Different Liga Privada no. 9 Oscuro Wrappers - Page 12 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 112 Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Newbie in the ocean

Re: Different Liga Privada no. 9 Oscuro Wrappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaka View Post
All,

Spent the last 45 minutes trying to log in so I could reply from Nica - i am in the factory now..

Anyhow here are the answers:

Q: Why does the color vary on the No. 9? Sometimes they are really oscuro and other times they are just a dark brown?

A: The term ďoscuroĒ in their name is not intended as a reference to their color, but a reference to the fact that their capa are specifically No. 1 Darks. These are top 2 to 3 leaves at the crown of the broadleaf plant and are typically the darkest of all the plantís leaves.

Typically when you bulk this leaf they will achieve a maduro to oscuro hue, however this is not always the case given when we decide when the tobacco is ready. We could always achieve a perfect, even, near black hue, but this would require us to ferment the leaves sometimes longer and at higher temperatures than we desire. We decide a bulk is ready to be broken apart based on the leafís texture, burn, flavor and aroma first Ė appearance is always last. Now donít misinterpret this, we want the leaf to be visually appealing to the eye, but ultimately its flavor and aroma is far more important in our opinions. So whenever the leaf meets these requirements is when we break the bulk down and doing so sometime results in a lighter hue or even a bit of an uneven, mottled appearance. We could get nearly every wrapper to be a perfect in appearance, but doing so would sacrifice the flavor and aroma that we ultimately desire.

IMO, the actual flavor and aroma are the paramount criteria when deciding the leaf is ready. I smoke with my mouth and my nose, not my eyes.

Q: Why do some say Puros vs. Parejo?

A: Originally when we released the LP brand there was ONLY ONE CIGAR - the LP No. 9 in a 6 x 52 Parejo format. So that is what the first batch of bands said... As you know we have since added 3 more sizes, plus a T-52 line, plus Unico..etc... So when it came time to reprint the bands we made it Puros Oscuro so it would be correct for all the cigars.

Q: Does this mean the cigar is different?

A: No just the reprinted bands... you might also notice we change the branding irons to on the 6 x 52 size from "Parejo" to "Toro" - again just to label everything correctly given that we now had a Robusto, Belicoso and Corona Doble in the same line. Except we did not update the branding iron on the 48-ct chest - we make so few of these it was just too wasteful to replace its brand - so they feature the word "parejo" rather than "toro".

Q: But I thought "puros" meant a cigar made of only one origin of tobacco...

A: It does, but it also is the spanish word for all cigars... so the use of "puros" is correct even though the LP No. 9 blend contains 7 different tobaccos from 4 different origins.

I hope this answers the original questions. I am sure there are more in this long thread, but my net connection blows and it is taking like 5 minutes to load each page.

So if you got more questions, just do me a fav and repost them below and I will check back tomorrow, net connection willing, and provide additional clarification.

BR,

Steve Saka
Prez, Drew Estate
What is/are the production date(s) for the No.9 48 ct boxes? Initially, I thought there were only made in 2007...
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 112 Old 06-17-2011, 06:54 PM
The Karate Squid

Re: Different Liga Privada no. 9 Oscuro Wrappers

Good golly... Steve is a member here? That's fantastic.

And thanks for the answers!!!

Puff.com Rules - Please don't PM me for Cuban sources
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
good good liga luvin, liga, lp ho's here, oscuro, privada, wrappers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page