Looking for a humidor - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 01-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Pipe Smokin' Piranha

I say go straight for the jugular... Get a 150 qt cooler now, before you have 20'something Tupperware containers laying everywhere.

But seriously, everyone wants a nice looking desktop humi' to showcase. I second CheapHumidors.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 01-21-2017, 07:50 PM
The Karate Squid

Get a tupperdore about 25% larger than your stash. Will make it easier to keep rh regulated and you won't lose as much every time you open it. Then go bigger when it's full. They're cheap, and you'll want the overflow capacity. When you fill the big one, use the little one for overflow until you need the next big one.
curmudgeonista and UBC03 like this.

Puff.com Rules - Please don't PM me for Cuban sources
post #13 of 24 Old 01-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Yea def get bigger before you know it you will have triple the amount of cigars. Also boxes take up alotta room

post #14 of 24 Old 01-21-2017, 08:23 PM
Just monkeyin' around!

I agree with @StogieNinja and @UBC03. Be realistic about where you're at in your exploration of cigars. Looking ahead a little is okay (I liked @StogieNinja quantifying it at +25%). But a huge tupperdor or coolerdor that's way too big is not a plus at this point. Aside from just being more space to try to maintain proper RH (more space means more media, which means more cost, perhaps significantly more cost), having that much excess room tends to encourage you to just buy, buy, buy to fill it up before you've really built a foundation of knowledge, gotten to know your own tastes, and yes, found out that those tastes can change significantly in your early days, weeks, months, and even years in the hobby.

I think @DSturg369's comment about the 150 qt was meant tongue-in-cheek. But just to give you an idea of how much storage capacity that relates too I checked my spreadsheet to see how much is in my 150 qt that I use exclusively for box storage. It's still got room for several more boxes and many of those in it now are only partially full. And there's still 1,250 cigars in it! I'd say about 1,500 is max'd out. So extrapolate from that that the 74 qt tupper that was suggested will hold about 750 cigars. That ought to scare the crap out of anyone new to this. If it doesn't, get your calculator out and multiply that times the average cost of the cigars you're buying!

Take it slow. Plan for the immediate future and learn all you can. The far flung future will take care of itself.
Cigary and UBC03 like this.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
post #15 of 24 Old 01-21-2017, 09:43 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Hey do you guys leave your boxes pryed open to allow humidity to enter.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-21-2017, 09:58 PM
Pipe Smokin' Piranha

I went from a small Tupperware to adding a 50 count desktop to adding a 150 count desktop to a 48 qt cooler then adding a 125 count desktop to adding my 150 qt that I have today. At one time I was contemplating getting another cooler for overflow. Nowadays, just use the 150 count desktop and have the 150 quart about half full.

My point was that ODO can get ahead of you quickly.
curmudgeonista likes this.
post #17 of 24 Old 01-21-2017, 10:10 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitalianman13 View Post
Hey do you guys leave your boxes pryed open to allow humidity to enter.
I leave my boxes open slightly.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
post #18 of 24 Old 01-21-2017, 11:01 PM
CAT WRANGLER

I let the nail keep it open a quarter inch or so

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #19 of 24 Old 01-21-2017, 11:17 PM
Just monkeyin' around!

Mine stay shut. Works fine for me and they're easier to stack.

By the time I get them they're usually already a year or two old (or longer). If they can sit in distributor & vendors' humidified warehouses and walk-ins that long sealed, I don't figure I need to hang the lids open unless they show signs of being dry.
Cigary, gator_79, euro and 1 others like this.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
post #20 of 24 Old 01-21-2017, 11:23 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonista View Post
Mine stay shut. Works fine for me and they're easier to stack.

By the time I get them they're usually already a year or two old (or longer). If they can sit in distributor & vendors' humidified warehouses and walk-ins that long sealed, I don't figure I need to hand the lids open unless they show signs of being dry.
Maybe one day I'll have the problem of the way my boxes STACK.. Probably not but it is a nice problem to have.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page