WWII Tour - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-20-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

WWII Tour

Wife and I are planning a trip to Europe to follow the path of the allied troops from D-Day landing all the way to Berlin. Anyone ever do a trip like this? Probably leave may or June of next year. Battle of the Bulge, and NUTZ, ETC.

We don't want to do a group thing. We want to maybe hire a guide a few days and plan it accordingly.
Piper, Dran and zcziggy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
Wife and I are planning a trip to Europe to follow the path of the allied troops from D-Day landing all the way to Berlin. Anyone ever do a trip like this? Probably leave may or June of next year. Battle of the Bulge, and NUTZ, ETC.

We don't want to do a group thing. We want to maybe hire a guide a few days and plan it accordingly.
Sounds like an incredible trip. Of course, you should leave on June 6th! Post pics. Would be interesting to follow your progress.
JDom58, ForMud and Calidecks like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-20-2019, 10:59 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post

Sounds very cool. I think @Cigary was there on the original D-Day.
Sorry Gary, J/K
Cigary, Piper, JDom58 and 3 others like this.

Go Ducks!

post #4 of 11 Old 06-20-2019, 11:59 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey's Ghost View Post
Sounds very cool. I think @Cigary was there on the original D-Day.
Sorry Gary, J/K
Tried to convince Eisenhower to invade 2 days earlier when the weather was much better on my birthday...but nooooooo... let's invade when the weather was terrible. Even Patton agreed with me.....ahhhh....those were the days! 🤐

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
post #5 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Leading Puffer Fish

I heard is an incredible tour, you will enjoy it
Cigary, JDom58 and Calidecks like this.

Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm...
post #6 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 09:36 AM
Director of Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcziggy View Post
I heard is an incredible tour, you will enjoy it
And emotional.....it will humble you in ways I never thought. Spend at least a couple of days there as the towns people will treat you well if they know you are American. Walking the beach with a cigar for a couple of hours...emotionally draining but one of the best experiences of my life.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 05:29 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

I've never done anything like that, but it sounds like a great trip. I would love to do something similar in the future.
Cigary likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 07:01 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrfoxx2 View Post
I've never done anything like that, but it sounds like a great trip. I would love to do something similar in the future.
A lot of folks think that this kind of trip is expensive....it's not. The best time to do this is between late Sep. and middle December when the A/F is pretty good. My wife and I coordinate a TransAtlantic Cruise and we fly over one way and cruise back.
Cost: A/F less than $1000 total arranged thru Easy Fare on the Cruise Line where it's half off.

Cruise right now thru Holland America......$2000 total for a 13 night TransAtlantic in a balcony cabin with a $175 credit redeemable onboard the ship. ( not p/p but total with all taxes and fees ) even less if you book inside or ocean view cabin ) A ot of people spend this much for a week in Vegas....

Trains are cheap from most areas to Normandy ( Paris or Marseille )....$25 p/p and whatever hotel you stay in Normandy....Caen....etc. Total cost for that is maybe $300 but for the price ..... everything out the door.....less than $4K for a vacation of a lifetime.....even less if you don't cruise but with the cruise your meals are included along with everything else. We've sailed on HAL....it's highly rated ship and for 13 nights you're treated like a king.....the ship is called the Koningsdam ( Google the reviews )

post #9 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 07:01 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Location: Massachusetts and Grand Cayman Island depending on the weather

My dad was a bazookaman in the infantry in the Battle of the Bulge (Battle of the Ardennes), the battle at Colmar Pocket, and the battle of the Rhine (Siegfried Line Campaign). I went over a few years ago to try to trace some of his journey. We were able to see some of the towns he fought through (of course they are rebuilt today) and also visited a couple of war museums, cemeteries, and got to talk to a few of the older folk who were there during the war and were very appreciative. A very moving experience. I have his army boots sitting on a shelf in front of me. He told me never to clean them, as they had the dirt from all of his campaigns and battles on them.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 07:11 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi000ke View Post
My dad was a bazookaman in the infantry in the Battle of the Bulge (Battle of the Ardennes), the battle at Colmar Pocket, and the battle of the Rhine (Siegfried Line Campaign). I went over a few years ago to try to trace some of his journey. We were able to see some of the towns he fought through (of course they are rebuilt today) and also visited a couple of war museums, cemeteries, and got to talk to a few of the older folk who were there during the war and were very appreciative. A very moving experience. I have his army boots sitting on a shelf in front of me. He told me never to clean them, as they had the dirt from all of his campaigns and battles on them.
Very cool tribute to your Dad and one day I will do what you did and visit those areas plus Switzerland. My Dad fought in the Pacific...Leyte Gulf under Clifton Sprague.....Battle of Samar ( Badass - Battle off Samar ) where he was a 20mm gunner off the fantail on the USS Heermann ....Destroyer X the Japanese called it....amazing story of their exploits.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page