• 4 Post By curmudgeonista
  • 1 Post By superman0234
  • 2 Post By Gummy Jones
  • 4 Post By snowy70

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

Aged Non-Habanos Mega Thread

To start off, it has been a few years since I last posted here. I moved away from cigars as the hobby mostly revolved around my dad's death. I built up a large collection from 2011-2013 and then just stopped smoking them more or less in 2014. Fast forward to today and it being fall, i'm back in the mood. Anyway, all my cigars are basically from 2011-2012 and have been kept in my various humidors/fridgidor in the range of 55-75% humidity depending on my laziness. As these are all I currently own and most have 6-8 years on them, I thought it apt to make a thread on aged non cubans. I'm sure many members have older non cuban sticks, which we all know you're not really supposed to age, but sometimes it does happen. Any way, here's the format

[Stick Name]: [Years aged]: [Pairing (beer, wine, soda, etc)] : [State of Mind]

To start things off, let me present to you an offering:

[My Father Flor De Antillas] : [Aged 7 years, 10/29/2012]: [Pairing (Founders Porter)]: [Depressed that summer is over and my pool is gone, excited about the Honda HS35 snowblower I just picked up]

Flavors are muttled and muted throughout 2 thirds of the cigar. Nearly tossed it, but kept going and glad I did. Last third was pure flavor bomb consisting mostly of smoked pork with a heavy dose of caramel sweetness. More than made up for the chalky, boring start and middle.

2.5/5 stars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 03:23 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Welcome back

Sent from ... hey Jon, where's my damn sandwich
superman0234 likes this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #3 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 03:42 PM
Just monkeyin' around!

Sorry, I don't do formats (you wouldn't want to hear the state-of-mind they put me in anyway).

• Padron Anniversary 1964 Exclusivo (natiural wrapper) - $$$ - aged 10-years - Dead as a door-nail! Like trying to smoke a rolled up newspaper.
  • Padron 3000 Maduro - $$ - aged 10-years - Much smoother than a freshie, but still delivering loads of flavor. Pepper permanently perished.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain

post #4 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

Minus your state of mind (i assume insane), I appreciate the feedback. Padrons to me would have been a go to aging stick. My masterblends have aged excellently. Surprised other high ends die.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

[EP Carillo Short Run 2013 Robusto]: [6 years]: [Paired with a not so great "craft" root beer from Aldi] : [Relaxed after getting out of work early due to potential snow]

I've always liked these cigars and have smoked them fresh, aged 2 years, aged 4 years and now aged 6 years. Most notable change is a smoothing of transitions. They become less distinct over time and blend more seamlessly. Overall flavors have remained the same over the years; Wood, earthiness, and a touch of sweetness. Great cigars. Only got one left, so I'll have to save it for the 10 year test!
post #6 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

[5 Vegas AAA Lancero]: [7 years, 9/20/2012]: [Paired with a cold dreary day]: [Tired due to neighbor's construction project that started at 6am]

One word, wow. One other word, CHOCOLATE! This one is really shinning now. Deep, intense, encompassing chocolate that just coats your whole mouth. Any sort of bite or spice that it once had is basically gone just faintly noticeable on the retrohale, and replaced by wave after wave of smooth chocolate. As it continued, notes of bakers spice and caramel make themselves known, but the pure cocoa never ceases to dominate. Remarkably delicious from beginning to end. Some minor draw issues for about the first inch, but considering it's a lancero that still left 6 more inches of perfect smoking cigar. I've got a few more of these in the wineador, but will definitely be picking up a few more to lay down for a long and worthwhile rest.
Mike2147 likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 03:56 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman0234 View Post
[5 Vegas AAA Lancero]: [7 years, 9/20/2012]: [Paired with a cold dreary day]: [Tired due to neighbor's construction project that started at 6am]

One word, wow. One other word, CHOCOLATE! This one is really shinning now. Deep, intense, encompassing chocolate that just coats your whole mouth. Any sort of bite or spice that it once had is basically gone just faintly noticeable on the retrohale, and replaced by wave after wave of smooth chocolate. As it continued, notes of bakers spice and caramel make themselves known, but the pure cocoa never ceases to dominate. Remarkably delicious from beginning to end. Some minor draw issues for about the first inch, but considering it's a lancero that still left 6 more inches of perfect smoking cigar. I've got a few more of these in the wineador, but will definitely be picking up a few more to lay down for a long and worthwhile rest.
I’ve never had a aaa lance but have a few robusto 5 year old ones left
Mike2147 and superman0234 like this.

"In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."
post #8 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Newbie in the ocean

Most of my NCs are about 10 to 12 years old. I haven't bought a NC since 2009. I tried Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic Lancero the other day and it was amazing. It's still had that powerful peppery taste but it was backed up by a creamy chocolate taste. This was from beginning to the end. Now I am excited about NCs that I have.

I have about 75 to 100 NCs and I am excited to try Shark/Opus X/GoF/Padron 1926 80th Anniversary.

Just need to find a nice warm day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

[La Gloria Cubana Artesanos De Obelisco]: [7-8 years, can't remember the exact date]: [Paired with Founders Porter, yes I know it's early, no I do not care lol] : [Upbeat due to a semi decent 45 degree day in December]

I bought a 5er box of these years ago and tried one out fairly fresh. Let's just say that went terribly and I have not touched them since. They were acrid, burned terribly, had poor draw and overall were a huge disappointment considering their price and La Gloria's general reputation. Fast forward to today and o how the tables have turned. First third still had a wonky burn, but I chalk that up to the weird box press obelisk shape they come in. Semi-tight draw was alleviated by a second cut. Now on to the flavors, flavors galore. Long gone is any acridness, staleness, and boring profile. This cigar has become rich and delicious from start to finish. Cedar, earth, and leather dominate the first third, cocoa, caramel and a bit of vanilla bean appear through the second third, and the final third intermingled a combination of cedar, caramel, earth and cocoa. A fantastic cigar minus the burn issues. Never thought I would say it, but I am very happy to still have a couple of these left!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page