Puff.com Questions & Answers: Moving Forward - Page 12 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 496 Old 02-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Scotch & Cigars

Re: Puff.com Questions & Answers: Moving Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
As far as competing sites.. I have no problem with a regular member here discussing random topics and saying 'hey, there is a good thread over here you may be interested in' and linking to a competing site. I consider that kind of 'fair use' -- however, there were hundreds of posts here where all that was posted was a link to a competing site. That isn't fair use, that is blatant advertising and these links were being posted even in threads that had nothing to do with the other site. It was essentially graffiti. That necessitated the use of the filter to keep that from happening. It is sad and unfortunate and hopefully after things calm down it can be removed and we can go back to normal.
No offense but what did you guys expect to happen? Puff went dark for over a month with no explanation leaving many people hanging, I lost dozens of Overseas Addresses that I used to send Cigars to our Troops overseas. Then one day the site magically re-appears and NOTHING is said, that email that was send yesterday should have went out before the site was ever brought up, that would have stopped 90% of the graffiti. John people have poured HUNDREDS of hours into this site, donated thousands of dollars to the Cigars for Troops program so yes maybe it was a bit excessive but again NOTHING was said to anyone when the site magically reappeared. People had the chance to grab all the material they wrote and then edited it, can you honestly say you blame them?

Now this is going back in the past, which I did not want to do but feel it needs to be said, thousands and thousands of pictures were posted to this site via photobucket, flickr, imageshack etc then all of a sudden one day all the images are now stored on Puff's database would you do that on one of your other forums? People had to fight with owners to get pictures of their kids and family removed from the database, that day was when this place started to slide. So yes, when given the chance once again people removed as many links as possible to their photos, yes if it is posted on the internet no one knows what will happen to it but Puff was our 'home' a place to share both personal and hobby related photos with our friends and comrades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 496 Old 02-28-2015, 12:56 PM
Scotch & Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburnguy View Post
The main reason the other site was created was to clean up on unfinished business when puff went down. It was assumed Puff was DEAD, and thus CB was born. I can't speak for everyone, but the other place solved a ton of problems left unresolved. I am happy the other place was created. It is yet another place to learn about the hobby. I may continue to lurk, but time will tell.
And this is something I don't think they would ever understand unless they were involved in a Cigar Forum previously, thousands of dollars worth of cigars are bought, sold and traded on Puff DAILY, when the site just goes down like that it is BAD for everyone involved, so in an attempt to make people whole, complete the transactions people did what they needed to and built something new. This is where the FAMILY part comes in, they could have just said F it let everyone deal with it themselves but we are a closer community than most and they did not want that to happen.
post #113 of 496 Old 02-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Young Fish

So is there still a level3 for members after they have proven themselves? I enjoyed seeing the screen shots of tits and the like. Too bad I never got in with the rest of the "top tier" members back in the day. Puff2.jpg Puff.jpgpuff3.jpgPuff5.jpgPuff6.jpg

post #114 of 496 Old 02-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafvet509 View Post
I am with you. I'd just as soon my name be in pink now. Boot Tobias? Fine, boot me too. I would be honored to share that with such a fine fella.
I have been wondering about this whole thing Re: Tobias. He put a lot of time and work into the pipe area now he is just gone???? Tobias was the pipe area.
post #115 of 496 Old 02-28-2015, 01:12 PM
Puffer. Patriot.

Quote:
I think that communication is vital. That is why a mass email to all members was one of the first things we did. That's why we created this thread so we could answer all questions and communicate with any member. I've tried to answer everything in this thread to the best of my ability. So moving forward communication is very important for us.

I know it wasn't done as well in the past as it should have been but moving forward it will be.
I never got this supposed mass email. I found out through a Facebook notification that you posted the link to here. So...something didn't work right there. And yes, I'm supposed to get emails from administrators, I just checked.

:welcome: Are you a Puff noob :gaga: or veteran :usa2:? Join the Noobie Sampler Trade!
post #116 of 496 Old 02-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Puffer. Patriot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1979 View Post
Not a single mention of Jon anywhere on the "grieving" widow's site.
Sometime between 2/8/14 and 6/30/14, that page was changed.

