Not enjoying the retrohale - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 145Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 06-17-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Not enjoying the retrohale

There's a couple different ways of retrohaling; I've tried them all and even invented my own. The idea is to pass smoke through the nostrils to discover more flavor. Thus far, I haven't enjoyed any of it or discovered anything new. I don't know if it's the temperature of the smoke or the body but it rarely feels good. Regardless of a short or long draw, it's a burning sensation most of the time. Only once with a Connecticut was it okay.

Perhaps my noobish nostrils haven't been abused enough to handle it. Do I want to keep retrahaling anyway in hopes that someday it will become enjoyable? Shall I cover my nostrils with a fine coat of tar just to get a little bonus flavor? Nah...I'll pass.

The flesh in the sinuses is raw, tender and sensitive. It almost seems like a bad idea to be passing cigar smoke through it. Not to mention that your brain is somewhere up there also (Last time I checked).

Not sure if any of you guys are familiar with the old YouTube cigar show by Dr. Joe. His show was great, but one day he simply disappeared and never made another video. He finally surfaced in the comment section of his last video and explained that a debilitating sinus infection took him right out of the game. He describes himself as horribly ill with pounding headaches. After weeks (Months?) of an intense, daily dose of antibiotics to kill the infection, he ended up okay, but the whole experience convinced him to hang up cigars for good. He didn't mention that the infection was directly related to cigars, but the whole thing kinda points in that direction.

Mouth-breather for life. Anyone else?

Likes: Padron 6000 Maduro, La Historia, LP No. 9, DE Undercrown, Herrera Esteli, Flor De Las Antillas, La Antiguedad, MB3, RP Sungrown Maduro, AJF Enclave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 06-17-2017, 05:30 PM

I'm not a fan of the retrohale either. I still do it a bit. What I do is exhale about 3/4 of the smoke from my mouth before I retrohale though. Before I tried that, I couldn't stand it. If that is too much for some cigars I exhale even more.
I pick up a few things I don't pick up without the retrohale, but not enough to make it a large part of my smoking experience.
83tonio, Del Fuego and msmith1986 like this.

"Contrary to the opinion of some, it is not shameful to let a cigar go out. It is only clumsy and awkward." Zino Davidoff
post #3 of 49 Old 06-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I'm a 20yr cigarette smoker, casual cigar and pipe for 10 yrs, and regular cigar smoking the past year or so. Maybe it's just me, but a little smoke of every puff likes to come out my nose, whether it's a cigar or after inhaling while smoking my natural homemade cigarettes. A strong cigar will burn some, but usually not unpleasant. I like strong maduros with a rich peppery retrohale. 😉👍

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

'I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form' -Winston Churchil

post #4 of 49 Old 06-17-2017, 06:25 PM
CAT WRANGLER

I retrohale almost every puff..

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #5 of 49 Old 06-17-2017, 06:26 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

I retrohale the pipe and cigar very regularly. For me, this is how I experience most of my flavor. With the pipe, I also do sort of a shallow French inhale to pick up more aroma and flavor. To each their own and the important thing is enjoying your fine tobacco.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
post #6 of 49 Old 06-17-2017, 06:37 PM
Site Moderator

You'll get used to it.
post #7 of 49 Old 06-17-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnash View Post
I retrohale the pipe and cigar very regularly. For me, this is how I experience most of my flavor. With the pipe, I also do sort of a shallow French inhale to pick up more aroma and flavor. To each their own and the important thing is enjoying your fine tobacco.
For whatever reason, a French inhale is more tolerable for me.

Likes: Padron 6000 Maduro, La Historia, LP No. 9, DE Undercrown, Herrera Esteli, Flor De Las Antillas, La Antiguedad, MB3, RP Sungrown Maduro, AJF Enclave
post #8 of 49 Old 06-17-2017, 06:40 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

There is a way to retro hale correctly and the wrong way is evidenced by those who can't seem to get a handle on it. First of all the strength of the cigar dictates as to how much ratio of smoke to air you want to use. A mild cigar one can almost go full draw but I'd advise using an 80/20 ratio.....smoke to air. How do you do this....first of all you'll want to draw in a small amount of air into your mouth and then a small draw of smoke....you'll have to practice this a lot until you get the hang of it. I draw in a 50/50 volume of air first then smoke....that means you open up your sinuses to your nose and let the mixture of air and smoke go back out of your nose either by forcing it out s l o w l y while keeping your mouth shut and letting the smoke/air go out through your nose. People tend to draw in a mouthful of smoke and then forcing it out of their nose and that's when you burn the $hit out of the tissues in your nose. There has to be a ratio of air with the smoke.....HAS TO...and once you get good at mixing the ratios you'll be a pro quickly. Start with a mild cigar to practice on so you don't burn your tissues...then gradually work your way up the ladder. Retro haling is all about tasting the smoke through your nose....it's not the same as taking a normal draw and expelling it out of your mouth like most of us do.

Some hardcore people can take a normal draw and retro hale because they've gotten use to doing this but it comes with a price....it's called nasal burnout....much like snorting cocaine where the septum gets burnt and regardless of the irritant it's the septum that takes the brunt and you can't revive tissues in the nostrils once they've been burnt out....that's why I advocate retro haling infrequently....that allows the tissues to heal just like any burn can heal over time.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
post #9 of 49 Old 06-17-2017, 06:48 PM
Got bumps on my ash!

Some cigars I could retro the whole thing. Most of the time I only retro about half the smoke each puff. Sure, the very first 1 or 2 retros burn a little, but after that I quite enjoy the sensation.
FMichael likes this.

"I probably could have been a rocket surgeon or brain scientists." Rondo 2019
post #10 of 49 Old 06-17-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
There is a way to retro hale correctly and the wrong way is evidenced by those who can't seem to get a handle on it. First of all the strength of the cigar dictates as to how much ratio of smoke to air you want to use. A mild cigar one can almost go full draw but I'd advise using an 80/20 ratio.....smoke to air. How do you do this....first of all you'll want to draw in a small amount of air into your mouth and then a small draw of smoke....you'll have to practice this a lot until you get the hang of it. I draw in a 50/50 volume of air first then smoke....that means you open up your sinuses to your nose and let the mixture of air and smoke go back out of your nose either by forcing it out s l o w l y while keeping your mouth shut and letting the smoke/air go out through your nose. People tend to draw in a mouthful of smoke and then forcing it out of their nose and that's when you burn the $hit out of the tissues in your nose. There has to be a ratio of air with the smoke.....HAS TO...and once you get good at mixing the ratios you'll be a pro quickly. Start with a mild cigar to practice on so you don't burn your tissues...then gradually work your way up the ladder. Retro haling is all about tasting the smoke through your nose....it's not the same as taking a normal draw and expelling it out of your mouth like most of us do.

Some hardcore people can take a normal draw and retro hale because they've gotten use to doing this but it comes with a price....it's called nasal burnout....much like snorting cocaine where the septum gets burnt and regardless of the irritant it's the septum that takes the brunt and you can't revive tissues in the nostrils once they've been burnt out....that's why I advocate retro haling infrequently....that allows the tissues to heal just like any burn can heal over time.
Excellent post. I didn't think of drawing air in first. If I could retrohale occasionally without any issues, I think it would be okay. I have a few mild cigars; I'll give it a try.
bpegler and Matt_21 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page