Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 51 Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 AM
39 04 35 N, 108 33 05 W

Re: Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!

Terrific link Don! Fascinating!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
There are no sane human beings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 AM
The Mad Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
Well, in his defense, he did offer me a box of Sharks at $16.50 a stick.
Very generous!
post #13 of 51 Old 02-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Thats crazy. Great link.

post #14 of 51 Old 02-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Maturing Puffer Fish

I have heard the Salinger story many, many times. And I've always questioned its veracity. Salinger was a well-known gasbag who made other strange claims through the years. But my main reason for doubting the cigar story is that it just doesn't pass the smell test. I've never seen any support from any cigar seller in the D.C.-Md.-Va. area from the time that Salinger made those purchases. In those years few stores stayed open after business hours and he would have had to really scramble to find many cigars at night. The People's drug store chain in the area would probably have been open all night, but I doubt many others were. And while drug stores and newsstands then likely did stock cigars, even Cuban cigars, I doubt they would have had extensive selections. If there is anyone out there who can provide evidence that Salinger's tale is true or false, I'd love to read it.
post #15 of 51 Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Not Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghe-cl View Post
I have heard the Salinger story many, many times. And I've always questioned its veracity. Salinger was a well-known gasbag who made other strange claims through the years. But my main reason for doubting the cigar story is that it just doesn't pass the smell test. I've never seen any support from any cigar seller in the D.C.-Md.-Va. area from the time that Salinger made those purchases. In those years few stores stayed open after business hours and he would have had to really scramble to find many cigars at night. The People's drug store chain in the area would probably have been open all night, but I doubt many others were. And while drug stores and newsstands then likely did stock cigars, even Cuban cigars, I doubt they would have had extensive selections. If there is anyone out there who can provide evidence that Salinger's tale is true or false, I'd love to read it.
You bring up some good points. Having said that my guess would be that if the President liked Tambos then every shop in the area would carry them at least until he was out of office.

BIA!!!
post #16 of 51 Old 02-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Maturing Puffer Fish

Great link....
post #17 of 51 Old 02-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

thats rediculous, kinda reminds me of gurkha claiming there cigar is the cigar bill clinton was smoking when....... well, you know.

thanks for the video link though, i know about him wanting h uppmans, didnt know it was to that extent.

Facebook Group for Pipes and Cigars
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TampaBayCigarBox/
post #18 of 51 Old 02-20-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Disinterested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanolover View Post
You bring up some good points. Having said that my guess would be that if the President liked Tambos then every shop in the area would carry them at least until he was out of office.
Yup, especially in those days. Presidents before Nixon, were seen in a much different light than that in which we view them today. Kennedy, more than any other President, was THE rock star of his day. Add to that the fact that the Petit Upmann (now long since discontinued) was neither expensive, nor exclusive, just good.

Salinger would not have had to do all the leg work, although in other accounts, he did state that he was up most of the night. He'd have been in the position to make several phone calls and could easily have sourced cigars for the President any time, day or night. Station has it's privileges.

It's also pretty well known that the Presidential humidor was indeed stocked full of Cuban Cigars. IIRC, it's sold several times and cigars from it, with authentication, continue to appear at auction. Those cigars had to come from somewhere.
post #19 of 51 Old 02-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
Ridiculous hardly describes this!

Yesterday, I stopped by a local B&M for some butane and a couple sticks. The manager, a friendly sort, always recommends whatever's new and tells me what he's got stashed behind the counter. Soooo... he points to a box of cigars on the counter and begins saying,

"These are the cigars that Kennedy smoked. These are the ones he sent Salinger out to get the night before he signed the Embargo."

Me, shocked: "Erm, I think Kennedy smoked Petit Upmans, didn't he?"

"Well, then this the the same blend!"

Me: "They're using Cuban tobacco?"

"Well, no, but they taste the same."

I forced my self to shut up.

He was pointing to a box of 262 Paradigm Robusto.

Here's Salinger's account.

Unbelievable.
Don nice youtube clip . I love truthful history

It is easier to believe a lie that one has heard a thousand times than to believe a fact that no one has heard before.

"A wisely chosen cigar, to me, is like a weapon against certain of lifes torments; in some mysterious way, a little blue smoke chases them away." Zino Davidoff
post #20 of 51 Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 AM
New England Cigar Rep

That's hilarious

As a 262 Rep I must say we don't make any sort of claim like that. Couldnt. Tell you where this owner got his story from.

Northeast Cigar Rep
SAG Imports, 7-20-4, Matilde, Lotus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
heard, ridiculous, thing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page