Poser Smokers - Page 6 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 89 Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Double Trouble

Re: Poser Smokers

posers are easy for me to spot....theyre the ones who are not smoking victor sinclairs

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 89 Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

I don't think there is really such a thing as a cigar poser. Does he or she light it, then they are cigar smokers

There are, of course, less serious and less knowledgeable cigar smokers. They can be annoying when they think they know everything about the hobby. They can also be annoying when they pick my Cuban Montecristo I've been holding for a special occasion when they see it in my humidor. That is why, even though I mostly smoke pipes and so I've gone back to keeping mostly nicer stuff in my humidor, I keep some good but cheaper cigars on hand. That way, I can offer them a good cigar but one that isn't over their heads (beyond their taste buds, not sure the proper way to put it) where they will miss out on the nuances. Still, if they see one of my good ones and ask for it, I will happily give it to them (I've learned to keep my special occasion cigars on the bottom of my humi ).
post #53 of 89 Old 07-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Immature Pufferfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
A bit of an over simplification don't you think. Cuban cigars while grown on one island come from several regions. From the Cuban Cigar website after all don't take my word for it!...
Unless I am wrong (which is not unusual ), I think all the current handmade long filler Habanos brands are made from baccy leaves that come from the Vuelta Abajo region except one which has baccy leaves that come from the semi-Vuelta region, wherever or whatever that is.

But then Trevor and yourself definitely have more experience in this field than I do so I won't be surprised if you tell me differently.

Anyway, back to the original topic. Discussions on CCs are prohibited in this side of the forum and we must respect that.

A lot of problems in the world can be solved if everyone takes the time to relax and have a cigar.:hippie:

post #54 of 89 Old 07-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

You can tell a poser when they:

1. Light a cigar with a petrol lighter (they do not get the petrol ruins it). Its more about having a cigar to show off, than enjoying one.

2. They smoke it for a few minutes then stub it out and re tube it (for later) They paid £60 to pose they will use it a couple more times.

3. They assume bigger is better and will get the biggest nastiest cigar available, rather than a smaller great cigar.
post #55 of 89 Old 07-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quine View Post
A snob is someone who says "I only smoke X because everything else is inferior". He/she need not care if others agree or like the "inferior" product, and even less that others are impressed by what ever X is. A poseur is someone who wants/needs to have others be impressed by what they say they know, or are doing. Snobbishness might be silly and counter productive (because you may really be missing out on a lot of good stuff that you have judged "beneath you" at some point and refuse to try again), but it does not depend on the approval of others. Poseurs by contrast very much seek the deference of others, in fact that seems to be the main point of the exercise.
Pretty well put...

I could care less honestly about the posers, but the snobs sure do wear on me after a while.

Twitter @ OB1theStogie
Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...
post #56 of 89 Old 07-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Pretentious Fella

I think most people start smoking cigars because there is a certain cool factor to it. Most people are emulating someone elses actions when trying something for the first time.

I am willing to bet someone who never somoked a cigar wakes up and says, "I am in the mood for a medium- medium full bodied smoke with undertones of cocoa and and pepper, with an oily finish".

"Donít congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either Ė your choices are half chance, so are everybody elseís"- Mary Schmich
post #57 of 89 Old 07-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

I've been smoking cigars for under a year. I started smoking cigars because at 50 years old I still succumb to peer pressure. I love cigars and spend a lot of my free time trying to learn as much about my hobby as possible. I currently have around 1000-1250 cigars in my collection. I don't consider myself a poser. Do I say stupid things occasionally, of course. Do I claim to know everything about cigars, absolutely not. I've learned alot about cigars from asking stupid, bordering on ridiculous, questions. I've had guys roll their eyes at me. When someone comes to me and asks a question I can't answer I come here or to the myriad of other sites to find the answer. I've only smoked 1 Cuban and I was not impressed despite everyone standing around moaning and groaning with excitement. To pose or not to pose that is the question. I simply remember that we all had to start somewhere and building someone up is far more difficult than tearing someone down.
post #58 of 89 Old 07-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Explorer of fine things..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I think most people start smoking cigars because there is a certain cool factor to it. Most people are emulating someone elses actions when trying something for the first time.
Good point... I remember the very first time I ever smoked a cigar (this decades before I adopted this as a serious hobby), and it was me setting the "cool". I was 19 years old. I was acting as head-chef at a lodge and I had a half dozen assistants (we were all volunteers). I thought it would be "cool" after the main dinner to treat my crew to cognac and cigars (don't know where the idea came from, but I know I'd never smoked one before that night). So I bought a half dozen cigars (machine rolled and not up to my standards today, but one of the higher-end machine-sticks -- I forget the brand) and a bottle of some medium decent cognac and the cooks all sat back after dinner and enjoyed a smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I am willing to bet someone who never somoked a cigar wakes up and says, "I am in the mood for a medium- medium full bodied smoke with undertones of cocoa and and pepper, with an oily finish".
Well, maybe not when they wake up, but certainly by lunch...

...and a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke! -- Rudyard Kipling "The Betrothed"
post #59 of 89 Old 07-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Young Puffer Fish

I thought the only "posers" out threre, rode metrics!
post #60 of 89 Old 07-11-2012, 01:36 AM
No longer a community member.

I have a couple points to add to the discussion fellows.
As a Brit i really got started on Cubans, since they are the mainstay of the market in the uk. Since moving to America, I have found some really rather delicious NCs, and I'm still discovering them actually. My all time most memorable cigar was a Cuban bellicoso fino, and I've never found anything NC to beat it ( suggestions welcome!) I also want to try a Cohiba esplendido next time I'm over there.
However, there are many Cubans made especially for the uk market, and while the flavor profile is good I've found the consistency of construction to be lacking compared to the NC counterparts. Its almost as if the NC try to make up for the fact by nailing the construction every time. For example, I just got done with a RP the edge, which was delightful.

Now, as far as flavored cigars go, I've never really given them much chance because they don't appeal to me. But, I do see the appeal for other people. What bugs me is when people try to convince me how awesome they are, and claim that they are in some way better.
My biggest peeve with 'posers' is the lack of cigar etiquette. I've tried to explain politely on numerous occasions why not to Cush out a cigar, I liken it to squeezing an orange- you release unpleasant aromas into the air by crushing a spent cigar. That's the only problem I have, otherwise smoke what makes you happy! Good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page