Why Doesn't Gawith Hoggarth Match-Up to Samuel Gawith - Page 6 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 58 Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Young Fish

Re: Why Doesn't Gawith Hoggarth Match-Up to Samuel Gawith

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
Y'all,

Yes, there's no SG left to be found in any quantity in North America, but why is it that there is still plenty of GH around?

I'll admit that I haven't taken-up the briar for very long, but it seems to me that many of the mixtures that GH sells are almost the "spittin' image" of what SG sells, yet there isn't as great a demand for it.

Is SH really THAT much better, or are we just a bunch of lemmings and chase after tobaccos that are in fashion at the moment?
The problem for many of us is that a very large number of GH blends - Glengarry, Sam's Choc etc. etc. have a taste that someone on tobacco reviews described as like a particular brand of antiseptic cream (That's exactly the taste I get too). My guess is that this arises from the curing process of one of the tobaccos that GH use in many of their blends; and it's just not that pleasant, although some people don't seem to notice or perhaps like that taste.

On the other hand no SG blends have this distinctive taste and as well as the renowned full virginia flake, they also have some good english mixtures and latakia flakes (eg Navy Flake, Chocolate flake) that aren't over flavoured - they neither taste of antiseptic cream or of any mythical lakeland floral essence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 Old 10-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Sot-weed Bohemian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEnormous View Post
. . .do a G&H search for for blends with "none" in the "Flavoring" category.
It's great idea, but I couldn't find "none" as an option. There's "Other/Misc", but that catchall doesn't seem to include "none". Maybe "none" of the GH&Co. line has "none", so they spare you the grief?

Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney
post #53 of 58 Old 10-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Young Fish

One G&H blend that's worth trying if you like virginia flakes is their Bright CR flake. It does to my palette have a faint memory of the antiseptic taste, but in moderation that's not so bad and it has a uniquely mellow taste without the bitter sharpness that some virginias have to a greater or lesser extent.

post #54 of 58 Old 10-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Sot-weed Bohemian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roqsan View Post
One G&H blend that's worth trying if you like virginia flakes is their Bright CR flake. It does to my palette have a faint memory of the antiseptic taste, but in moderation that's not so bad and it has a uniquely mellow taste without the bitter sharpness that some virginias have to a greater or lesser extent.
One of the "scented" versions that doesn't seem very "Lakelandish" is Scotch Flake Aromatic/Scented. (I assume A/S are the same.) It certainly isn't an aromatic in the American sense -- the room note is just that nasty tobacco smell -- and no "old lady scented candles" stuff, either. In my mind at least, it's those heliotrope, rose, musk and suchlike weird additives that make for "Lakeland", not the more ordinary things that some people merely don't like, say anise and tonkin bean. Scotch Flake Aromatic is like Bob's Chocolate Flake with the Latakia replaced by an extra helping of chocolate, one of my favorite tobaks.

Plain Scotch Flake is very nice as well.

post #55 of 58 Old 10-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Young Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
One of the "scented" versions that doesn't seem very "Lakelandish" is Scotch Flake Aromatic/Scented. (I assume A/S are the same.) It certainly isn't an aromatic in the American sense -- the room note is just that nasty tobacco smell -- and no "old lady scented candles" stuff, either. In my mind at least, it's those heliotrope, rose, musk and suchlike weird additives that make for "Lakeland", not the more ordinary things that some people merely don't like, say anise and tonkin bean. Scotch Flake Aromatic is like Bob's Chocolate Flake with the Latakia replaced by an extra helping of chocolate, one of my favorite tobaks.

Plain Scotch Flake is very nice as well.
Don't think I've tried that one - I'll have to give it go, nasty tobacco smell is exactly what I like owboyic9:, but no :anim_soapbox:!
post #56 of 58 Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Newbie in the ocean

Doc,
Thanks for setting me straight on G & H similar to Samuel Gawith 1792. Got some Dark Flake Scented and it is close. Had the chance to get some 1792 and compare. Somewhat close.
Your info was great because I love the 1792 and as you know it is not always easy to get. At least now I have something to fall back on and G & H is usually available.
Thanks so much Doc!
post #57 of 58 Old 10-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Sot-weed Bohemian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBasil View Post
Doc,
Thanks for setting me straight on G & H similar to Samuel Gawith 1792. Got some Dark Flake Scented and it is close.
I'm surprised. I would have thought the "scented" would have been more along the lines of Brown Flake Scented, which inches toward the Ennerdale side of G&H. Guess it's like the Scotch Flake Scented/Aromatic, not much Lakeland at all.

Roqsan notes, "On the other hand no SG blends have this distinctive taste..." Interesting. I wonder why they call it Lakeland, then. Seems they'd simply call it Hoggarth! Roqsan also offers, "My guess is that this arises from the curing process of one of the tobaccos that GH use in many of their blends." I don't think so. The scent of Ennerdale is not an accidental byproduct of fermentation, it's perfume. The British put it in their candy, too. :eek: Powerful, though, and I suspect it gets on the equipment and permeates the working areas, ghosting other blends that are processed in the same area to a greater or lesser degree. Since Ennerdale is their most popular blend, there's no doubt plenty of that smell to go around.

post #58 of 58 Old 10-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Young Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
Roqsan also offers, "My guess is that this arises from the curing process of one of the tobaccos that GH use in many of their blends." I don't think so. The scent of Ennerdale is not an accidental byproduct of fermentation, it's perfume. The British put it in their candy, too. :eek: Powerful, though, and I suspect it gets on the equipment and permeates the working areas, ghosting other blends that are processed in the same area to a greater or lesser degree. Since Ennerdale is their most popular blend, there's no doubt plenty of that smell to go around.
Well I agree that many individual tobaccos from both G&H and SG are most certainly scented with various **different** substances of a more or less sinister nature . That's clear.

What I was trying to say though is that many G&H blends have, in addition to whatever flavouring or scent they might add to individual blends, a common underlying base flavour. Since this subtle concept has been confusing to many here is a food example: All curries have a common base flavour, but you can add additional top flavourings (or perrfumes)... Actually just about the right time to give that a try - if I can find the ingredients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gawith, hoggarth, matchup, samuel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page