Does light hurt tobacco? - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Does light hurt tobacco?

Ok, so I just got my order of 8oz of Stonehaven today and immediately opened it up and stuck it in a glass bail jar. The bookshelf that I have co-opted for my pipes and tobacco is located in the entry way of my house and there is a lot of light flooding in from windows and glass of the front door. So my question is, will all this light affect the tobacco? There is isn't much of a temperature difference between this part and any other part of my house and there is never any direct sunlight shining on the jar...it's just that it lives in a well-lit room during the day.

On a related note, I don't smoke all that much...maybe 1 bowl a few times a week. Needless to say, it'll take me a pretty good while to burn through all 8oz of the stuff, especially since it's not the ONLY stuff I'll be smoking. Would opening the jar to fill a bowl from time to time interfere with the aging process? Should I just divide the whole lot in two separate jars, one jar for aging and the other for smoking in the meantime?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Re: Does light hurt tobacco?

I remembering being told to store my jars in a cool, dark place, but I don't know anything about the effect of light on tobacco.

Opening the jar can definitely interfere with the aging process. It is not something I am concerned about now because I am not actually trying to age anything at the moment. If you definitely want to have properly aged tobacco in the future, then divide the lot up like you said.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Heavy Puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.Kramer View Post
I remembering being told to store my jars in a cool, dark place, but I don't know anything about the effect of light on tobacco.

Opening the jar can definitely interfere with the aging process. It is not something I am concerned about now because I am not actually trying to age anything at the moment. If you definitely want to have properly aged tobacco in the future, then divide the lot up like you said.
+1

If you want it to age, put it in a cool, dark place & leave it alone. I'd suggest dividing it into at least 4 jars, that way you can open 1 at a time, since opening a jar interrupts the aging process.

P.S. I've heard that Stonehaven only gets better!

“While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

post #4 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

Yes, light is bad for tobacco. Keep your jars in a dark cabinet or closet for long term storage.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Lord Fugu

I don't know what effects light has on tobacco, other than changing the color. You can see it this effect by on a cigar that's been on display for a long time. When you take the band off, you can see the tobacco underneath it is significantly carker then the rest of it. So yes, light affects tobacco. Does actually do any harm? I can't answer that one, but I suspect it does.

For all the kids who'd rather flame than talk, I refuse to post.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-24-2010, 11:42 AM
he that puffeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_day View Post
I don't know what effects light has on tobacco, other than changing the color. You can see it this effect by on a cigar that's been on display for a long time. When you take the band off, you can see the tobacco underneath it is significantly carker then the rest of it. So yes, light affects tobacco. Does actually do any harm? I can't answer that one, but I suspect it does.
Probably the temperature variance (sunlight falling on one side will warm it more than the other side) for cigars; something similar for pipe baccy with one side of the jar warming more than the other? Maybe the UV kills the aging "microbes"? Who knows ... but I wouldn't want to risk losing a jar of Stonehaven to a few runaway photons! All my jars are in a dark vault deep underground (true "cellar")

Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
--
Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM
CWL
Dastardly Scoundrel

I'm pretty-sure that prolonged exposure to sunlight will harm just about anything. UVs will probably do something bad to the oils in the tobacco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hurt, light, tobacco

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page