Which Cigar would you name the industry standard - Page 3 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old 09-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Maturing Puffer Fish

I have to say Padron 26 and 64's like so many have said, but honestly Padron makes consistent, good cigars and the 2000 and 4000 are at great prices. Have really started liking the Oliva as well. There are so many manufacturers out there making such variety that I am not sure I want them to 'measure up to" each other. I like different manufacturers for different styles, elements, but I would like to see them reach the consistency that Padron seems to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 09-18-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
As you can see, this is a question that cannot be answered. There have been 11 responses, almost all different. There are so many cigar brands, and those brands make so many cigars from so many different regions, you can't pinpoint one as a "standard". The beautiful thing about our hobby is that there are many resources (Online forums, B&M's, other BOTL) so you can help educate yourself on what your individual standard is.

That just means I have 11 more cigars to try:helloooo: I've smoked cigars for about 10 years but it was always Arturo Fuentes. It wasn't until I found CL that I decided to broaden my horizons. Now I'm really enjoying trying all sorts of cigars. There really is a vast world of flavors and nuances in everything I try.

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.
post #23 of 28 Old 09-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Copywriter/Marketer @ FSS

post #24 of 28 Old 09-18-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkyLindy View Post
Got to go with Padron Anniv-
Beside the smoke itself -the construction and quality control are tops
Have to agree - I think Padron sets the standard for construction & consistancy for a maker.

1926 80th Anni - would be my numero uno
1964 40th Anni - pretender to throne
post #25 of 28 Old 09-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Cuban: Partagas D4 and Bolivar Belicosos Finos;
Non-Cubans: Camacho Corojo and Joya de Nicarágua Antano 1970
post #26 of 28 Old 09-18-2008, 05:19 PM

Yeah, I misread the original post. I blame that fresh RASS I was having at the time. I listed two cigars that I use for comparison, i.e., if I smoke a new-to-me expensive cigar, I will compare it to a Boli RC - if I smoke a new under-$6 cigar, I'll compare it to a Padron 4000. (I stopped smoking bundle smokes, but those I used to compare to Flor de Oliva.)

Obviously most folks will choose a Padron anniversary over a Padron x000 :helloooo: (and I'll take a BBF over a Boli RC).

One could get stupid and say a Cohiba Behike is the 'standard,' or the 1492 or some EL or similar silliness ... come to think of it, nobody has listed Cohiba (although there are so many fake Cohiba around).

Anyhow, if I interpret the question another way, I'd have to go with the (Cuban) Montecristo #2. It was around before almost all the cigars mentioned, it was famous before almost all of the cigars mentioned, and has been the definition of a "good cigar" before almost all of the cigars mentioned. It isn't the most consistent smoke, it is made in HUGE quantities over many factories, and it isn't one of my favourites, but when I see the words "industry standard" much like a Merc S-class is an industry standard, I think Monte #2. (Among non-Cubans, I see Padron 1964.)
post #27 of 28 Old 09-18-2008, 06:10 PM

Any Padron they are all amazing.
All of the Davidoffs are very good.
Arturo Fuente makes very good cigars as well.
But if you ask me the very best cigars (to me anyways) are all of the ILLUSIONE cigars.
post #28 of 28 Old 09-18-2008, 09:07 PM

this is a tough question.

when 'standard' was mentioned, I thought of dpg cc 1979.

I started to read on and a lot of great answers..

here are my category 'standards':

low price: oliva g maduro beli or sp g

mid price: ashtn vsg lancero or dbl robusto, tat havana iv angeles, or dpg cc 1979

higher price: casa fuente dbl robusto, padron 80th or anni's maduro, tat rc 184's

isom's: mc 4 reserva or petit ed.

? category: lgc selectivos de lujo, tat cojonu 03/06

my .02

c-malo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cigar, industry, standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page