiving a sampler package from an experienced pipe smoker but what can they offer in return? I notice that this is not called a Noob PPIF and I guess there's nothing wrong with fresh Noobs waiting until they have a stash built up before they can get in on a pass.

If the intent of the PPIF were to be specifically aimed at expanding the horizons of noobs then maybe each noob could be paired with a veteran, the veteran could send a variety sampler of the blends that they have in their stash, and the noob could go out and buy something that the veteran says they would like to smoke. This way the noobs could get some experience with a variety of blends and the veterans could get something that they actually want.

I don't know. Maybe I'm making the whole thing way more complicated than it needs to be. I just know how much I benefited from the variety pack samplers that some generous pipe veterans bombed on me when I started and it seems like there are quite a few fresh pipe noobs around here (with a limited stock on hand) that would really benefit from something similar but might be intimidated by the thought of jumping in on a PIF with a bunch of more experienced guys.

Any trade sounds good to me and I'm game for however it works out.

Great idea! I'll hop in here as well. I don't have the largest cellar but I like to think I have a good one. Ha!
UBC03, OneStrangeOne and NightFish like this.

If it looks bad, smells bad and tastes bad, it's too late...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 06-12-2017, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
CAT WRANGLER

@NightFish...

If the noobs wanna play but don't have the inventory. They can just order a couple tins their pif may be interested in and have em shipped directly..

So when I do sign ups they'll need to specify if they will need to buy their pif, so I don't have two noobs back to back.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #13 of 19 Old 06-12-2017, 12:30 PM
AKA Vader Clause

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post
@NightFish...

If the noobs wanna play but don't have the inventory. They can just order a couple tins their pif may be interested in and have em shipped directly..

So when I do sign ups they'll need to specify if they will need to buy their pif, so I don't have two noobs back to back.

Or like I plan on doing is going to local B&M and picking some house blends up, understanding that not everyone has that option to them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike2147, UBC03 and NightFish like this.

I am not dying until I am damn good and ready.

post #14 of 19 Old 06-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Got bumps on my ash!

Quote:
I want to play and think that the way you have it set up is fine.

However, I suspect that the really new guys to the pipe game will be reluctant to get involved because they will feel like they don't have anything on hand that the experienced guys haven't already grown out of or have big piles of stashed in their "cellar." I think that most new guys start off with a few tried and true blends (often cheap drug store brands that probably won't excite the pipe veterans) and smoke them for a long while because they can get so many bowls out of their first few tins/pouches. These new guys are probably the ones that would benefit most by receiving a sampler package from an experienced pipe smoker but what can they offer in return? I notice that this is not called a Noob PPIF and I guess there's nothing wrong with fresh Noobs waiting until they have a stash built up before they can get in on a pass.

If the intent of the PPIF were to be specifically aimed at expanding the horizons of noobs then maybe each noob could be paired with a veteran, the veteran could send a variety sampler of the blends that they have in their stash, and the noob could go out and buy something that the veteran says they would like to smoke. This way the noobs could get some experience with a variety of blends and the veterans could get something that they actually want.

I don't know. Maybe I'm making the whole thing way more complicated than it needs to be. I just know how much I benefited from the variety pack samplers that some generous pipe veterans bombed on me when I started and it seems like there are quite a few fresh pipe noobs around here (with a limited stock on hand) that would really benefit from something similar but might be intimidated by the thought of jumping in on a PIF with a bunch of more experienced guys.

Any trade sounds good to me and I'm game for however it works out.
Quote:
@NightFish...

As a noob this was inded my first reaction. The only tobacco I have is what I have been sent so what do I have to offer?. However, with that in mind, I still want to learn from you veteran pipers, so I like the idea of pairing up and going that route. Kinda like a mentor type thing. As far as being fair, though I don't have much in my inventory to offer, I have no issues direct shipping from an online retailer. I really think this "PPIF" will be a fun deal.

"I probably could have been a rocket surgeon or brain scientists." Rondo 2019
post #15 of 19 Old 06-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
@NightFish...

I like it. That sounds like a simple and straightforward way for noobs to get in the game.

However, I once tried to have Famous ship a fiver of yard gars directly to Nathan and they wouldn't do it because they couldn't verify that he was old enough to receive tobacco products. We've all seen Yukoner bomb CI samplers all over the map, so we know it's possible, but there may be a hiccup or two until we figure out which retailers are willing to ship to someone other than the buyer.
Mike2147 likes this.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-12-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
I like it. That sounds like a simple and straightforward way for noobs to get in the game.

However, I once tried to have Famous ship a fiver of yard gars directly to Nathan and they wouldn't do it because they couldn't verify that he was old enough to receive tobacco products. We've all seen Yukoner bomb CI samplers all over the map, so we know it's possible, but there may be a hiccup or two until we figure out which retailers are willing to ship to someone other than the buyer.
Just use it as an alternate shipping address..smokingpipes and pipes and cigars usually don't have an issue.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #17 of 19 Old 06-24-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
CAT WRANGLER

Just thought it'd give this a bump.

Probably get it fired up in the next week or two.

post #18 of 19 Old 06-25-2017, 03:59 AM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Still too new to the pipes, but will still enjoy watching this go off if enough people come around... Seems to me that there are very few regular posters here in the pipe forums so this will be challenging.

Looks like there are a few old threads floating around related to Noobs, PIF's and Trades but they are covered in dust...

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
post #19 of 19 Old 07-23-2018, 03:39 PM
No longer a community member.

Bumping this because this comment rings so true for @Rabidawise! And myself... But I was in control a bit more than he.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtAv8tor View Post
I ain't a pipe smoker but I will get a few bags of the house blends from my local B&M to throw in !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm probably not going to fire it up til the beginning of July or so... You might be a piper by then..It happens fast, usually before you even realize it's happening..lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page