Very good analogy.
Peapaw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 Old 07-25-2019, 11:53 AM
‾‾°‾°‾Ô‾°‾°‾‾

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natefiet View Post
Newest addition to their core line, I fail to see how this is a knock off of a CC. It says Nicaragua right on the label lol. First time trying this one....pretty good so far.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If you like them, smoke the hell out of them. I’ve had a few that I thought were just ok and would treat them as a yard gar. That’s just my opinion tho. Regardless of the name sake if it’s a stick you like smoke it. I freaking love the Hoyo La Amistad sticks but don’t like the regular line of Hoyo. Can’t speak of the original Hoyo since I haven’t found the interest to go that route.
OneStrangeOne likes this.

Only a little bit, I was able to get it in the truck without a forklift,,, - OneStrangeOne
post #23 of 47 Old 07-25-2019, 01:47 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey's Ghost View Post
You would know the difference

Two different animals

CCs are like being seduced by Jacqueline Bisset

NCs are like going to a strip club and having someone dance in your face

Am I the only one that had to look her up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peapaw and Wheels Up like this.

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.

post #24 of 47 Old 07-25-2019, 02:25 PM
No longer a community member.

It's fun to see everyone claim that the NC's are the rip off brand.... Since those were started by the owners of the brands when the government showed up and said, "MINE". but at the end of the day... Whats in a name? I still have my preferences!

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk
mpomario, Peapaw and Wheels Up like this.
post #25 of 47 Old 07-25-2019, 03:14 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post

LOL, I doubt it
I would have used a modern actress with grace, charm, class and subtlety but...
I could use Grace Kelly if that helps

Go Ducks!
post #26 of 47 Old 07-25-2019, 03:20 PM
Just monkeyin' around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dran View Post
It's fun to see everyone claim that the NC's are the rip off brand.... Since those were started by the owners of the brands when the government showed up and said, "MINE". but at the end of the day... Whats in a name? I still have my preferences!

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk
This is not the place to go into discussion of the political ideology and legal battles. What puts NC's in the backseat, in terms of the cigars themselves, is that the CC's are an unbroken continuation of the products - the tobacco and cigars - not the trademark.
Cigary, Dran and Peapaw like this.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
post #27 of 47 Old 07-25-2019, 04:44 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Gunner View Post
Imagine the Pontiac Fiero was instead branded as a Ferrari.

But, hey, if you loved your Fiero, then let your mullet fly in the wind!

Sent from the fetal position
Mullet and an IROC ..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Matt_21 and SoCal Gunner like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #28 of 47 Old 07-25-2019, 06:10 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post

Yes

Humphrey's Ghost likes this.

“Any cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels.” – Alfred de Musset
post #29 of 47 Old 07-27-2019, 01:52 PM
Minister of Propaganda

At the risk of treading near the edge of the rule, I will do my absolute best to keep this focused on NC.

I have had several of the big names from the island whose name shall not be mentioned. They are wonderful with some age.

I have also had most of the same names in their NC versions. Many of the NC versions fall short in any effort of replicating their CC cousin. Not necessarily that the NC brand is a bad smoke, but they very different from the original and often use that band name to justify a premium price tag.

One glaring example is Cohiba. The NC Cohibas are not bad cigars. They are not, in my opinion, worth their price, but I will not turn my nose up at them if I find one in my hand. I certainly wouldn’t call them a dog rocket, but I also don’t seek them out unless there is a killer deal on a sampler or something. There is some value in keeping some less expensive “B” sticks around and that’s what I consider them. If they were the real thing, I’d keep them with the rest of my really premium cigars. It’s the same thing with Macanudo in my book.

There are some NC brands that I believe are at least as good as (if not better than) anything coming out of the forbidden island. My favorite examples are Ashton and Arturo Fuente. Certainly not every smoke from their lines are better, but some of them, like the Ashton VSG are outstanding (in my opinion).

Somewhere in between, I’d put brands like Romeo y Julieta and Then Montecristo. Most of those lines are okay smokes but I don’t find them all outstanding. I will be the first to admit that I absolutely love the NC RyJ brand, and the 1875 or the Reserva Real are two of my favorite go-to cigars. I really like the Monte by Montecristo, but I’ve had a lot of Montecristos that I’d consider “B” smokes.

