Murrays Standard Mixture Mellow? - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Murrays Standard Mixture Mellow?

Did Murrays really make Standard Mixture as Mellow instead of Mild?

I'm not allowed to post a link but the item # on eBay is 330525707546

I've never seen that before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Re: Murrays Standard Mixture Mellow?

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/...Product_ID=261
post #3 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 02:49 AM
FNSH Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesmary View Post

Not to my knowledge.

The name change was made due to recent laws inacted over there which prohibit the use of words like mild and light in blend names. This came along several years after all of of the Dunhill production was being handled by Orlik. Also, if not non-existant, a stick on label would be a very rare very late production Murray's tin as well I believe. Pretty sure all the Murray blended tins would have the old style painted lids that look better. Most of the clues as to the vintage of these tins are on the back of the tin. They were a different tin then. Some of the old tins did make their way to Orlik though and in the U.S. the distributor's stick on label on the back told the rest of the story. Not sure if there ever was a way to 100% tell the tins blending location during the overlap of tin styles in the EU or not.

Link to auction:

SEALED TIN DUNHILL STANDARD MIXTURE PIPE TOBACCO 50gr - eBay (item 330525707546 end time Feb-07-11 127:06 PST)

But real men--real men prefer their women like pipes. They knock them gently and care for them always. No man shares his pipes!!!

post #4 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 03:10 AM
FNSH Mod

I just went and looked at the auction some more and read the description again. My information I posted above may be wrong. I just know about the tins from 7 or 8 years ago when production switched to Orlik.

I didn't realize before that this one was from "ancient times" which are probably a little farther back than I have any knowledge of. Geesh, these Ebay auctions aren't worth a damn for buying anything anymore, but they sure are a good source of amusement.

But real men--real men prefer their women like pipes. They knock them gently and care for them always. No man shares his pipes!!!
post #5 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 05:58 AM
Old Man

That is a recent tin for EU (Spanish) consumption.
post #6 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Ask me why I dinged Black

I saw a new tin of "Mellow" for sale in Raleigh yesterday; don't ever recall seeing Dunhill branded like this before but, only being 59 and a relatively recent pipe convert, I can't swear what Murray's ever did back in the olden days before electricity and wooden chairs and salt water crocodiles and Justin Bieber and the internet and so on and so forth.

Perhaps some of the giga-super-mature among us like dmkerr and johnnyflake will tell more. I too was curious where that "Mellow" brand came from.

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"
post #7 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesmary View Post

No, "mellow" is new to Orlik because they can no longer legally put "mild" on a tobacco product.

If you're interested in Murray's era Standard Mixture Mild, I'm selling a tin:
DUNHILL - SEALED MURRAYS ERA - Standard Mixture Mild! - eBay (item 250765527945 end time Feb-05-11 12:43:04 PST)
post #8 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Mac Baren did the same thing a few years ago for the same reason:

Mac Baren - Change of names

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck
post #9 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Reformed Cig Addict

Definitely a recent tin; older tins wouldn't have the usual "smoker's warning" on them.

What study showed that those warnings work anyway? You could put a picture of a tar truck pouring burning tar on a little bunny and we would still smoke it.
post #10 of 48 Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

You are correct sir. The labeled tins are Orlik in fact the early Orlik releases still used the painted tins of murrays, I believe they also put left over Murrays produced tobacco in those early tins. They later came up the the cheaper less appealing labeled tin. Then you have all the warning labels added and in this ebay case a foreign language. This is not a Murrays tin obviously.

entertainment indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag View Post
Not to my knowledge.

The name change was made due to recent laws inacted over there which prohibit the use of words like mild and light in blend names. This came along several years after all of of the Dunhill production was being handled by Orlik. Also, if not non-existant, a stick on label would be a very rare very late production Murray's tin as well I believe. Pretty sure all the Murray blended tins would have the old style painted lids that look better. Most of the clues as to the vintage of these tins are on the back of the tin. They were a different tin then. Some of the old tins did make their way to Orlik though and in the U.S. the distributor's stick on label on the back told the rest of the story. Not sure if there ever was a way to 100% tell the tins blending location during the overlap of tin styles in the EU or not.

Link to auction:

SEALED TIN DUNHILL STANDARD MIXTURE PIPE TOBACCO 50gr - eBay (item 330525707546 end time Feb-07-11 127:06 PST)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mellow, mixture, murrays, standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page