Before and after - Page 4 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 08-23-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFish View Post
Got 'em, @UBC03.
Your weren't kidding that they look better in person than in the pictures. They're all lookin good ... really seriously freaking good.
It's hard to believe that $30 worth of cheap unfinished pipes came out this awesome.
Thanks again for doing this Brother! You time and work are very much appreciated.
Now to find out how they smoke. I'm excited to see what this briar business is all about.
Glad you like em

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
NightFish likes this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 08-24-2017, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Got 'em, @UBC03.
Your weren't kidding that they look better in person than in the pictures. They're all lookin good ... really seriously freaking good.
It's hard to believe that $30 worth of cheap unfinished pipes came out this awesome.
Thanks again for doing this Brother! You time and work are very much appreciated.
Now to find out how they smoke. I'm excited to see what this briar business is all about.
How'd she smoke?

Alrightdriver likes this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #33 of 48 Old 08-24-2017, 02:54 AM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post
How'd she smoke?
I don't think I can give a definitive answer after just one smoke and without any other briar experience to compare it to but she did the job just fine as far as I can tell so far. I did get just a wee bit of a gurgle near the end of the bowl, which was new to me, but I guess that may not be the pipe's fault. It was certainly nice and comfortable to clench and hold in hand. I look forward to smoking it again tomorrow and hopefully starting to get a better feel for what it's all about.

I'm trying to break it in easy with Carter Hall because I think I once read somewhere that it's a good blend for breaking in a new pipe but I would much rather smoke something else. It's become clear that blends that go heavy on the burley just aren't for me and I'm not sure how long my patience with CH is going to hold up.

Is there really any danger in just smoking whatever I want in a new pipe? What if I stay away from aromatics and latakia bombs for a awhile and just go with something simple like Dunhill 965 or EMP. How much do I need to baby this thing before letting loose?
UBC03 likes this.

post #34 of 48 Old 08-24-2017, 08:16 AM
Retired Chaos Designer

Quote:
I don't think I can give a definitive answer after just one smoke and without any other briar experience to compare it to but she did the job just fine as far as I can tell so far. I did get just a wee bit of a gurgle near the end of the bowl, which was new to me, but I guess that may not be the pipe's fault. It was certainly nice and comfortable to clench and hold in hand. I look forward to smoking it again tomorrow and hopefully starting to get a better feel for what it's all about.

I'm trying to break it in easy with Carter Hall because I think I once read somewhere that it's a good blend for breaking in a new pipe but I would much rather smoke something else. It's become clear that blends that go heavy on the burley just aren't for me and I'm not sure how long my patience with CH is going to hold up.

Is there really any danger in just smoking whatever I want in a new pipe? What if I stay away from aromatics and latakia bombs for a awhile and just go with something simple like Dunhill 965 or EMP. How much do I need to baby this thing before letting loose?
A bit of a gurgle in a new pipe is not uncommon, for the first few smokes the main thing to avoid is letting it get hot. I've had some issues with using Latakia blends for a break in on a new pipe, the cake doesn't really seem to get hard and it causes a lot of wet smokes, I've come close to tossing out pipes from frustration because of this. Burly will set a good hard neutral cake, since CH doesn't work for you maybe take a look at some of The C&D offerings and see if you can find something you like. It might take a little longer but that's better that trying to smoke something you don't like.
I've had good luck with Briar Fox for break in but it's kinda bland, the flavor is there but it's very subtle.
After you get about 30-50 bowls thu if it's still gurgling get back to us, I might know how to fix it 👍
NightFish likes this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #35 of 48 Old 08-24-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:

CH builds cake quicker than most and won't ghost your pipe. As for the gurgling. If you're clenching it may be spit collecting. I just run a cleaner down once or twice. It'll soak it up.

NightFish likes this.

post #36 of 48 Old 08-24-2017, 01:44 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Thanks for the advice guys. It's always very much appreciated.

I'll try and stick it out through some more CH. It's not that bad, it's just not that good either.
I guess one problem I'm going to need to face is the fact that I have 3 new Dino finished pipes and 2 more new briars on the way. I'm definitely not about to smoke weeks worth of CH in each of 5 new pipes all at once. However, I have no problem breaking in one at a time over as much time as it takes while smoking my cobs with the other stuff alongside them. I'll see what C&D has to offer but am hoping that CH grows on me at least a little more as time goes on. If having three kids has taught me anything it's the value of patience.
post #37 of 48 Old 08-24-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. It's always very much appreciated.

I'll try and stick it out through some more CH. It's not that bad, it's just not that good either.
I guess one problem I'm going to need to face is the fact that I have 3 new Dino finished pipes and 2 more new briars on the way. I'm definitely not about to smoke weeks worth of CH in each of 5 new pipes all at once. However, I have no problem breaking in one at a time over as much time as it takes while smoking my cobs with the other stuff alongside them. I'll see what C&D has to offer but am hoping that CH grows on me at least a little more as time goes on. If having three kids has taught me anything it's the value of patience.
It won't grow on ya..lol

Just smoke enough to get a little char our cage built up. I usually smoke at least five or six bowls.

post #38 of 48 Old 08-24-2017, 02:01 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
It won't grow on ya..lol

Just smoke enough to get a little char our cage built up. I usually smoke at least five or six bowls.
Five or six won't be hard to do at all. For some reason I was thinking I needed to do more like 20 per pipe.
That's a relief to hear. Thanks.
UBC03 and Alrightdriver like this.
post #39 of 48 Old 08-24-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Five or six won't be hard to do at all. For some reason I was thinking I needed to do more like 20 per pipe.
That's a relief to hear. Thanks.
Some guys do it THAT way..

I'm not saying I'm right.It's just how I do it. CH is like a punishment to me.

NightFish and Alrightdriver like this.

post #40 of 48 Old 08-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Some guys do it THAT way..

I'm not saying I'm right.It's just how I do it. CH is like a punishment to me.

Does it have to be ch? Or would something like haunted bookshop work just as well?

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page