The old version from 2/8:
Who « Caputo Media

:welcome: Are you a Puff noob :gaga: or veteran :usa2:? Join the Noobie Sampler Trade!
post #117 of 496 Old 02-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

So at the end of the day puff is a business that is making a profit and the admins and mods have NO INTREST in the hobby of cigar/pipe smoking but instead just running a forum and making profit. I have learned over the years a large business dose not care about the people below tham and this has been a proven fact with puff over a long several month span. its sad that a mass email can be sent out yet nothing like that was done when the site went down. nothing was posted on facebook. trust is built has been mentioned on here in several post but nothing has changed..... still the same owner just now with mods that have no interst in the hooby. so the fact still remains puff CAN still go poof like it did before. and than we as a community wonder if we will get the same response from the admins if it gose down since they have no interst in cigars just running a forum. we call each other BOTLs for a reason and after the last issue it was proven why we are BOTLs. thats where my issues lay is nothing has changed and infact the conection from the admins to members has completly been removed which is a scary thought

Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman— or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle. - George Burns :smoke2:
post #118 of 496 Old 02-28-2015, 01:17 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter2 View Post
I never got this supposed mass email. I found out through a Facebook notification that you posted the link to here. So...something didn't work right there. And yes, I'm supposed to get emails from administrators, I just checked.
never got the mass email as well.

Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman— or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle. - George Burns :smoke2:
post #119 of 496 Old 02-28-2015, 01:26 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Old Smokey,

What do you feel you've been lied to about.
I didn't say I had lied to. I believe we just aren't being told the whole truth.

Answer me this. Did the former moderators not have a right to capture and delete posts that they themselves had authored? You act like their works were not theirs to do with as they saw fit. Face it, they were treated as badly, if not worse than the rest of us as we were going to them for answers and they were given non. Wouldn't you agree that would be upsetting. I know they had to be getting very tired and frustrated. So what do they do? They started another forum? Why? Because Puff didn't care about it's greatest asset. Us the members.

The old mods whom you have banned were at the top tier of what made Puff such a great place. Should they not let their friends know that many of their friends had moved? I think that is only natural and I am greatful to have found them.

Face it John, if you had been an active member here, made a host of friends and suddenly everything disappeared without any notice or explanation to anyone, wouldn't that leave a Dog Rocket in your mouth? (ask your cigar smoking buddy what a dog rocket is if you don't know). See if he really knows cigars to help run this joint.

You say you understand our deserved frustration! Do you? From all you have said you know forums from the business side and making money. You should easily see the passion we share about this hobby. I don't see your passion other than damage control and making money. Who is right? The outpouring from members and former members should make that answer very clear.

Personally you seem like a pretty stand up guy trying to make a buck. But this being treated like crap by the bodies that be just doesn't sit right for most of us. We the members are the greatest asset Puff has and that has been forgotten by the owners for a very long time.

I am sorry that Jon died, which apparently happened quite some time ago. Then after several weeks we get an email just now telling us about the death wanting our sympathy for treating us like crap just rolls another dog rocket IMO. Why couldn't they send us an email when Jon died? You can't believe the support that would have gotten here on Puff.

Enough of my rambling. I am going back to the forum I know really cares about us and is run by those who stepped up when we got NOTHING from Puff.
post #120 of 496 Old 02-28-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock31 View Post
No offense but what did you guys expect to happen? Puff went dark for over a month with no explanation leaving many people hanging, I lost dozens of Overseas Addresses that I used to send Cigars to our Troops overseas. Then one day the site magically re-appears and NOTHING is said, that email that was send yesterday should have went out before the site was ever brought up, that would have stopped 90% of the graffiti. John people have poured HUNDREDS of hours into this site, donated thousands of dollars to the Cigars for Troops program so yes maybe it was a bit excessive but again NOTHING was said to anyone when the site magically reappeared. People had the chance to grab all the material they wrote and then edited it, can you honestly say you blame them?

Now this is going back in the past, which I did not want to do but feel it needs to be said, thousands and thousands of pictures were posted to this site via photobucket, flickr, imageshack etc then all of a sudden one day all the images are now stored on Puff's database would you do that on one of your other forums? People had to fight with owners to get pictures of their kids and family removed from the database, that day was when this place started to slide. So yes, when given the chance once again people removed as many links as possible to their photos, yes if it is posted on the internet no one knows what will happen to it but Puff was our 'home' a place to share both personal and hobby related photos with our friends and comrades.
Our main goal was to get the site going up as soon as possible. I guess it can be debated if the email saying the site was back up should go out before the site is back up. The mass email should have gone to everyone, it was sent through mailchimp.com -- I guess it is possible some ISP's are marking it as spam and maybe not delivering it to the users. Email, unfortunately isn't as reliable as it used to be

As far as the photo storage, I agree this was not a good idea to store all images on the server. In fact, we are in the process of trying to make sure that this system is turned off moving forward and that all images that are hotlinked stay hotlinked. We don't do that type of image storage on any other sites so I agree with you its not a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
puff.com, site help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page