Help Me Identify This Cigar - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Help Me Identify This Cigar

A good friend of mine went to the Dominican Republic last week for some missions work. He stopped by a local cigar store to pick up a couple sticks to have as a reminder of his trip.

He said the shop owner recommended this cigar and gave him a little background on the brand itself apparently the locals all really like this brand of cigar and this particular one was the shops best seller. Only confusing part is we cannot find it listed anywhere online, I'm not sure if it is something they only sell in the D.R. or why we cannot find any information on the cigar itself. This is a brand that is made in the D.R is my understanding.

Anyone ever heard of this specific cigar before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1202.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	476.4 KB
ID:	153025  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1203.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	738.5 KB
ID:	153033  

Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Til' your good is better and your better is best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-26-2017, 10:45 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

The SLR brand itself is made in Santa Rosa De Copan in Honduras. Altadis USA owns the factory. One of my favorite brands of good quality budget smokes. That particular release I've never heard of though. I also know Altadis also owns Tabacalera Garcia which is in the DR and is supposed to be one of the biggest hand made cigar factories in the world. Maybe this particular SLR is made there? Maybe. Altadis has plenty of sticks made by AJF now, and they split plenty of their other production between factories in central America and DR.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Cigary and LeatherNeck like this.

'I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form' -Winston Churchil
post #3 of 12 Old 09-26-2017, 03:44 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

Each brand tends to specialize cigars in their own region....it's basically the same cigar as Saint Luis Rey Reserva Especial from what I've read.
msmith1986 likes this.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars

Last edited by Cigary; 09-26-2017 at 04:16 PM.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-26-2017, 03:50 PM
H.R. Pufnstuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Each brand tends to specialize cigars in their own region....it's basically the same cigar as Saint Luis Rey Reserva Especial from what I've read.
If that's the case...it is GOOD~!

....that's almost like flying on a plane with one wing. ~Cigary
post #5 of 12 Old 09-26-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Do you happen to have links to the articles? Or can point me in the right direction of where to look? I searched high and low on the internet with all the key words I can think of but havnt found anything yet.

I was assuming it would be something like you stated, that would be why it isnt readily available as far as online information or sources.

Thanks for your help @Cigary

Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Til' your good is better and your better is best.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-26-2017, 05:11 PM
Dark Lord

I searched SLR Platinum and saw a few articles for it/sales cant open them on my work computer though as tobacco sales flag and block...

I am not dying until I am damn good and ready.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-26-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtAv8tor View Post
I searched SLR Platinum and saw a few articles for it/sales cant open them on my work computer though as tobacco sales flag and block...
Every time I try to search SLR platinum it shows me a bunch of sweet Mercedes cars, and while its not what I was looking for I now for some reason have spent the past 20 mins drooling! lol

Are you just using google?
JtAv8tor likes this.

post #8 of 12 Old 09-26-2017, 06:03 PM
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBjanderson View Post
Every time I try to search SLR platinum it shows me a bunch of sweet Mercedes cars, and while its not what I was looking for I now for some reason have spent the past 20 mins drooling! lol

Are you just using google?

Yeah google and try slr platinum cigar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am not dying until I am damn good and ready.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-26-2017, 06:10 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBjanderson View Post
Do you happen to have links to the articles? Or can point me in the right direction of where to look? I searched high and low on the internet with all the key words I can think of but havnt found anything yet.

I was assuming it would be something like you stated, that would be why it isnt readily available as far as online information or sources.

Thanks for your help @Cigary
There isn't a direct link or explanation but those who travel quite a bit know that manufacturers will put bands on their cigars that are indigenous to that locale. If you'll look at the writing on the bands....Platinum...Special Edition....SLR....it's basically what is marketed here in the States but there it's with a different band. The question begs....why make a "different" cigar for that exclusive small area when you can market it in the US and bring more $$$....marketing the same thing with a different explanation has been going on since the invention of condoms when they label some Magnum Size when it's really just average....and when I say average I mean my size which means mine has an elbow.
msmith1986 and Hickorynut like this.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
post #10 of 12 Old 09-26-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtAv8tor View Post
Yeah google and try slr platinum cigar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I swear my computer must be showing me different information than your guys. I have tried searching every variation of the word and can only find their basic lines and a lot of information about other "platinum" lines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page