How much did a cigar cost in 1937? - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-16-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
What would Skeeter do?

How much did a cigar cost in 1937?

My Dad smoked his last cigar in 1937 at the age of around 20. He had a part in a play & a prop was a cigar. As he nervously paced backstage, he puffed & chewed the cigar furiously. By the end of his appearance in the play, he was sick as a dog & had to practically knock people down to get to the alley door to blow chunks. A wise lady stuck a piece of cake in his mouth upon his return (she had to have known that sugar is an antedote for nicotine poisoning). He now gets mildly ill (at age 92) just thinking about smoking a cigar.

The cigar was probably machine made somewhere in the USA with Cuban & Pennsylvanian or Connecticut tobaccos. It probably cost a nickel, or a dime.

A few years back, I was showing him some cigars in my caddy. I picked up a closeout I'd gotten cheap & said, "I paid 60 cents for this one," proudly displaying my buying thriftiness.

"YOU PAID 60 CENTS FOR A CIGAR?!?!" he said, & looked at me like I had spent the bread & milk money on heroin.

I don't talk to my Dad about cigars any more. LOL

The views & opinions expressed by kansashat are not necessarily the views & opinions of Club Stogie, or it's associates. Iamstillveryfondofbananacreampie. :cb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-16-2009, 10:50 PM
~Satori's Dad~

Send a message via Yahoo to thebayratt
Re: How much did a cigar cost in 1937?

Either 5cents

or 2 for 5 cents

I got these pics from the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola FL. There is a mock-up town from the 30s or 40s or 50s.......... but these were in there... the cigars in the box looked super old and dry though!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 16 Old 11-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I have an old box from the 1930s-1940s not sure called Spanish Crooks, they were handmade cigars from PA.. the box said they were $.5 each...

Thats a cool story though thanks for sharing

post #4 of 16 Old 11-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

When I started smoking cigars in 1969 they were about 50 cents for a handrolled one. The store bought ones like Dutch Masters and Garcia y Vega were around $2 for a 5 pak. If you were a "high roller" who smoked imported cigars they went for about $2 each but they were some great cigars, too. I talked to my grandfather and in the 30's during the Depression cigars were a sign of excess money and it wasn't uncommon for others to walk by and pick up a cigar from the ground when it appeared to be barely smoked.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
post #5 of 16 Old 11-17-2009, 01:28 AM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Probably 5˘ or 10˘, but could have been a bit more. Many of the cigars in that time had Cuban tobacco in them. The US was the largest importer of Cuban "floor sweepings" up until the embargo and many domestic cigars were made of some or all Cuban tobacco.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Leading Puffer Fish

I don't know about the 30s but when I started smoking cigars in the late 1970s a good cigar was $1 to $2. Very few hit the $5 mark. It was kind of like that until about 1990. Then prices soared and I would say overall quality dropped. I do look back fondly on the 1980s.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-17-2009, 05:50 AM

ha imagine you told him how much some people pay for a opus x box! thanks for the story
eric
post #8 of 16 Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Highland Park SingleMalt

Show this thread to your dad, I am sure he will either leave you alone next time or have you committed

$750 Gurkha Cigar-Discusstion
Came across this link and had to keep rubbing my eyes. Now I have smoked some exotic and expensive cigars in my day but this one is out of my league. Without "dogging" the obvious maker of this brand what exactly constitutes the pricing of a cigar like this? Cognac can be expensive as we're all aware but c'mon man,,,at $750 each and $15K for a box?

Would like to hear some opinions that make sense.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-17-2009, 09:15 AM
amnesiac with deja vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfly View Post
Show this thread to your dad, I am sure he will either leave you alone next time or have you committed
LMAO! That's exactly what I was going to post!!!

Great story!! Thanks a lot for posting.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-10-2019, 02:40 AM
Newbie in the ocean

I came across an old cigar box and the only markings on the box were on the bottom!
Factory No..50
1st.Dist. Pa
Also the manufacturer label saying they’ve met the requirements
and a stamp saying manufactured to retail at more then 8 cents
and not more then 15 cents!
Can you tell me anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1937, cigar, cost

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page