Decided to Re Season Cabinet Humidor - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By csk415
  • 2 Post By CigarScotty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-26-2017, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Decided to Re Season Cabinet Humidor

Ok guys, so due to major fluctuations in RH from top to bottom and the humi not really holding steady in the 64%-66% range I decided to give my humidor a once through. I sealed every joint possible in the humidor with Low Odor/Low VOC 100% Silicone. I also sealed around the receptacle with the silicone. I sealed the entire glass window area. The only spot that I can seal is where the door meets the humidor itself. Tried weather stripping but the door won't close. I am give it a few days to dry and fume to evacuate. My next question is what would be the best way to season a 2000+ count cabinet humidor. I am thinking 2 bowls of water and let the Cigar Oasis Magna Run at 70%. Also just a dumb question but when should I take the bowls of water out? When my other hygrometers are reading 70%?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-27-2017, 02:49 PM
No longer a community member.

I am no expert on big humidors like you discribe, and am surprise someone with a big humidor has not chimed in with help & advice. So I will make an observation about air & heat movement.

I am not sure how big your humidor is in actual size. Height, width, and last depth. But say you have a room that is want to be at a constant 78 degrees, and you have a heat pump for making it hot, and cold. The heat pump in most case is control by a devise that reads tempeture, and turns on the heat or cooling until desired tempetures is reached.

So if like in my house the laundry room is the greatest distance from the thermometer. It is never at optimal tempetures. So your humidor has different point, and variation of RH. I am sure if you has six perfectly calibrated RH gauges, set at six different points in your humidor there would be variation in readings.

JMHO and a little common sense reasoning. Even a B & M shop with big walk in humidor, tens of thousands of dollar in equptment to provided perfect RH & Tempeture store age, are effected by people coming and going in and out of the humidor. People body heat, and clothing effect RH & Tempeture. Yes some clothing item suck up RH. All they can do is try and make their storage environment as good as possible.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-27-2017, 03:40 PM
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

One of our members @Yukoner had hell with a humidor. Check out this link about his 2000+ cabinet and what he did.
https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/genera...pic-heavy.html

He also linked his other thread in the first post. Other than this I have nothing to offer help wise. Good luck.
Kidvegas likes this.

Only a little bit, I was able to get it in the truck without a forklift,,, - OneStrangeOne

post #4 of 7 Old 12-27-2017, 05:10 PM
CAT WRANGLER

I turn my automatic humidifier to rain forest(which is where it got stuck anyway) Let it run till humidity gets in the 80s. Shut it down. Then throw a couple big bowls of water and let it sit for a few days.. I do this about every couple winters or when I'm having issues.

Mines not that big .. 4' x 2'6" x 2

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #5 of 7 Old 12-27-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Well unfortunately, I let my damn drawers dry outside of the humidor and they warped. I have them weighted with the larger shelves while I am seasoning hoping they get their shape back. Ayyeee...
post #6 of 7 Old 12-28-2017, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarScotty View Post
Well unfortunately, I let my damn drawers dry outside of the humidor and they warped. I have them weighted with the larger shelves while I am seasoning hoping they get their shape back. Ayyeee...
Humi Currently at 48% RH, house is at 20% so I'm sure being out for a day they shelves dried out pretty drastically from the 65% RH they were at for 3 weeks. Anywho, just checked and warping is down to almost non existent, thank god. Started seasoning tonight. Have 3 Bowls of water in humi, Have 2 pounds of beads coming friday. Will let this process run out until it keeps gaining steadily to maybe 75%-80%. Then I'l remove the water and put my magna in and set it were I want it and let everything level out from there.
curmudgeonista and mpomario like this.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-21-2018, 07:11 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by csk415 View Post
One of our members @Yukoner had hell with a humidor. Check out this link about his 2000+ cabinet and what he did.
https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/genera...pic-heavy.html

He also linked his other thread in the first post. Other than this I have nothing to offer help wise. Good luck.
And while it seals pretty good now, it's by no means perfect. Moral of the story - buying a handmade, quality humidor is WELL worth it ! I'm in a bit of a unique circumstance because of where I live and how difficult it is to get stuff shipped to me (I tried getting handmade cabinet ones, but most couldn't / wouldn't ship to me, and the few that would, made the shipping cost so astronomically expensive that I just couldn't justify it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page