Cbid, issues with sticks? - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-28-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Cbid, issues with sticks?

Canít put my finger on the reasoning but most of my purchases from cigar big end up in the trash! Have not had an issue with any other online distributor and wondering if anyone else has had the same issues.

Most of them seem to crack, primarily around the top inch of the cigar. (Iíd say 1/3 of my purchases) if they make it past that the side blows out from the cap when cut(close to half of them) after that Iím usually 50/50 weather or not it will have cap issues.

First I questioned is I was just a moron and forgot how to cut a cigar but no, anything that came from famous,cfed, or a b&m are flawless. My humi is a wineador regulated at 70% (69% packs, 3, 320s for my little guy) and all is right with the world in there. No other sticks ever have issues. But any brand I get from cbid tend to die an un burned death, everything to half a box of man o wars to Camachos there must be a reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 12:19 AM
Site Moderator

How long do you rest them before putting a flame to them?
Cigary, Matt_21, TCstr8 and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 09:59 AM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Send a message via AIM to mpomario Send a message via MSN to mpomario
70% is too high IMO. I would also make sure your hygrometers are calibrated.

Sent from the Bureau of Declining Returns and Urban De-laborization.
Cigary, blackrabbit and TBonz like this.

ďAny cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels.Ē Ė Alfred de Musset

post #4 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 10:11 AM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

Let's cut to the chase here with "big box" cigar companies and how they "store" cigars....they are not the corner cigar store so their environment leaves a lot to be desired. They have a reputation of storing at 70% and higher which means in the summertime when they get to your casa they have spent another 3-7 days in some hot truck/van swelling up with humidity like a pregnant rhino...probably spent a few months in the warehouse under high RH as well and people don't get the idea that if u smoke these swollen turds ROTT....."gee, the wrappers just split and burned like backyard trash.....I dunno how that happens...." even if you let em sit for a few weeks the cigar is still swollen with excess RH like a 60 year old woman going thru menopause....

Guys....honestly....if you are going to use that Vendor know full well that the cigars are laden with high RH.....let em sit for a few months and if you just have to have a cigar then go to your local B&M and grab a few or use a Vendor that we all know about...order from them and wait patiently as they rest for a few weeks.
grapplefu, Matt_21, UBC03 and 6 others like this.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
post #5 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 01:07 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

I don't want to bad mouth Cbid, but to be honest, every order I received from them was not quite right. I rested most everything at least six months so I know it was proper RH when I smoked it. For this reason, I never had any splitting or explosions, but every cigar from them just seemed flat. I had quite a few Padrons of various series and when I compared them to equals purchased off my B&M shelf, they fell short.

There has to be a reason why there are such good deals to be had there. "There is no free lunch"
SoCal Gunner and msmith1986 like this.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
post #6 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 01:16 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Drop your Humidors to 62% and give your sticks a few months to acclimate.
msmith1986 likes this.

Go Ducks!
post #7 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 01:21 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Location: Massachusetts and Grand Cayman Island depending on the weather

I buy 100- 200 cigars from them every year, and have never had a problem with any of them. They seem no better or worse than any of the other vendors I buy from. I always rest them at 65% for at least a couple of months while I smoke through my older stock. The only problem I ever have is that they occasionally mix up a shipment. But when I've called to say something was missing, they ship the right item out immediately no questions asked. And for the couple of times they shipped me the wrong item, they again shipped out the right item immediately and then asked me if I wanted to propose a low price for buying the wrong item rather than them having to pay to have me ship it back. I've gotten a couple of nice packs for $1 a stick that way. The thing I DO hate about them is that every time I sign on just to "check it out" I end up bidding on everything. Last week I won 23 of 30 bids I had no intention of placing. Fortunately I'm pretty disciplined and set somewhat low max bids. Got 100 great cigars coming next week at an average price of about $2.80 a stick.
Jankjr, mpomario, huffer33 and 2 others like this.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 01:23 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnash View Post
I don't want to bad mouth Cbid, but to be honest, every order I received from them was not quite right. I rested most everything at least six months so I know it was proper RH when I smoked it. For this reason, I never had any splitting or explosions, but every cigar from them just seemed flat. I had quite a few Padrons of various series and when I compared them to equals purchased off my B&M shelf, they fell short.

There has to be a reason why there are such good deals to be had there. "There is no free lunch"
It's been at least three years since I've used cigarbid and even at that time there were reports and quality issues as well as order issues. Since I have more cigars than I can smoke I rarely will buy any cigars unless I know for a certainty that I want to smoke them... There are far too many reliable and quality online businesses that'd basically beat C Bid and their auctions.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
post #9 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 01:32 PM
Young Puffer Fish

Iím pretty inexperienced compared most folks here but Iíve had issues with sticks from cigarbid. They admittedly werenít rested as long as they should have been, but the number of plugs and cracked wrappers Iíve gotten from them is higher than Iíve had elsewhere.

More concerning to me though was how they handled it. I had an order with a few bad sticks and reported it, and their reply was that my next order would come with free replacements (no refund offer). On the next order they were missing, so I contacted them again and they said theyíd send replacements on the *next* order, this time for sure.

I donít smoke a whole lot so I really donít want to have to fuss over orders like this. Iíd rather give my money to a company thatís had stellar service, which in my experience are Fox and Cigarpage.
Jankjr and Wheels Up like this.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 01:38 PM
One of the a-holes

Been a satisfied customer of theirs since the beginning and never any issues.
Going from 70% to 0% is traumatic for anything with water content.
Cigary and huffer33 like this.

Blue Lives Matter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page