To Freeze Of Not To Freeze. That is the question. - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 11-14-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

To Freeze Of Not To Freeze. That is the question.

To Freeze Of Not To Freeze. That is the question.

Tobacco beetles the bane of BOTL and SOFTL alike.

Do any of you freeze you sticks before putting them in your main humdiro or quarantine them?

Me, no. I'll take my chances.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tobacco Beetles.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	263114  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-14-2019, 11:13 AM
Retired Chaos Designer

I freeze everything, after you find Beetles in your stash you will too!
Granted it doesnít happen very often but trust me itís a devastating feeling when it does.
CloakedInSmoke and lpferrante like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #3 of 36 Old 11-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Itís only a few extra days at the beginning of what Iíd like to hope is a several year resting process. Mine get frozen.
CloakedInSmoke and lpferrante like this.

post #4 of 36 Old 11-14-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex61 View Post
Itís only a few extra days at the beginning of what Iíd like to hope is a several year resting process. Mine get frozen.
I see your point. But I figure all New World cigars are frozen before they're shipped, and it's the same with al export Habanos. The only time things can get sketchy on the later is if a BOTL buys gray market, since you don't know i they come direct from CUba. The not for expert sticks aren't frozen.

I only keep about 20 stiicks at a time and all New World in cello. So even if i had an outbreak, the damage would be minimal. Thought if a person has 100 or more, it would be good to freeze.
post #5 of 36 Old 11-14-2019, 11:46 AM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpferrante View Post
I see your point. But I figure all New World cigars are frozen before they're shipped, and it's the same with al export Habanos. The only time things can get sketchy on the later is if a BOTL buys gray market, since you don't know i they come direct from CUba. The not for expert sticks aren't frozen.

I only keep about 20 stiicks at a time and all New World in cello. So even if i had an outbreak, the damage would be minimal. Thought if a person has 100 or more, it would be good to freeze.
Let me ask you a question.. have you seen the cars in Cuba? What makes you think their freezers are post 1960 and not running on diesel?

When you get beetles you'll regret not freezing. There's hundreds of threads here on why you should freeze cigars. Ignore them at your own risk..

Coming from a guy who had the thought process of...

I keep my temp below 65į.
I keep my RH at 61%.
no need to freeze..

The beetles SHOW UP hatched and feeding. So there goes your "they freeze em for us, theory". Had a box eaten and a couple in my cabinet chewed on.. so I learned my lesson and try to pass it on to others that'll listen.

Most of us have several thousands invested in cigars. It only takes one lapse in judgement to ruin decades of collecting. So again, freeze, don't freeze. I really don't care.
But NOTHING goes in my Tupperware or my cabinet before it gets a few days in the freezer..

If my sainted mother gave me a fiver she bought from the Pope, they're still getting tossed in the freezer.

Sent from ... hey Jon, where's my damn sandwich

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #6 of 36 Old 11-14-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post
Let me ask you a question.. have you seen the cars in Cuba? What makes you think their freezers are post 1960 and not running on diesel?

When you get beetles you'll regret not freezing. There's hundreds of threads here on why you should freeze cigars. Ignore them at your own risk..

Coming from a guy who had the thought process of...

I keep my temp below 65į.
I keep my RH at 61%.
no need to freeze..

The beetles SHOW UP hatched and feeding. So there goes your "they freeze em for us, theory". Had a box eaten and a couple in my cabinet chewed on.. so I learned my lesson and try to pass it on to others that'll listen.

Most of us have several thousands invested in cigars. It only takes one lapse in judgement to ruin decades of collecting. So again, freeze, don't freeze. I really don't care.
But NOTHING goes in my Tupperware or my cabinet before it gets a few days in the freezer..

If my sainted mother gave me a fiver she bought from the Pope, they're still getting tossed in the freezer.

Sent from ... hey Jon, where's my damn sandwich
Reading your post and then seeing your signature from a Carlin routine, there is a symmetry. :-) Thanks for the very circumspect explanation. I have a friend who had an experience similar to what you outline, and he too now freezes everything he gets.
UBC03 likes this.
post #7 of 36 Old 11-14-2019, 12:15 PM
Just monkeyin' around!

Quote:

Have you explored and read the forum? Freezing has been covered ad nauseam. If you're asking for advice, it's one thing. But if you opened a new thread to preach, it is redundant and completely unnecessary.

Also, please reserve the discussion of Cuban cigars for the Habanos sub-forum. While a certain amount of leeway is allowed in General Cigar Discussion, details belong in Habanos, and only in Habanos.
CloakedInSmoke likes this.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
post #8 of 36 Old 11-14-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonista View Post
Have you explored and read the forum? Freezing has been covered ad nauseam. If you're asking for advice, it's one thing. But if you opened a new thread to preach, it is redundant and completely unnecessary.

Also, please reserve the discussion of Cuban cigars for the Habanos sub-forum. While a certain amount of leeway is allowed in General Cigar Discussion, details belong in Habanos, and only in Habanos.
I'm new here, so I didn't know that. I was just trying to have a bit of fun, which I thought was apparent from the attached image Sorry, if I have overstepped. Do you want me to delete this thread?
post #9 of 36 Old 11-14-2019, 12:22 PM
One of the a-holes

My mailbox does a fine job until late April.

Blue Lives Matter
post #10 of 36 Old 11-14-2019, 12:22 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

Quote:

Hereís the thing, NOT ALL cigars are frozen at the factory. Itís true that most are but then they are put into a container with thousands of other cigars that may or may not have been treated, then that container gets to sit in customs for no telling how long, thereís only a few distributors in the country so no matter who you end up buying from they still came from a central warehouse. Every one one of these points is another chance that the treated cigars can be reinfected.
I havenít been able to find out for sure the eggs can lay dormant so Iím not comfortable with a quarantine program.
lpferrante likes this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page