Can mixing different flavors of cigars together hurt them? - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 PM
The Karate Squid

Re: Can mixing different flavors of cigars together hurt them?

I'd say if they're similar flavors (Chocolate, mocha, etc), don't worry about it. They're no likely to blend enough to make enough of a difference. Generally speaking, the flavored sticks are pretty heavily flavored, so the subtle blending won't really be noticable, I'd think.

If they're very different flavors (chocolate, fruit, etc), then I'd probably keep 'em separate.

Puff.com Rules - Please don't PM me for Cuban sources
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 06-15-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Curious george

Send a message via MSN to imported_cigar_lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post
I'd say if they're similar flavors (Chocolate, mocha, etc), don't worry about it. They're no likely to blend enough to make enough of a difference. Generally speaking, the flavored sticks are pretty heavily flavored, so the subtle blending won't really be noticable, I'd think.

If they're very different flavors (chocolate, fruit, etc), then I'd probably keep 'em separate.
Ahhhh so the fruity ones can be in one container and the chocolate and mocha etc. in another?

A cigar is as good as memories that you have when you smoked it. -Raul Julia

post #13 of 16 Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 PM
No longer a community member.

Not to thread hijack but... how about storing non flavored cigars from different regions? Like.. Nicaraguans and Dominicans? Or Puros with non?

post #14 of 16 Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Curious george

Send a message via MSN to imported_cigar_lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesmokes View Post
Not to thread hijack but... how about storing non flavored cigars from different regions? Like.. Nicaraguans and Dominicans? Or Puros with non?
I cant see why it would affect the other smokes. i mix all my smokes and probably are from different regions and what not. i just keep the flavored ones in a different box.

A cigar is as good as memories that you have when you smoked it. -Raul Julia

post #15 of 16 Old 06-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesmokes View Post
This has no effect on the cigars. many members on here have coolers stuffed full of cigars from diffrent regions for upwards of 10 years or more. No harm there.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tec_wiz View Post
This has no effect on the cigars. many members on here have coolers stuffed full of cigars from diffrent regions for upwards of 10 years or more. No harm there.
If they are touching, it will cause their flavors to blend, as oils from one mix to the other and are reabsorbed. Over extremely long periods of time, even having them in the same humidor will cause a tiny amount of blending. For instance if you put a really mild connecticut in with a lot of strong maduros, the connecticut will be slightly stronger.

Additionally, the less your humidity and temp levels vary, the less this happens. Whereas if you see large swings in your temp and/or humidity you will get a lot of flavor blending (though this is probably the least of your worries if you have large swings in temp and/or humidity).

Flavor blending mostly happens when two or more cigars lose and then regain humidity. If the temp rises and/or the humidity drops, the cigars will lose oil and moisture, as the cigars get back to a good humidity level and/or temp they will reabsorb oils and moisture, which will now be a mingling of what the other cigars released.

If you have a perfectly stable 70/70 with little to no variance, as long as different wrappers aren't touching, almost no appreciable flavor blending will occur.

On the flip side, sometimes you want flavor blending, mostly within a box of the same cigar. For instance, if you buy a slightly less than premium cigar, a lot of times the biggest problem is that there is a good amount of variance between the sticks (mostly because they were rushed to production and didn't get to bond in a shed together). If you leave them in the box, with their wrappers touching, eventually the smoke will be a lot more consistent from stick to stick. This is why if I have a box that I'm storing and they're cello wrapped I will remove all the cello, to speed along the blending process. If I have a bunch of singles that I'm storing near one another, I will leave the cello, or if the cigar didn't have cello, try to put other cigars with cello on either side. Also, spacers can be your friend as well. Like those you will often get in a box of tubo Romeo Y Juliettas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cigars, flavors, hurt, mixing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page