High humidity - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-29-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
No longer a community member.

High humidity

I am using heartfelt beads in a humidor they are 70% beads. I am getting a reading of about 83-85% so I have been opening it the humidor from time to time. Any ideas on why I am getting such a high reading. I know its not the hygrometer, Could I have over sprayed em? I think the package says to spray til about 85% of the beads are clear with distilled water. Anyone else had this problem before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-29-2016, 04:25 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

I have the same problem in my tupperdor right now. A couple days ago I used a syringe to wet about two thirds of my 65% beads, now I'm getting rh in the high 70's!? I took the beads out last night and this morning my hygrometer was still reading 66.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-29-2016, 05:37 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Just wondering how do you know it is not the hygrometer? you need to dry your beads out some so you have more beads to suck up humidity. it also dose not kill to have more beads than needed for your space to help the rh recover faster after being open. is it possible the ambient humidity outside your humidor is 70% or higher?? if so opening is not going to help the issue but actually make it worse. that is really all i can say with what i have to go off of from your post

Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman— or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle. - George Burns :smoke2:

post #4 of 26 Old 04-29-2016, 05:55 PM
The Karate Squid

Get a Boveda bag an test your hygrometer. Wait at least 24hrs before taking a reading. If it's on point, it's highly likely your beads are over-saturated.
demuths1770 and azmadurolover like this.

Puff.com Rules - Please don't PM me for Cuban sources
post #5 of 26 Old 04-29-2016, 06:05 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

I cuddle with Boveda bags ... HA ... I like'em ... just sayin' ;-)

If your task is too hard, you're doing something wrong ....
post #6 of 26 Old 04-29-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuths1770 View Post
Just wondering how do you know it is not the hygrometer? you need to dry your beads out some so you have more beads to suck up humidity. it also dose not kill to have more beads than needed for your space to help the rh recover faster after being open. is it possible the ambient humidity outside your humidor is 70% or higher?? if so opening is not going to help the issue but actually make it worse. that is really all i can say with what i have to go off of from your post

Yeah I am using much more beads than required. I know its not hygrometer I have recalibrated all hygrometers and tested it using more than. Not sure about humidity on the outside but inside the humidity does drop if I open it. I'm thinking maybe I over saturated the beads?
post #7 of 26 Old 04-29-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinsorHumidors View Post
I cuddle with Boveda bags ... HA ... I like'em ... just sayin' ;-)

Yeah I use Boveda in most of my humidors but in my larger humidors and wineador it can get pricey....so i went with beads I already spend quite a bit on Boveda.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-29-2016, 06:46 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Just take em out and let them dry out a bit. .now you can gauge how much to spritz then. .about 2/3rd as much as you did this time. Cigars are trial and error bro.
azmadurolover likes this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #9 of 26 Old 04-29-2016, 06:55 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

I'm a boveda lover myself.... mostly cause I'm lazy. Set it and foget it.

Not knocking the beads, I'm just too lazy, and my humidor is small(lol) so I don't need large amounts of humidity.

I would double check the hygrometer. Nevermind you said you have
post #10 of 26 Old 04-29-2016, 07:59 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

just went through this ....check hygro numbers first by by boveda calib.........mine were oversaturated ......took out 2 bags and let dry out, re-spritzed according to instructions, and the humidity stabilized............I was freaking.....I couldn't buy any more cigars, gasp!......... now all is golden........used the search feature to figure it out........posts for days talking about just such issues..............thanks puff members.............apparently they don't need to be wet to maintain rh, just damp.........who knew?...............apparently the forum members, lol

I am not a veterinarian, but I know a horses ass when I see one......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page