Cigars most associated with a particular flavor - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Newbie in the ocean

Cigars most associated with a particular flavor

Have you smoked any cigars where one flavor really dominates? I'm a newbie still trying to learn flavors, and I would find it helpful to try a few sticks that are unmistakably coffee, or unmistakably cedar, or unmistakably whatever else. I don't really mind if they aren't the best smokes - I just want some practice recognizing flavors. Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 08:33 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

redacted

"Kerosene is fuel Brian, Red Bull is fuel. Kerosene is Red Bull." ~ Peter Griffin
post #3 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 08:35 PM

I don't think I've had any that totally dominate with one flavor, some profiles more than others though. Check out these links. The vendor has samplers that spotlight specific flavors.

"https://www.smallbatchcigar.com/develop-your-palate-iconic-tasting-notes"

"https://www.smallbatchcigar.com/develop-your-palate-iconic-cigars-for-classic-tasting-notes-part-ii"

"https://www.smallbatchcigar.com/develop-your-palate-iconic-cigars-for-classic-tasting-notes-vol-3"

"https://www.smallbatchcigar.com/develop-your-palate-iconic-cigars-for-classic-tasting-notes-4"
lex61, mpomario and Mich_smoker like this.

"Kerosene is fuel Brian, Red Bull is fuel. Kerosene is Red Bull." ~ Peter Griffin

post #4 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 09:21 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

sorry man...i am still at the stage of...great, meh and hell no
OldGringo, Rondo, TCstr8 and 3 others like this.

Tact is for people who arenít witty enough to use sarcasm...
post #5 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 10:13 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Two cigars come to mind for me that have very distinct flavors that you can pick up on easily.

Espinosa Laranja strong citrus notes
Beer pong by Cfed.......beer

Both had flavors that were impossible to miss IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happens in the hot tub stays in the hot tub...... until you change the water.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 10:19 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Most great cigars are Full bodied meaning a lot of complexity, the strength can actually be mild, medium or full but does not always go hand in hand. A lot of smokers like full bodied, full strength here. The strength is more related to the Vit N. content.

On occasion I enjoy doing a review and thatís when I really focus and more able to pick up the complexity, flavors, nuances the tobacco displays. It starts from examining the cigar, smelling the cigar, cold draw flavors, first light and usually graded in 3rdís. I usually enjoy the last third the most and to the nub. Retrohale is important in order to pick up the flavors.

Check out the cigar wheel, it will give you an idea of the most per dominate flavors to expect. Bottom line is not every palette will be able to detect all the flavors the blend will produce. One persons review will be different that another person. The main thing is relax and enjoy by slow puffs one per minute or even less, chew the smoke and entertain the experience.

I have smoked a few cigars that are on the cheaper side with not hardly any complexity but still was a good smoke especially at the price point. Iím by no means an Aficionado but enjoy the journey! Now let the journey begin!!

US Army Veteran 1974-1985
post #7 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Newbie in the ocean

Those links are exactly what I need. Thanks so much. Still interested to hear other people’s replies if you have them, though.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 10:51 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwool View Post
Have you smoked any cigars where one flavor really dominates? I'm a newbie still trying to learn flavors, and I would find it helpful to try a few sticks that are unmistakably coffee, or unmistakably cedar, or unmistakably whatever else. I don't really mind if they aren't the best smokes - I just want some practice recognizing flavors. Thanks for any suggestions!

So, in my experience..With you just starting out you aren't likely to pick up on more subtle flavors that may be present in cigars. Often when you hear "coffee, chocolate, leather, some various nuttiness" and things like that, they won't inherently stand out as a dominate flavor. It will probably take a fair amount of time, and over time going back to the same cigar at different stages/sizes/and ages to pick up some of those nuanced tastes.

There are options. Some infused cigars will be stronger in offering some flavor profiles. You can find numerous of the type dedicated to coffee flavoring. Drew Estates offers the Java, Java Mint and Java Red lines. They used to be easy to find in abundance for pretty cheap.

Tabak Especial is another coffee infused from Drew Estate. Nub offers some coffee infused lines as well.. The problem is, these won't help you pick out those flavors in non-infused cigars any easier, probably. It's going to come with time, experience..and mostly, if your palate can do it.

I used to keep a notebook, and self review every cigar I smoked. After some time, go back to it and do another review on it. Compare what you find. You generally start by noticing a few stronger flavors, in different strengths, across almost all cigars.

Some will present a cedar/wood flavor. As you find more with this, you'll be able to tell slight differences in the flavor present. This may also come along with a flavor you may recognize as sort of grassy, earthy or ..well, to start plainly..various levels of a dirt kind of taste. (Not in a bad way, more like the smell of damp or wet tilled soil.) Hay can be present. I usually pick these flavors up in Arturo Fuente cigars, but that may just me. I can say I have not smoked many of the brand. Not that they are bad, just weren't my particular wheelhouse. Others with more Fuente experience may be able to school us on my mistaken take.

Pepper will be prevalent, strong cigars more so than lighter/Connecticut blends. You'll eventually differentiate between pepper levels and types, and a flavor of a general spice - not pepper itself.

Tatuaje has always offered me a smooth blend of spice and pepper, without being over powering in the regards. Some of the blends really kick up a leather flavor, and some earthy tobacco profiles. You can get some wood tones, but they are usually darker and not as strong as cedar presents itself in some flavors.

Learning some proper retrohale techniques can definitely help with the pepper learning aspect. You'll get it in almost every cigar that way, some just way stronger than others.
zcziggy likes this.

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion..
between supposed lovers, between supposed brothers.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-27-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwool View Post
Those links are exactly what I need. Thanks so much. Still interested to hear other peopleís replies if you have them, though.
I had a Drew Estate Undercrown Sungrown that tasted like sun dried tomatoes. The Vudu Dark No. 13 has a double dark chocolate taste to it as the main profile. The Ezra Zion Jamais Vu was mostly all cookie dough flavor for me. The Blk Wks Killer Bee Connecticut has some pepper to start, then creamy with a little pop to it. Hope this helps.

post #10 of 11 Old 01-28-2020, 04:36 AM
Full grown Puffer Fish

I been smoking cigars about 6 years or so and I still can't find alot of flavors most ppl describe

More cigars = less stress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in