Local USPS - Page 4 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 95Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 53 Old 06-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish
 
Regiampiero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Macomb
Posts: 1,578
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Yikes....the ole Post Office shipping deal with cigars. First of all the provision for sending cigars out is what you said and I found out that the employees always tell people to use their shipping containers at more than twice the cost. I take small cardboard that is not labeled Post Office and use it...put my cigars in there ( outbound ) and the charge is half of what the PO charge.
I actually recently shipped a box to hudabear, and I thought to use the same priority box the cigars came in. Once they told it was going to be $17 to ship, I grabbed the priority box and stuck in a larger staples box I had in my car right in front of then and said...how much now? The lady looked at me like I had a third eye or something, and said $7 and change. These priority boxes are definitely not worth it when it comes to cigars or other light weight items.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
droy1958, Hudabear and TCstr8 like this.

The first step is admitting you have a cigar problem. The second step is realizing the problem is "not having enough cigars".
Regiampiero is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 53 Old 06-10-2016, 06:47 PM
CAT WRANGLER

 
UBC03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Weirton
Posts: 15,323
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regiampiero View Post
I actually recently shipped a box to hudabear, and I thought to use the same priority box the cigars came in. Once they told it was going to be $17 to ship, I grabbed the priority box and stuck in a larger staples box I had in my car right in front of then and said...how much now? The lady looked at me like I had a third eye or something, and said $7 and change. These priority boxes are definitely not worth it when it comes to cigars or other light weight items.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
They freak if you turn the priority boxes inside out also. Told them I'd buy a new box but didn't want to unpack the inside out one. They made me buy a new flat rate, unpack the inside out one, and put it in the new right side out box. Told them it wasn't very environmentally friendly. Needless to say they do not have a sense of humor.
Regiampiero likes this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
UBC03 is offline  
post #33 of 53 Old 06-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes
 
droy1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Broken Arrow
Posts: 2,734
           
For those who have a Paypoo account, you can go to ******.com/shipnow and print out a first class label if under 13 oz., or Priority if over. I think you also get a discount if I remember correctly. I'm not positive if that's the exact link, but you can Google it. Beats the hell out of standing in line to buy postage....

Like my father before me, I will work the land
And like my brother above me, I took a rebel stand...Robbie Robertson
droy1958 is offline  
 
post #34 of 53 Old 06-10-2016, 10:10 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish
 
Regiampiero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Macomb
Posts: 1,578
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by droy1958 View Post
For those who have a Paypoo account, you can go to ******.com/shipnow and print out a first class label if under 13 oz., or Priority if over. I think you also get a discount if I remember correctly. I'm not positive if that's the exact link, but you can Google it. Beats the hell out of standing in line to buy postage....
Thanks for the info, also some post offices have a little do-it-your-self kiosk. That's where I usually go, but for what ever reason the kiosk always closes earlier than the office itself.

The first step is admitting you have a cigar problem. The second step is realizing the problem is "not having enough cigars".
Regiampiero is offline  
post #35 of 53 Old 06-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Director of Sarcasm

 
Cigary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.
Posts: 17,720
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post
They freak if you turn the priority boxes inside out also. Told them I'd buy a new box but didn't want to unpack the inside out one. They made me buy a new flat rate, unpack the inside out one, and put it in the new right side out box. Told them it wasn't very environmentally friendly. Needless to say they do not have a sense of humor.
Yeah....they know that trick so I use their box sometimes and wrap it in brown paper....( the grocery bags ) and there's nothing they can do because they can't open it to inspect.

Turn the PO box inside out
Wrap the box in brown paper
Insert cigars
Take it to the PO and save 50% on the cost of shipping.

Total time invested in this.....5 minutes.
UBC03 likes this.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
Cigary is offline  
post #36 of 53 Old 06-11-2016, 10:36 AM
Leading Puffer Fish
 
demuths1770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: lancaster
Posts: 1,308
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Yeah....they know that trick so I use their box sometimes and wrap it in brown paper....( the grocery bags ) and there's nothing they can do because they can't open it to inspect.

Turn the PO box inside out
Wrap the box in brown paper
Insert cigars
Take it to the PO and save 50% on the cost of shipping.

Total time invested in this.....5 minutes.
This YOU DO NOT want to do..... ask me how I know!! Flat rate yes dose cost more......reason being they are giving you a FREE box and other FREE packing martial so that is how they are making up the cost by charging more on postage. they are really cracking down on people abusing flat rate right now. That is why the inside of the boxes have flat rate printed everywhere and the reason the address labels now have flat rate printed in dark blue ink like a water mark. I shipped a package that I sold in a small flat rate brown paper wrapped and paid $3.20 in shipping. 3 days later I got a message from the person I sold it to that he owed $3.50 in shipping when the box arrived because it was shipped in a "flat rate" box but not shipped flat rate. my way around this right now is i wrap the box in a flat rat bubble envelope and than toss it into a plain white bubble envelope and than mail it. so far no problem but im a gonna order a bulk order of small shipping boxes for 10-15 dollars for 25 which is about .40-.50 a box so shipping is still cheaper than flat rate and no worry about postage due at arrival any more

Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman— or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle. - George Burns :smoke2:
demuths1770 is offline  
post #37 of 53 Old 06-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish
 
MrCrowley39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 566
     
This has been a pretty good read for shipping information. I'm sure some of this can apply to Canada Post, haven't mailed any sticks out because in Canada shipping across the provincial lines is a no no.
MrCrowley39 is offline  
post #38 of 53 Old 06-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes
 
eliot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 864
    
I laugh a little when the lady at the counter asks if there's anything flammable inside the package.
eliot is offline  
post #39 of 53 Old 06-11-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Cheap and Cheerful

 
poppajon75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 4,512
           
I appreciate all of the participation on this. I learn something new every time I check Puff to see what's going on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Regiampiero and UBC03 like this.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.”
-Abraham Lincoln
poppajon75 is offline  
post #40 of 53 Old 06-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Leading Puffer Fish
 
Joe Sticks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: PacNW USA
Posts: 1,454
           
Well, you never know where a topic thread will go on this site. It started with a local USPS office understanding of their own shipping rules. It ended up with great tips for saving money on shipping stoggies. Thanks guys !

Note to self : keep reading active threads
Regiampiero and poppajon75 like this.
Joe Sticks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome