Murrays Standard Mixture Mellow? - Page 4 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 02-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Re: Murrays Standard Mixture Mellow?

Cammon, I can't even imagine any kind of wierd story that would back that tin as legit...
Everything, except the "made in UK" mention, looks like a Orlik made in 2010 tin.

The term "mellow" is consistent with Orlik made.
The warning label (the entire front label design, actually) is consistent with 2010.
The back label reads "made in EU"
how the hell can the front label read "made in UK"???

Maybe the ebay seller was dooped himself...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 02-03-2011, 04:08 PM
FNSH Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesmary View Post
Thanks Chad for putting the link for the Ottawa Pipe Club.

I want to believe the seller. It seems like a lot of work to fake it for the few dollars involved.

I've never had the original Dunhills or the Murrays so I can't comment on the taste. But I've just opened a new London Mixture and Standard Mixture. Both look identical, dark brown, brown and lots of yellow brown pieces, same moisture level. More importantly they taste great and I can't taste any difference between the two. I think they will age beautifully.

I will be smoking these regularly and can't see paying any premiums for Murray tins.
No problem adding the link. It was a very good one and needed to be here. I've done some more reading and looking around on that site today and it sure is a good one. Wish they had even more info posted. I don't see Murray tins being worth nearly the money they bring now either. I think a slight increase due to age more than any difference in product is acceptable and makes sense. That's the main reason I learned so much about the Murray's tins several years ago was so I could pick the B&M's over and be sure if I was buying I was buying the older tins out of the available stock. The only exception may be the ones that either aren't made or aren't distributed to the U.S. anymore IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Maybe the ebay seller was dooped himself...
This is what I think after reading the response to your email and he has answered a question/accusation sent to him within the listing as well. I think the seller most likely believes what he is saying and has been mislead by the B&M he refrences buying the tin from. With a few notable exceptions most the guys working in these places don't really know squat about the products they're pushing. At least, that seems to be the case in the U.S.

Anybody with new tins of Dunhill in the U.S. able to enlighten as to what they say on the front for "Made in" now. I've not paid any attention to them really yet. Unless Elizabethan Mixture shows up again I'll be able to control myself over the big return of Dunhill. Glad to see it back because it's good for the community as a whole though and gives a lot of folks a chance at trying something new.

But real men--real men prefer their women like pipes. They knock them gently and care for them always. No man shares his pipes!!!
post #33 of 48 Old 02-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag View Post
I don't see Murray tins being worth nearly the money they bring now either. I think a slight increase due to age more than any difference in product is acceptable and makes sense.
I agree. I've seen Murray's tins going for outrageous prices. That's why on my auction (shameless plug alert!) I put an opening bid of $20, with a buy-it-now of $35 (DUNHILL - SEALED MURRAYS ERA - Standard Mixture Mild! - eBay (item 250765527945 end time Feb-05-11 12:43:04 PST)). If people want to drive up the price beyond that they're welcome to, but I think it had better be something pretty rare to command much more than that, like a royal warrant era Dunhill tin from the 80s or earlier.

post #34 of 48 Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Ask me why I dinged Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Very curious, indeed. The e-bay tin reads "made in the UK" (which should mean Murray), but the mellow designation is more recent (which should mean Orlik).

The warning label is from Spain, where I usually buy several tobaccos. Although I never bought SM Mellow (but I've seen it there), I have several spanish tins of SM Medium... similar warning, "made in EU" on the label.
the packing code on the back of the tin was 2006.

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"
post #35 of 48 Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 PM
FNSH Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
the packing code on the back of the tin was 2006.
I assume you're referring to the small numbers to the right of the bar code?

But real men--real men prefer their women like pipes. They knock them gently and care for them always. No man shares his pipes!!!
post #36 of 48 Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 PM

I wrote the seller again:

"Dear sir,

thank you for your reply.
However, I'm even more confused now...
the front label reads "manufactured in the UK"
while the back label reads "manufactured in EU"
It honestly doesn't seem like a Murray's tin.
Best regards"

----------
his answer:

"Hello sir,
You're right, I have not seen the small letter where says Manufactured in the EU.
I prefers to stop the auction, because I not yet sure about the article... But the EAN identifier said it was made by Bat...
Thank you for your kindness"

ps- do you boys think I should invite him over here? He seems to be in good faith, although if he's not we could just be suplying information to a bad seller...
post #37 of 48 Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Absolutely Gustavo. I've been lurking this thread and it seems the guy has just been mislead.

I just looked at my tin of Standard Medium. It has the old Murray front and says U.K. on the front but on the back it says EU. Very interesting. I bought this at a B&M last year before it was available again in the US. It was old and dusty. There were 2 tins of Medium and one of Mild.

So I'm figuring mine is probably tinned by Orlik with the leftover tins from the move from Murrays. This guy may have one of the Orlik tins and may still have Murrays tobacco that was left over. This is all conjecture after reading the article that Chad posted from that pipe club. Great article BTW.

It was.....well, let's just say it was.
post #38 of 48 Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owaindav View Post

I just looked at my tin of Standard Medium. It has the old Murray front and says U.K. on the front but on the back it says EU. Very interesting. I bought this at a B&M last year before it was available again in the US. It was old and dusty. There were 2 tins of Medium and one of Mild.

So I'm figuring mine is probably tinned by Orlik with the leftover tins from the move from Murrays. This guy may have one of the Orlik tins and may still have Murrays tobacco that was left over. This is all conjecture after reading the article that Chad posted from that pipe club. Great article BTW.
That's very interesting, Dave. That's the first indication the seller's tin may be legit.

Is your tin Standard Mixture Medium, or just Standard Mixture?

Could the top lids be old ones from Murray and the bottom parts be already new ones, from Orlik???
post #39 of 48 Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Perhaps it's Dunhill era leaf with the top half of the Orlik tin and the bottom half of the Murray's tin with a product label created by a Yogoslavian teen age girl as part of a school project with a warning label from Spain's colony on Mars sold to a time traveller from ancient Rome by a B&M in Roswell, NM that is run by aliens. At least that's what I'm thinking makes as much sense as anything else. If he asks for payment in aureus and denarius my suspicions will be confirmed. Seriously, this has gotten ridiculous.

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck
post #40 of 48 Old 02-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Here's pics of the front and back of my Standard and my 965. My cellar says the 965 is 3 years old.

Murrays Standard Mixture Mellow?-dunhill002.jpgMurrays Standard Mixture Mellow?-dunhill003.jpgMurrays Standard Mixture Mellow?-dunhill004.jpgMurrays Standard Mixture Mellow?-dunhill005.jpg

You be the judge.

It was.....well, let's just say it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mellow, mixture, murrays, standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page