B&M etiquette - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with many spikes

B&M etiquette

I have been going to my local B&M (up in smoke) and they have a really nice lounge for locker renters. The lockers cost $30 a month and you can keep your smokes and whiskey in there and have access to the nice part of the store(big screen and leather couches)...All of the commoners have to sit out in the front and watch the small screen TV...Anyway, I was thinking about getting a locker but I am kind of unsure about what is commonly done. Do I still have to buy my cigars from the store to put in my locker or what? Because if I had my way I would bring my own smokes and stock up my locker that way...Right now every time I smoke there I get a cigar from their humidor and sit and smoke it in the front lobby...but If im paying 30 a month, I might be more inclined to bring my internet smokes...I dont know, That doesnt sound right to me...

Any man who smokes cigars is a dynamic son of a gun. ~Regis
I type like crap...this is well known
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Re: B&M etiquette

It really depends on the shop. I would just straight up ask the B&M. Just tell them if you own a locker you know if you can store cigars bought elsewhere. I think it would be crazy to pay $30 a month and not be able to store a cigar bought elsewhere, whether an internet buy or a premium cigar that you bought elsewhere that can't be bought at that particular shop.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-02-2009, 12:06 PM
www.teamslowpitch.com

Send a message via MSN to RobustBrad

Yeah I would ask him straight up also. I don't see that as being a problem though. Assume you don't buy ANY smokes at all from him (which I'm sure you'll be inclined to buy a little something) He's making $30 a month off of you.

And if there is any push back at all on that I would find a different B&M.

Cheers,
Brad

TEAM Slow Pitch - Softball Forums
www.teamslowpitch.com

post #4 of 16 Old 11-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Do work son

I know guys from the Outlaw buy cigars other places and store them there. I would say they wouldn't care if your still spending money there. I buy tobaccy at other locations (Some things I want I can't get there) and smoke it there and they don't seem to care (But I still spend most my money there too). I wouldn't make a big deal about it, and don't brag to others in the shop on how you bought a box for $50 cheaper than at the location.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

I know this isn't the kind of answer you're looking for, but I'd try to find a different shop. I frequent two local shops - Cigar Shop & More in Addison and 2 Brothers in Plano - and neither separate the members from non-members. I find that they both create a much more relaxed environment than the "member separator" shops I've been to. You shouldn't have to feel demeaned at a local shop...that's just my opinion and the way I've felt at some places.

I know the 2 shops I mentioned are probably too far a drive for you from L'ville, but I'd bet there's more than one in close range to you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We make a living by what we get; We make a life by what we give.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
At last I can relax

In the new york area, most shops that have lockers only want cigars purchased in the shop.
In fact its weird,at some of them, to smoke in the shop, they only want you to smoke the cigar that you have just purchased.
I have asked in three of them, if I can bring my own cigar that I have purchased in the store, if I take it home to age. (These are stores that dont have lockers) They all gave me that look.
I recently went to a new hand rolled cigar place I found. I very nice shop and sell all the brands also. I purchased 8 singles at a purchse price of around 70 dollars. He asked if I was going to smoke there, so he could cut it. I said I have my own cutter and lighter, but would prefer to smoke a 4 month aged one in my pocket. He said we do not do that here. Then I said If thats the policy I will abide by that.
As I startd to leave, he had a change of heart, but again, I take that as a dispute to my word.
I told him I would only smoke cigars that I purchase here and have aged. I guess he didnt trust me, but for buying 8 overpiriced singles, in this economy(The shop was empty for the half hour I spent looking over his goods) should have entitiled me to smoke a cigar. What has happened to buiding a reputation, and a customer support base. I forget what they call this in business, but when I took some accounting courses in my undergraduate work, we were taught to amortize this invisibible item. Its sort of like customer goodwill. Anyone know the accounting term for this?
Its a hard world out there, and a lot of the more recent business owners, do not understand how to deal with an individual customer. You would think they dont want your business a lot of time.
I have a cuban owned hardware store near me. They have had this store for thirty years. A husband and wife. Now there are big hardware stores near me(home depot , etc. ) but you see a lot of loyal people to this store, who do not mind paying higher prices for the smaller things they have. Of course they are limited compared to the big stores.
But, you get them in the store 6 days a week (only one helper) and he will tell you anthing you need to know. I have needed a specialized tool, or size of tool, for a small job, and he has lent me the tool for the day. Thats the way to do business. I dont care his duct tape is 50 percent more expensive then home depot.
Lots of times I cant find things at thome depot I find there. Too often I can find the size of lag bolts I use by the box, they always have it, at one third the cost of homedept.
Also, and this is unvelievable, home depot doesnt carry three way to two way adapters, and when they do, they are so looles to be dangerous.
So, Let this be a lesson for these stores who just dont seem to care, and only think about the sale.

