First CigarBid Purchase Last Night - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

First CigarBid Purchase Last Night

So I've spent plenty of time looking at CBid over the past year or so, but honestly, the prices didn't seem that great, and the selection was often spotty. Last night, though, I was watching my Cardinals beat the tar out of the Pirates, and I decided to have a look. I've gotten into maduros lately, and I thought I'd see if there were any interesting deals to be had. I quickly found a listing for a fiver of the Nub Double Maduro, and the bid to win was only $15.50. I know nothing about these sticks, but for that price, I figured it'd be worth throwing out a bid and seeing what happened. Turns out, $15.50 was all it took!

So now, I've got this fiver in the queue to ship on Wednesday, and of course, now I'm looking at other listings to try to maximize my shipping before then. It seems pretty clear to me that this how they hook you.

Anyway, I just thought it should be documented somewhere that I finally gave in and used the Devil Site. If anyone sees any good listings over the next few days, feel free to post them here so I can make more poor life choices.

Also, any thoughts on the Nub Dubs? They look pretty good, and I like the other Nubs I've had, but I'm not familiar with the Brazilian wrapper they use.
Sine_Qua_Non likes this.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” --J.R.R. Tolkien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 08:34 AM
S&W
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Well it's all down hill from here!

Just kidding. If you use the site correctly and with restraint, there are deals to be had.
Cigary and greypilgrim76 like this.
post #3 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 08:42 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgrim76 View Post
So now, I've got this fiver in the queue to ship on Wednesday, and of course, now I'm looking at other listings to try to maximize my shipping before then. It seems pretty clear to me that this how they hook you.
this has been written on many of our tombstones

"In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."

post #4 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 08:47 AM

Also if you use that site correctly without constraint there will be extra storage to be needed.

Sent from the bottom of the rabbit hole getting settled in using Tapatalk
S&W and greypilgrim76 like this.
post #5 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Huggins View Post
Also if you use that site correctly without constraint there will be extra storage to be needed.
I may or may not have just ordered the materials for a second tupperdore.
S&W and Ren Huggins like this.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” --J.R.R. Tolkien
post #6 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 09:06 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Nub dubs are great smokes as long as you're ok with the size of a nub. I have a few boxes of 4x60 and 4x66 and prefer the 60 ring just a tad bit more. You did just fine at 3 bucks a stick. Be careful on cbid or you will end up with way more then you anticipated lol
ForMud and greypilgrim76 like this.

FEAR THE BEAR
post #7 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 09:27 AM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

A lot of us have done CBID over the years and if you are a good shopper....you can beat CBID by making a Cigar File like I have with a list of my favorites in it with the Website....example is :

Illusione Maduro Roths.....50 cigars for $176......nobody beats that price from Superior Cigars.....

If you will Google the cigars you like with these keywords " best pricing on XYZ " you will get a list of places and then click on it for pricing. REMEMBER that we have Sponsors here that give some great discounts....there are always codes that one can use...I use several that allow me to get 17% to 20% off order.....while some have minimum order pricing to get that discount.

When I stopped using CBID I was having some QC issues and was having to send them back....waste of time and I tend to let my orders rest for 60 days....that means they are often times out of the Return Window so if you use any Vendor....smoke just one before that window closes just in case.
Kidvegas, Bigjohn, Dran and 2 others like this.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars

Last edited by Cigary; 07-26-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #8 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 11:46 AM
No longer a community member.

Cbid is crazy easy to beat on the pipe side! Almost 100% of auctions end well below retail!

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk
post #9 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

OP, I agree with you that I see no value in Cbid. I’ve tried both Cigars and Pipe tobacco and have no use for them. If you want to purchase something specific, it’s most likely getting a lot of bidders.

If you are willing to buy whatever has no attention for the sake of saving money, then you’re ending up with a bunch of crap that you probably won’t smoke.

I finally won an auction for a tin of pipe tobacco for half price, but then the shipping charge put me over retail. I was trying to win multiple auctions to make the most of the shipping charge, but I would have had to overbid on the other items I wanted.

This is why Cbid is profitable. People will either overpay or buy cheap crap they really don’t want to tray and “make it worthwhile”

At the end of the day, I just want to logon and buy what I want now and not wait several days to see if the price is going to stay sane.

You just have to know what kind of shopper you are.
Cigary, curmudgeonista and S&W like this.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
post #10 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 12:10 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dran View Post
Cbid is crazy easy to beat on the pipe side! Almost 100% of auctions end well below retail!

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

I wish I didn’t read this just now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dran and SteveInNY like this.

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page