Murrays Standard Mixture Mellow? - Page 5 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Re: Murrays Standard Mixture Mellow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by owaindav View Post
Here's pics of the front and back of my Standard and my 965. My cellar says the 965 is 3 years old.

Attachment 33721Attachment 33720Attachment 33719Attachment 33718

You be the judge.
I think the Standard mixture that you picture here with the painted Tin is Orlik using Murrays leftovers which to me is Murrays. The 965 with the Sticker is Orlik. Did Murays ever use a stickered tin? I dont think so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

I think this got to be an interesting thread.

The history and evolution of pipe tobacco manufacturers and distributors make a fascinating story. Like most collectibles there are always oddballs that skew our attempts at an orderly list.

Thank you all for your replies.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 AM
FNSH Mod

Quote:
This is all conjecture after reading the article that Chad posted from that pipe club. Great article BTW.
New guy gets credit for the linky. I just posted it in link form for him because he can't. I wish I had come up with something that organized, years ago actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Could the top lids be old ones from Murray and the bottom parts be already new ones, from Orlik???
That would be my guess. The way the tins I have came when compared with dates and the stickers on the back I'm pretty sure Orlik never made/had made painted lids. I think they immediately went the cheap and less classy route of stick-ons. Dave's bottoms are the the new Orlik style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
Perhaps it's Dunhill era leaf with the top half of the Orlik tin and the bottom half of the Murray's tin with a product label created by a Yogoslavian teen age girl as part of a school project with a warning label from Spain's colony on Mars sold to a time traveller from ancient Rome by a B&M in Roswell, NM that is run by aliens. At least that's what I'm thinking makes as much sense as anything else. If he asks for payment in aureus and denarius my suspicions will be confirmed. Seriously, this has gotten ridiculous.
Nope, definitely an Orlik bottom. Other than that I'm pretty sure this is exactly the way this went down. :biggrin:

Quote:
Here's pics of the front and back of my Standard and my 965. My cellar says the 965 is 3 years old.

Attachment 33721Attachment 33720Attachment 33719Attachment 33718

You be the judge.
Both tinned by or shipped at least from Orlik. Contents unkown at best. Since they both have Orlik bottoms and the large round sticker that covers the whole bottom they would be Orlik tins in my book. I would also guess that the standard tin wasn't sent to Orlik as a sealed tin because of the Orlik bottom. The MM965 I would highly suspect as Orlik mainly because it has no attributes found on a Murray tin at all. I would also think that the Murray blended and un-tinned contents of the big three Dunhill blends (MM965, NightCap, and Early Morning Pipe) would have ran out rather quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounds7 View Post
Did Murays ever use a stickered tin? I dont think so.
I don't think so either. If this keeps going I'm going to have to unpack my cabinets until I reach the Dunhill and see what I've got. I'd really like to take some pics of the known Murray tins to include in this thread, but they are buried way up on the top shelf, back right corner of my cabinets taking the loooooong sleep. It would be quite the chore to get to them and then pack everything away again.

But real men--real men prefer their women like pipes. They knock them gently and care for them always. No man shares his pipes!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Ask me why I dinged Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag View Post
I assume you're referring to the small numbers to the right of the bar code?
Yes - it was marked "06....." All y'all know about Dunhill date codes, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigosmoke
...Seriously, this has gotten ridiculous.
It's the cigar smoker in us. Glass top or all wooden box? Label with raised gold bumps or flat yellow dots? "Avocado" green cello or "celery" green cello? Box code PFFB7 or PFF87? Whoooooaaaa Nellie! You know what THAT means, right?!

Personally, I find this producer-transition hairsplitting unusual*, informative and helpful, Johnno. At the very least it produced an interesting web site previously unknown to me. Also, these details are what decides, down the road, if something is a $15 tin or a $150 tin. Wish all the label and code info on Dunhill and Balkan Sobranie products was all in one place.

With UK on front, EU on the back and a 2006 can code it sounds like a leftover Murray lid with nobody-knows-what packed inside. Has anyone here known of an auction of pipe tobacco with a fake label before? This would be a first in my experience. Facts misrepresented, yes. Fake label, no.

*the one who asked the question (top post) also answered the question.

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"
Old 02-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Moo,

I didn't mean it was ridiculous that you all found this interesting, whatever floats your boat. I meant it was ridiculous that it is this difficult to determine when a tin was made.

As for collectability, etc, to be honest having tried a 25 year old sample of EMP (thanks Chad) I didn't find much, if any, difference between that and the current EMP. I even figured I'd make a YT video on the differences between the two before I tried it, because with the prices the Murray production Dunhill goes for on eBay I figured there had to be a major difference. In the event, as there really was none, it would have been a very short video so it never got made. I was surprised that even the age alone hadn't changed it more. It may be different for other Dunhills, but I'll just stick with the current production. Let others spend their money as they wish, of course. If I decide to buy expensive eBay tobacco it will be Edgeworth (thanks to Chad again for getting me hooked on that stuff.)

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck
Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
Moo,

I didn't mean it was ridiculous that you all found this interesting, whatever floats your boat. I meant it was ridiculous that it is this difficult to determine when a tin was made.

As for collectability, etc, to be honest having tried a 25 year old sample of EMP (thanks Chad) I didn't find much, if any, difference between that and the current EMP. I even figured I'd make a YT video on the differences between the two before I tried it, because with the prices the Murray production Dunhill goes for on eBay I figured there had to be a major difference. In the event, as there really was none, it would have been a very short video so it never got made. I was surprised that even the age alone hadn't changed it more. It may be different for other Dunhills, but I'll just stick with the current production. Let others spend their money as they wish, of course. If I decide to buy expensive eBay tobacco it will be Edgeworth (thanks to Chad again for getting me hooked on that stuff.)
A while back I scored a tin of royal warrant era Standard Mixture Medium (i.e. tinned some time in the eighties) for $35. I was extremely fortunate to get it for that price, but even that was almost too much for me. I really wanted to try a "vintage" tobacco, though.

Now, I haven't had late era Murray's or Orlik version to which I can compare it, but as a fan of english style blends I can say it might have been the best I've ever smoked. It was everything you would expect a very well aged, storied blend of old to be.

That being said, I would never have paid more than I did for it. And concerning the discussion at hand, I certainly wouldn't be so overly concerned about whether a tin is later Murray's era or early Orlik era. If you really want Murray's era Dunhill there are still plenty to be had that can be readily identified.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:41 AM
FNSH Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Yes - it was marked "06....." All y'all know about Dunhill date codes, right?

With UK on front, EU on the back and a 2006 can code it sounds like a leftover Murray lid with nobody-knows-what packed inside. Has anyone here known of an auction of pipe tobacco with a fake label before? This would be a first in my experience. Facts misrepresented, yes. Fake label, no.
I actually know little to nothing about the newer Orlik Dunhill. When the seller posted those pics of the back of the tin I looked at those numbers and wondered if they held the same info as Escudo tins. I decided with what I know about the U.S. tins plus Gustavo's input relating to his tins and warning labels over there that there was no way this was an '06 tin and dismissed them. I've not heard any discussion about being able to date the Orlik tins this way, but if you say it works that's good enough for me. Solid, tested, tried, and true......so sayeth the Moo???

I've never heard of anything being faked in the pipe tobacco world either. I'd not really thought about it until the guys were playing with that picture.

But real men--real men prefer their women like pipes. They knock them gently and care for them always. No man shares his pipes!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Ask me why I dinged Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag View Post
...I've not heard any discussion about being able to date the Orlik tins this way, but if you say it works that's good enough for me. Solid, tested, tried, and true......so sayeth the Moo???
Honestly, Chaddle, I never paid much attention to it one way or the other but, in my basement, I'm finding Dunhill tins either inkdot- or paper label coded on the back. Inked are consistent with year (XX) followed by day (XXX) followed by single digit lot (X); labeled, I imagine, are consistent with year (XX), day (XXX) and five digit lot or other production code(s) (XXXXX).

There appears to have been an overlapping transition around 2005 from inked steel to paper label coding.

(Around the same time the lower half of the tin changed from a two-step inward draw on the press to a deep outwardly drawn ridge - I assume this was done so the tins would stack better on shelves if not to make them more rigid.)

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mellow, mixture, murrays, standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in