Jerry
post #7 of 16 Old 11-02-2009, 01:11 PM
JGD
Formally "jadeg001"

At my local B&M there is a sign that says in order to smoke in the lounge you have to have made a $15 purchase per person. However, its ok to bring a cigar from home to smoke as long as you make that purchase before hand.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-02-2009, 01:22 PM
At last I can relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeg001 View Post
At my local B&M there is a sign that says in order to smoke in the lounge you have to have made a $15 purchase per person. However, its ok to bring a cigar from home to smoke as long as you make that purchase before hand.
Thats not a way to get a repeat customer. The propriator should know his customers and after a while know your habits. So its basically a 15 dollar charge to smoke in his shop. Say you have been there ten days in a row and purchased a 20 dollars cigar each time.
Then on day 11, you are in the mood for a short smoke, say an r and j, that runs 6 bucks. He wont let you smoke then?

Thats why I like one of my local b #ms. He likes to chat, and sit on his couches, and doesnt care if you buy one this visit, or bring your own. He takes all customers as individuals and gets to learn who the glamers are and who are decent folk.
I dont always buy much there, if I am looking for something in particular, but I will always buy at least one cigar and a newspaper. That is enough to get me the utmost couertesy.
I asked him for an empty box recently for my wifes projects, I received all the boxes I could stick in my truck. I took about 40 empty wood boxes, and why???because he knew I was polite, and alwasy purchased something and never dickered on price.
And yes, when he was selling chocolates for his kids school at a buck apiece, I purchase a 40 dollar box of them, (but dont tell me wife, these are my secret stash).
And please, do not ask me to get you boxes. He asked me if I am going to sell them or give them away, and I said no I wont, and I am good on my word to the utmost. If he didnt care one way or the other, believe me I would send them to whoever wanted.

Jerry
post #9 of 16 Old 11-02-2009, 01:24 PM
www.teamslowpitch.com

Send a message via MSN to RobustBrad

Outch! $15 per person, per visit?

So if I go in there and buy a CAO Brazillia i'm SOL in hopes of relaxing and smoking it in their lounge?

I found a great local B&M that lets you smoke in their cigar lounge as long as you purchase a cigar through them (any amount). They have free Wi-Fi, poker tables, plasma T.V's. And too boot they are VERY well priced. In my opinion if you want to have a succesfull cigar shop in todays economy and competitive internet prices, you need to lead with customer server and the customer experience. Well done to my new local B&M.

Cheers,
Brad

TEAM Slow Pitch - Softball Forums
www.teamslowpitch.com
post #10 of 16 Old 11-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustBrad View Post
Outch! $15 per person, per visit?

So if I go in there and buy a CAO Brazillia i'm SOL in hopes of relaxing and smoking it in their lounge?

I found a great local B&M that lets you smoke in their cigar lounge as long as you purchase a cigar through them (any amount). They have free Wi-Fi, poker tables, plasma T.V's. And too boot they are VERY well priced. In my opinion if you want to have a succesfull cigar shop in todays economy and competitive internet prices, you need to lead with customer server and the customer experience. Well done to my new local B&M.

Cheers,
Brad
I guess this thread has gotten a little bit hijacked, but I think it's a good discussion. My local shop charges $5 to smoke in their lounge if you don't buy a cigar. Or so their sign says. I've bought enough from them that they don't ask...I've only done it once, but I took a cigar there that had been gifted to me and they knew I didn't go into the humidor and look around, as I normally do. They were just as courteous as they always are. They also have Wifi, poker, and flat screens. In fact, I even joked with the manager last week about how cheap I am and that I always buy there cheapest stuff. She was in the middle of laying out some new cutters that were upwards of $30, and I commented that I wouldn't spend that much. Instead of snubbing me - as has happened at a place down the street when I bought a cheap cigar - she directed me to a cutter that was only about $12. Now, I'm not in the market for a cutter - thanks to Jerry - but she didn't think any less of me for not wanting to spend a bunch of money.

I agree with everything Jerry said above...I have one of those local hardware stores too, but I still have to go to HD sometimes. It's the same as with the CBid to B&M relationship...they know we need to save money on our "at-home" smokes, but they also know we'll spend plenty with them, so they treat us well and we always come back.

Back to the topic of putting outside cigars in the lockers...I think it's really going to depend on the staff there and it's just something that you'll have to ask about. One thing this slightly off-topic thread has shown is how differently shops are run and there doesn't seem to be an accepted etiquette.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We make a living by what we get; We make a life by what we give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bandm, etiquette

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page