What made you pick up your first cigar? - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 10-20-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

What made you pick up your first cigar?

Ok, so I've been smoking cigarettes for the last 10+ years and am currently looking into getting into cigar smoking. Ive done some basic research on the hobby and was curious. What made you begin smoking cigars in the first place?

Mine started several years ago when I walked by a local cigar shop and they had the front doors open and the smell that came out of the store was intoxicating. I went in and bought 2 3$ cigars and made so many rookie mistakes when it came to cigars that I ruined the experience for me for years afterward. I recently found some cigar review videos on youtube and that got me intrigued in the hobby again. Im just not sure where to begin.

P.S. I am aware of the mistakes I made many years ago. It wasnt until last year that I even knew I messed it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-20-2019, 02:34 AM
Site Moderator

After crankin' down lots of siggies and taking dips of snoose as a teenager I knew in my heart there was more to tobacco than that. When I turned 18 I went to a cigar shop and bought a cigar from the Saudi Arabian shop owner. I was shocked at the prices but continued to buy a couple singles PER YEAR as a treat. Then I kinda lost interest for several years until... I got a cigar catalog in the mail. The end. LOL!!!
curmudgeonista and Hickorynut like this.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-20-2019, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABOOM View Post
until... I got a cigar catalog in the mail. The end. LOL!!!
Which catalog did you receive? Im gonna try to hit up my B&M sometime this week. Just gotta try to find time.

post #4 of 20 Old 10-20-2019, 04:16 AM
Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adarus21 View Post
Ok, so I've been smoking cigarettes for the last 10+ years and am currently looking into getting into cigar smoking. Ive done some basic research on the hobby and was curious. What made you begin smoking cigars in the first place?

Mine started several years ago when I walked by a local cigar shop and they had the front doors open and the smell that came out of the store was intoxicating. I went in and bought 2 3$ cigars and made so many rookie mistakes when it came to cigars that I ruined the experience for me for years afterward. I recently found some cigar review videos on youtube and that got me intrigued in the hobby again. Im just not sure where to begin.

P.S. I am aware of the mistakes I made many years ago. It wasnt until last year that I even knew I messed it up.

PM me your address i'll send you a few cigars to help you get started
UBC03, Mark in wi, S&W and 2 others like this.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-20-2019, 09:52 AM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastcrxsi90 View Post
PM me your address i'll send you a few cigars to help you get started
AAAAAAnnnd welcome to Puff.. home of enablers..always willing to put a boot on your neck and stuff you down our rabbit hole.

DON'T get the Thompson catalog. They're the psycho ex girlfriend of the cigar world.. I haven't talked to them in over a decade and they're still trying to get me back.

DON'T join a COTM club. Unless it's SB.

DO get a good 2 blade guillotine cutter and a good lighter. Dual flame is plenty, don't go for the quad flame like alot of new guys.

DON'T go crazy in the beginning, your taste will change.

DO use the "what am I smoking non habanos" thread and our members reviews to figure ot what to buy. They won't sugar coat it.

DON'T ask what should I buy. Everyone's tastes are different

DON'T believe the reviews on the sale sites. They have Ron Mexicos and avocados listed as top notch

DO support your local B&M. It's a great way to test drive cigars.

DON'T smoke just one and write it off. These are hand rolled pieces and quality varies. You may of just pulled a bad stick outta the box ..

DO search our WTS thread for good deals on well rested cigars. (You'll see the difference between one ROTT and an acclimated stick)

Most of all. Take your time, enjoy the adventure, and remember that the collections the ladies and gentlemen have around here didn't happen over night. You'll also notice that the ones that went crazy in the beginning are selling alot of the stuff they out grew..

Oh and don't be annoyed that I totally hijacked your thread and veered it slightly off course. I do that alot.. sorry

Sent from ... hey Jon, where's my damn sandwich

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #6 of 20 Old 10-20-2019, 10:11 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adarus21 View Post
Which catalog did you receive? Im gonna try to hit up my B&M sometime this week. Just gotta try to find time.
Thompson, but I don't recommend ordering from them.
jmt8706 likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-20-2019, 10:52 AM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

I probably picked up my first cigar because it was a stub in an ashtray when I was a kid and I wanted to see what the big deal was. (Spoiler alert: it didn't go well.)

I picked up my first real cigar when I studied abroad in college and thought I should buy a Cuban cigar since I could. (I knew nothing about brands or storage, and I ended up smoking it as dry as a twig years later.)

I picked up the cigar that started me down my current path about a year and a half ago when my best friends from high school and I got together at our buddy's house in Florida to play RPGs for a week. One of my friends brought a travel humidor and I smoked an ACID Kuba Kuba, which I loved. By the time I got home, I'd decided I was gonna get serious about cigars. (I don't really like ACIDs anymore, though. Tastes change QUICKLY in the beginning.)

Now, I'm a bona-fide maduro-head Puffer patiently awaiting the Dark Days box pass to arrive on my doorstep.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” --J.R.R. Tolkien
post #8 of 20 Old 10-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Chaotic

The smell, and as a substitute for cigarettes, I found when I smoked a cigar in the morning I didn’t crave a cigarette no where near as much as I normally had. Haven’t touched a cigarette in over 10 years now.

Although I probably would have saved money if I had stuck with cigarettes lmao

“I have you now” - Vader
WABOOM, UBC03, msmith1986 and 2 others like this.

I am not dying until I am damn good and ready.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtAv8tor View Post

Although I probably would have saved money if I had stuck with cigarettes lmao

Ha!
post #10 of 20 Old 10-20-2019, 03:22 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Tried my first cigar about 20 years ago. Got hooked to the hobby. Started like most of the newbs buying the cheap intro offers from Thompson and such but was lucky to meet a few knowledgeable bolts who were kind enough to introduce me to some cigar boards and show me what quality sticks smoked like. Never looked back

Smoke what you like - Like what you smoke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page