Need Fish advice...the pet kind not food... - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-29-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
No longer a community member.

Need Fish advice...the pet kind not food...

Ok I was given a complete freshwater tank over the weekend..established with a 8-10 inch pleco and 5-7 4-6 inch gold fish...I want a Oscar and a local shop has a couple white and pink oscars that are about 6 inches...tank is 55-60 gallons so...how long lill the oscar will try to eat the goldfish???

any ideas or suggestions???

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

Re: Need Fish advice...the pet kind not food...

Youre tank is too small for the fish you have, see if your local pet store will take the in trade if not dump them in your local pond and start over. you have to be sure that the fish you get can survive in the same ph lvl. start with angel fish and tinfoil barbs and some type of bottom feeder but drain tank first. see if there is a non toxic cleaner for the glass and use natural stones and plants it a fun hobby ive havent had 1 for years any ?s ask
post #3 of 5 Old 08-29-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

this tank has been cleaned and all the water replaced and the fish made the move friday with no issues..

why do you say its too small for the fish I have now in it..they have been in there for a couple yrs now with no issue..

This isnt my 1st tank and maintained a lion fish in a 35 gal tall for almost a yr before my ex wife killed it and was told then it wouldn't survive in that small of a tank..and it did..took alot more work then if I had a long tank..

I know the oscar will eat the gold fish..and I know that I wont be able to have more than one in the 55 gallon tank..i was just looking for anyone's thoughts on how long the goldfish would last with the oscar only being a lil bigger then them..

I dont mean to come off as a dick (i do come off that way quite a bit) I just been thinking that now that I have a big enough tank to have something that will eat live food and I am not going back to salt water till i have my own house again..too much work!

will try to get some pics of the tank before the move this eve.

Shawn

post #4 of 5 Old 08-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

The reason im saying the tank is too small is the fish will not out grow their enviroment, kinda a built in survival mech. Oscars are not like piranas and only eat what fits in their mouth. More likely than not the existing fish will kill the Oscar over territory. Theyll nip at it pulling of its scales until it dies. The whole enjoyment IMO is watching your fish grow and caring for them, not just throwing some food in to the same fish every day. a 55gal is it tall or long??? you can enjoy the feeding frenzy in satges with young fish ie brine shrimp, then to guppies then to small goldfish as you go along youll need to invest in a feeder tank to save $ on feeder fish by buying by the hundred. ok nuff said for now I could keep going but dont want to be a blabber
post #5 of 5 Old 08-29-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob51461 View Post
The reason im saying the tank is too small is the fish will not out grow their enviroment, kinda a built in survival mech. Oscars are not like piranas and only eat what fits in their mouth. More likely than not the existing fish will kill the Oscar over territory. Theyll nip at it pulling of its scales until it dies. The whole enjoyment IMO is watching your fish grow and caring for them, not just throwing some food in to the same fish every day. a 55gal is it tall or long??? you can enjoy the feeding frenzy in satges with young fish ie brine shrimp, then to guppies then to small goldfish as you go along youll need to invest in a feeder tank to save $ on feeder fish by buying by the hundred. ok nuff said for now I could keep going but dont want to be a blabber

No THANK YOU..I do better with an explanation of somebodies opinion!!

I dont care for the gold fish....but I am not one just to flush them ( I work for a sewer plant and couldnt handle seeing them end up here and thats my luck..lol) and nobody round me wants them.

I figured that with the oscar being the the bigger of the fish the golds would leave it alone until it was bigger and could deal with them on its own..LOL.

Its a 55 long.

Your not a blabber at all..like I said I liked the salt tank I had and the lion was a blast till my ex decided he was lonely and got a puffer which the lion ate the tail and died and the puffer died from lack of tail..

I completely agree about no fun just throwing food to the same thing..thats why the white oscar caught my eye and that it grows pretty quick and the kids can watch it eat live food..

might be time to go back to the drawing board..or just make the golds disappear and start over..the tank looks great and took forever to clean since the previous owner let it go..

And I know as with any hobby there are different opinions on everything..lol..cello on or off...65 or 70....LOL

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
advicethe, fish, food, kind, pet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page