In the end, smoke what you like. Tastes are HIGHLY subjective, and our brains are easily influenced by things that don’t matter. If someone handed out a box of FFOX to everyone here, but lied about the brand on them, my guess is that you’d find a lot of different reviews. Some wouldn’t like it because they wouldn’t like that flavor and strength no matter what you call it. Some would love it because they’ve had that smoke 100 times, know and love it like falling into their bed after a long day of hard work.

But I suspect that a larger number of us than we’d like to admit would be heavily influenced by the brand name of what ever you told us it is. Some might say they don’t like it because they only like CCs. If you told us it was a Montecristo, some would like it or hate it just because of that. Many opinions are subconsciously formed before cigars are even lit.

Tastes are HIGHLY subjective and I suppose that was a long way to say that you just have to find why you like and enjoy it. It doesn’t matter what anybody else likes. But if you’re wondering why a smoke you really like isn’t as well received by the masses here, it’s likely a mix of NC “knock-off” bias, general deficit of the brand in relation to the CC brand of the same name, and to some extent, some people just don’t like them no matter what they’re called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When drone technology advances, hands-free umbrellas are going to be incredible.
post #30 of 47 Old 07-27-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Up View Post
At the risk of treading near the edge of the rule, I will do my absolute best to keep this focused on NC.

I have had several of the big names from the island whose name shall not be mentioned. They are wonderful with some age.

I have also had most of the same names in their NC versions. Many of the NC versions fall short in any effort of replicating their CC cousin. Not necessarily that the NC brand is a bad smoke, but they very different from the original and often use that band name to justify a premium price tag.

One glaring example is Cohiba. The NC Cohibas are not bad cigars. They are not, in my opinion, worth their price, but I will not turn my nose up at them if I find one in my hand. I certainly wouldn’t call them a dog rocket, but I also don’t seek them out unless there is a killer deal on a sampler or something. There is some value in keeping some less expensive “B” sticks around and that’s what I consider them. If they were the real thing, I’d keep them with the rest of my really premium cigars. It’s the same thing with Macanudo in my book.

There are some NC brands that I believe are at least as good as (if not better than) anything coming out of the forbidden island. My favorite examples are Ashton and Arturo Fuente. Certainly not every smoke from their lines are better, but some of them, like the Ashton VSG are outstanding (in my opinion).

Somewhere in between, I’d put brands like Romeo y Julieta and Then Montecristo. Most of those lines are okay smokes but I don’t find them all outstanding. I will be the first to admit that I absolutely love the NC RyJ brand, and the 1875 or the Reserva Real are two of my favorite go-to cigars. I really like the Monte by Montecristo, but I’ve had a lot of Montecristos that I’d consider “B” smokes.

In the end, smoke what you like. Tastes are HIGHLY subjective, and our brains are easily influenced by things that don’t matter. If someone handed out a box of FFOX to everyone here, but lied about the brand on them, my guess is that you’d find a lot of different reviews. Some wouldn’t like it because they wouldn’t like that flavor and strength no matter what you call it. Some would love it because they’ve had that smoke 100 times, know and love it like falling into their bed after a long day of hard work.

But I suspect that a larger number of us than we’d like to admit would be heavily influenced by the brand name of what ever you told us it is. Some might say they don’t like it because they only like CCs. If you told us it was a Montecristo, some would like it or hate it just because of that. Many opinions are subconsciously formed before cigars are even lit.

Tastes are HIGHLY subjective and I suppose that was a long way to say that you just have to find why you like and enjoy it. It doesn’t matter what anybody else likes. But if you’re wondering why a smoke you really like isn’t as well received by the masses here, it’s likely a mix of NC “knock-off” bias, general deficit of the brand in relation to the CC brand of the same name, and to some extent, some people just don’t like them no matter what they’re called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree that the retail price for the NC Big name brands is not worth it. If I'm dropping $10-$20 on a single stick, I'm not going to be buying NC Monte, RyJ, or Cohiba. But if I can pick up those same smokes for $4-5 a piece I'll buy them all day long.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
mpomario and Wheels Up like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page