Murrays Standard Mixture Mellow? - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Re: Murrays Standard Mixture Mellow?

This is the Murrays version. The real mcCoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 03:03 PM

Very curious, indeed. The e-bay tin reads "made in the UK" (which should mean Murray), but the mellow designation is more recent (which should mean Orlik).

The warning label is from Spain, where I usually buy several tobaccos. Although I never bought SM Mellow (but I've seen it there), I have several spanish tins of SM Medium... similar warning, "made in EU" on the label.
post #13 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Very curious, indeed. The e-bay tin reads "made in the UK" (which should mean Murray), but the mellow designation is more recent (which should mean Orlik).
I would almost guarantee that this is a fraud. I saved his image and zoomed way in in Photoshop. When you do so you can see that the periods that follow U and K are not as precisely positioned as they should be. Notice how the period following the U is a little to close to the K and how it is slightly too high from the baseline of the rest of the text and the U itself. It's a pretty good job, but not perfect. I'm betting he Photoshopped it and replaced EU with UK. Just my 2 cents. What boggles the mind was that he left that huge, recent warning label on the tin.

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

post #14 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
I would almost guarantee that this is a fraud. I saved his image and zoomed way in in Photoshop. When you do so you can see that the periods that follow U and K are not as precisely positioned as they should be. I'm betting he Photoshopped it and replaced EU with UK. Just my 2 cents. What boggles the mind was that he left that huge, recent warning label on the tin.
I don't think warning labels are that recent in Spain, at least in Portugal they've exist for about 10 years (and probably the same in Spain).
What's no doubt recent is the "mellow" instead of "mild" designation. I think it occured somewhere in late 2008...

Mellow + UK made = fraud ?? (I think so).
post #15 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I don't think warning labels are that recent in Spain, at least in Portugal they've exist for about 10 years (and probably the same in Spain).
What's no doubt recent is the "mellow" instead of "mild" designation. I think it occured somewhere in late 2008...

Mellow + UK made = fraud ?? (I think so).
That's interesting. I did not know that. It's a shame that you've had to endure those labels ruining your tin art for all those years. I know I'm a bit weird in this respect, but one of the things I like about pipe tobacco is the tin art. I'm glad we don't have them here (yet.) You are certainly right though, no way it would say mellow. I'm almost certain the law saying you couldn't use the work mild was only enacted two to three years ago. And the more I look at the zoomed in image I'm sure the UK was Photoshopped. One can also see how the K ever so slightly canted downwards towards the right.

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck
post #16 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 04:41 PM

I'm now looking at one of my Standard Mixture (not mellow) tins bough in Spain in June 2009.

The warning labels size has been increasing with time. More recent tins from Spain bough in late 2010 show the warning taking 50% of the label.
However, the warning in my 2009 tins only takes 33% of the label.
I can't say how it was before.
However, a old Murray's tin with the warning taking 50% of the label in another reason to rate it suspect...

Also, the warning on my 2009 and 2010 tins (more than 40 tins, from various brands) are a little different.

- "Las Autoridades Sanitarias advierten:" - notice the capital A (in Autoridades), capital S in Sanitarias, and the : after advierten, which is missing on the suspect tin...

- "Fumar perjudica gravemente su salud y la de los que están su alrededor" - notice "están su alrededor" and not "están a su alrededor"

PS - this "a su alrededor" is on all the 2010 tins I own, but not on the 2009 tins.

My conclusion: the suspect tin is from 2010, the "U.K." being photoshoped, as Indigo states.
post #17 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Ask me why I dinged Black

Looks like liar-liar, doesn't it?

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"
post #18 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM
FNSH Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Looks like liar-liar, doesn't it?
Definitely not a Murray tin. I don't know about the counterfit vs. just lying side of the argument though. I wish the seller would have included a pic of the back side of the tin. This counterfit BS is a side of these crappy stick on tin labels I hadn't even thought about. I don't know what I think about all that just yet. It sure will be nice if we have to start worrying about our pipe tobacco being fugazi. I can see it now...."Is this tin legit" threads popping up every other day in the Pipe Forum.

But real men--real men prefer their women like pipes. They knock them gently and care for them always. No man shares his pipes!!!
post #19 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
That's interesting. I did not know that. It's a shame that you've had to endure those labels ruining your tin art for all those years. I know I'm a bit weird in this respect, but one of the things I like about pipe tobacco is the tin art. I'm glad we don't have them here (yet.) You are certainly right though, no way it would say mellow. I'm almost certain the law saying you couldn't use the work mild was only enacted two to three years ago. And the more I look at the zoomed in image I'm sure the UK was Photoshopped. One can also see how the K ever so slightly canted downwards towards the right.
I've been doing a little digging myself.

The first country to ban Light and Mild was Brazil in Jan 2001. Europe followed about 2003. Murrays closed in late 2004 and production shifted to Orlik in 2005. So it appears Murrays didn't waste any time changing from Mild to Mellow.

It took Orlik until the summer of 2007 to use up all the Murrays stuff and that's when they actually started blending it themselves.

I just thought it was odd that nobody seems to have seen one like it with all the Dunhills that have been sold on eBay.
post #20 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 PM
FNSH Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesmary View Post
I've been doing a little digging myself.

The first country to ban Light and Mild was Brazil in Jan 2001. Europe followed about 2003. Murrays closed in late 2004 and production shifted to Orlik in 2005. So it appears Murrays didn't waste any time changing from Mild to Mellow.

It took Orlik until the summer of 2007 to use up all the Murrays stuff and that's when they actually started blending it themselves.

I just thought it was odd that nobody seems to have seen one like it with all the Dunhills that have been sold on eBay.
So, if I understand you correctly, your saying that you believe this is an authentic Murray's tin? Also, where did you come up with the information in the sentence I bolded?

But real men--real men prefer their women like pipes. They knock them gently and care for them always. No man shares his pipes!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mellow, mixture, murrays, standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page