Anyone rolling their own? (Cigars that is) - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 2903Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1236 Old 09-01-2015, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Puffer with a huge spike

Anyone rolling their own? (Cigars that is)

I've been reading up on rolling cigars online, YouTube, etc. I have been considering it as a project after my shoulder surgeries. (2 months at home) I have been unable to find any blend info to make knock offs. I've seen that for home brews where they post a certain recipe for a specific brand of beer, etc. I was thinking it would be easier to start rolling something like an Antillas to see how the rolling worked; draw, flavor, etc. Seems easier than just starting with no baseline or frame of reference.
Just wondering if any of you guys have tried it?

The above opinions are mine and they are factual and correct. You are free to disagree but you would be wrong... And possibly a bad person. It's your call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1236 Old 09-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Re: Anyone rolling their own? (Cigars that is)

If I was so inclined, I would research what loose leaf was available, characteristics like age, fermentation, color, region, etc. basically the same things we look at when we buy and burn. Once you know what you can get your hands on, you should be able to create an abstract flavor profile and build your blend to match it.

I wonder how many sticks get rolled, burned and tossed before they dial in a blend to where they want it? Obviously with a lot of experience the chance that a specific mix is going to be pure crap is lower, but I am sure Fuente has rolled some sticks that would gag a maggot.
post #3 of 1236 Old 09-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

I've heard that it can take up to a year or more to find that perfect blend and this is from those that do it as a business.

post #4 of 1236 Old 09-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormH3 View Post
I've heard that it can take up to a year or more to find that perfect blend and this is from those that do it as a business.
I can believe that.
post #5 of 1236 Old 09-01-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Puffer with a huge spike

Well I'm not thinking I'll create the next Opus X or that Padron is going to offer me a job at their plant. I'd be happy to smoke a stick I liked if I made it... I don't even need to love it. Of course, like anything else I'm sure it take a lot of time to be "good" but the journey of a 1000 miles starts with one step.
There are a ton of places that sell leaf, looks like you can get your hands on most if the "normal" stuff.
Joe Sticks likes this.

The above opinions are mine and they are factual and correct. You are free to disagree but you would be wrong... And possibly a bad person. It's your call.
post #6 of 1236 Old 09-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Cool idea but I'm sure it would definitely take a lot of trial and error when first beginning. I think it would all be worth it thought knowing you could roll your own cigar that perfectly fits your palate. Also the feeling of achievement after all the necessary trial and error would be pretty rewarding.
post #7 of 1236 Old 09-03-2015, 09:00 AM
ISO Tat Jibarro,Maravilla

On another forum there are a bunch of guys that are jumping into rolling their own. The thread started with one guy expressing his intentions, and a couple of home rolling FOG's started chiming in giving him advice sharing videos, recommending certain leaves and explaining why. Some of the guys even posted their on videos! Over the course of 18 months, it's really caught fire and taken on a life of it's own.

It's not a bandwagon thing for me because I love cigars/tobacco. I will be joining the ranks towards the end of the year!

Someone here posted last night (in the what did you smoke thread) that he was smoking one of his home rolls. It would be great if he would chime in here!😉

If smoking cigars is on the "Darkside".... I don't think i'll ever see the "Light!!!:spy:
post #8 of 1236 Old 09-03-2015, 11:39 AM
ghe
Leading Puffer Fish

Check with the B&Ms in your area to see if any of them have either an in-house roller or contract with someone to roll for them. Many of those toreadors will give private instruction on rolling. As to tobacco, you're never going to get top-grade tobacco in such tiny amounts thousands of miles away from where it's grown. Again, talk to local shops and rollers. They're likely to be your best source of information.
cigarguycj likes this.
post #9 of 1236 Old 09-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

There was a guy who sold binder tobacco on Ebay. I saw it a long time ago, I was aware of the fact that some people roll their own cigars but the question is will your cigar the same as a premium handmade cigar? They say a good cigar roller is able to roll a cigar within 30 seconds, I saw the clips on youtube and man those guys are so quick. I really respect their skills.

There was a clip on YouTube of Alejandro Robeina, he talked about different blends and rolled a rough cigar in front of the camera. I can't find that clip anymore. But I think it would be a good start (just assuming I have no experience with this at all).
post #10 of 1236 Old 09-08-2015, 12:34 AM
Young Fish

Yeah, been rolling my own for half a year (about 500 sticks now). I have a blog and youtube about it, but can't post the links to those things until I have 30 posts here. I'm up to about 4 posts now, yay. In the meantime I can answer any questions you might have on the topic. I came to this forum specifically to find other rollers and wanna-be rollers.

Anyone rolling their own? (Cigars that is)-tuckcut_cigars3.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page