Do you age your NC's? - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 07-05-2019, 12:54 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Location: Massachusetts and Grand Cayman Island depending on the weather

I like to rest my NCs for at least 6 months, but find they smoke better when not over two years old . I generally tend to smoke my old stock first, so by the time I get to the new stock it's already at least 6 months old. The exception is the padron 1000 series which I think hits its sweet spot between 1-3 years. That said, sometimes i get antsy and pull out something I really want to try that has only a couple of months on it. Usually they are OK, but will still probably get better with a few more months on them. The other exception is my sentimental favorite, Parodis (first cigar I ever smoked 50 years ago). They taste the same whether they are 1 day or 10 years old. And that's without humidifying them.
Scotchpig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 07-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

The only time I age them is when they sit through the Winter.

Its just gone eight oclock and time for the penguin on top of your television set to explode.
post #13 of 30 Old 07-06-2019, 09:47 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Depends on the cigar. I smoke a lot of NCs within 2-6 months.

US Army Veteran 1974-1985

post #14 of 30 Old 07-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Buy more than you smoke and resting becomes inevitable. Had a La Gloria Cubana Serie R Maduro of all things with a year on it and it was smooooooooooth. I made a note of that in my little notebook.
SoCal Gunner and Bigjohn like this.

GO BLUE!!
post #15 of 30 Old 07-06-2019, 10:57 PM
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Experience is the Teacher here.....reading off the Internet is not real research because one is believing them over their own experience and research. The Internet is just a tool to help one find information...it's not the Bible,folks! People seem to think that they don't have to research anymore...just Google a subject matter and voila'....the answer unfolds.

I was reading a post the other day from one of our own Members who broached this subject matter and it hit me.....he's right! It's about OUR OWN EXPERIENCE that makes the difference...decades ago when our Veteran Cigar Smokers got into this hobby we had to do things the slow way.....we didn't run to encyclopedias to get a quick answer to what we had to do step by step....it was a learning curve to use our own history of what smoked great or how long to put an NC down for rest/age....we had to write memos and catalogue them as a point of reference or use our memory.

For the record....NC's do well with rest and sometimes aging.....complex and full bodied cigars are the appropriate cigars to do this with....not mild or medium ...but I'll admit there are exceptions to even that rule because not everybody shares the same tastes. I have probably smoked well over 70% of NC brands out there and most will get better with rest ( if they are full bodied ) Nothing teaches us better about this hobby than experience and once again....there are no short-cuts unless one wants to use them but usually they come back and complain about even that choice.
Gary has been killing it lately - hats off, sir.

Sent from the fetal position

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
post #16 of 30 Old 07-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Gunner View Post
Gary has been killing it lately - hats off, sir.

Sent from the fetal position

Just proving good aging does work.

I came into this world covered in someone elses blood and screaming. Im not afraid to leave it the same way.
post #17 of 30 Old 07-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Site Moderator

From my NC buying spree of 2015-16, I'd say basically all of mine got better after a year. Some by leaps and bounds. A few of the boutiques (JSK and Illusione) were better when only acclimated for a couple months but still fresh.
post #18 of 30 Old 07-09-2019, 03:31 AM

I prefer my nc's with age on them (medium to full bodied sticks). I just smoked a 2012 LFD colorado oscuro robusto a few days ago that was stunning. Not a big fan of peppery smokes that have nothing else to offer in terms of taste, that's were aging comes into play (for my palate) in my humble opinion.
Jankjr, Cigary, UBC03 and 1 others like this.

Maybe money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy fine cigars and liquor.
Me-
post #19 of 30 Old 07-12-2019, 10:14 PM

the only negative I've had with aging NC's is that some of them just start tasting kind of papery. These cigars, however, have been few and far between.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-12-2019, 10:47 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumanchu View Post
the only negative I've had with aging NC's is that some of them just start tasting kind of papery. These cigars, however, have been few and far between.
Aging is 5 years and more.....maybe you mean "resting" which is time before 5 years. NC's do not benefit with more than 3 years of rest even if they are full bodied....do hobbyists age NC....not as a general rule. I have some that are "aged" but it comes with a price...they tend to be muted in overall balance/character but that brings it down to a medium and I'm ok with that.

For those who try to "age" mild to medium are not going to enjoy them...this must be what you refer to as 'papery'. If one is going to spend that much time and effort "aging" a mild to medium NC....that's time that could have been suited for other things....JMHO. To know an NC with experience is one thing after having done the work but just to throw cigars into a humidor and 'age' them.....I dunno!!
Kidvegas, Bigjohn and Peapaw like this.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page