Calling Meerschaum Guru's - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Up-n-coming tobacco dork

Re: Calling Meerschaum Guru's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
I need to see the picture. I've had to sleep with my closet door completely shut ever since I saw that movie, because I am afraid that thing is going to come out riding a tricycle in the middle of the night.
"Hello Commander... I want to play a game"!

I've got a pic on my office computer - I'll attach it when I get back to work next week.

Last year my daughter had a sleepover party for her 13th birthday. I looked all over trying to find that puppet so I could put it in the rec room where they all slept (I already had the tricycle). Found one on the 'bay and it was megabucks - more than a new Yanik! Great idea with a lack of possible execution. Too bad!

My pipe doesn't stink - YOU stink!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Up-n-coming tobacco dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
That Pegasus of his at the Altinok site has been talking to me for a couple of months now. We'll see...
Once they start talking to you, resistance is futile!

post #13 of 19 Old 02-18-2011, 11:54 AM
The Cheese stands alone

Send a message via AIM to Commander Quan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkerr View Post
Once they start talking to you, resistance is futile!
And when you start talking back to them...refill your meds.

“In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

post #14 of 19 Old 02-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Potentate of Meerschaum

Quote:
How have I missed a meerschaum soulmate on here???? I must be getting slow in my old age!
Werll if you missed my intro DM, I come from a LONG line of men who smoke Meerschaum and Porcelain Regiment Pipes. I own very little in the way of Briar (At Thanksgiving I pulled a briar years ago and my uncle asked me why I brought firewood to a smoking session), especially after the PURGE of 2010!
Quote:
Granger, any other carvers impress you? I'm becoming quite enamored of Cevher's work lately. And Baglan - my biggest conversation piece is his rendition of the puppet from the Saw series of movies. He nailed it! Scary mofo!
Have you posted a pic? That sounds fun. The kind of pipe you smoke in the park...as long as you aren't in New York...to scare people

As I said I like Yanik and have one, Mesut has some out there that are attractive. I have seen the pipes by Medet Kara that I like as well.

The only work by Cevher I have seen is on the Baki site, but they are nice.

One of the reasons I have gravitated towards Altinok lately is because I can order 9mm filter pipes, which are a preference. I do own two Baki Pipes and I love them. My regular rotation is now set at Some IMPs, some Altinoks, my BC Calabsash, and one of my Baki Pipes.

There is a Baki Rhodesian up that I am having to stop myself from ordering...it is simple, elegant, and gorgeous!

...have I ever mentioned that I smoke Meers and love Sugar Barrel?:deadhorse:
(Rest in Peace Sugar Barrel...luckily I stockpiled)
post #15 of 19 Old 02-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Up-n-coming tobacco dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granger View Post
my uncle asked me why I brought firewood to a smoking session
Fell down laughing over that one! Too funny.

I love the Topkapi calabash by Kara. If I could get him to build it about twice as deep and another 25% in diameter, I'd be all over that one. Hmm... I need to ask Sinan if that can be done and see if I can afford it.

Cevher has an additional skill that is less noticeable (aside from his carving skills). He's a master of physical balance. His pipes, particularly the larger ones that have a lot of "add-ons" to the bowl itself, are incredibly light for their size. Easy to hold in the teeth.

My collection is growing slowly but surely. 10 Bakis, 5 IMP's, 2 SMS and about 12 others, including the Altinok. I still have about 20 briars but they're collecting dust, with the exception of some pipes carved by Puff member Mad Hatter. Another guy that can do wonders with large bowls and light weight.

Sorry I missed your intro! Pleasure having another meer guy around!

post #16 of 19 Old 02-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

I have 12 meers, all IMP, mostly traditional shapes push stem. The typical IMP measurements based on my correspondance & observations as follows:

Medium bowls are usually 3/4"-13/16" bores x 1.5"-1.75" depth (common briar sizes)

Large usually 7/8" x 2"-2.25"

XL .90"-1" x 2.5"

One thing I look for is light weight (given dimensions) as their more comfortable to clench, and like briar, tend to smoke cooler (lighter weights). Still prefer thicker walls, it's just that some blocks of meer are better than others, same as briar. This forum has a group devoted to meer smokers, moderator Fred has a wealth of knowledge & helpful FAQ's you may like.

Home Page
post #17 of 19 Old 02-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Potentate of Meerschaum

Quote:
I still have about 20 briars but they're collecting dust, with the exception of some pipes carved by Puff member Mad Hatter.
I have found that my Briars go on trips...but I take a Meer or two as well.

...have I ever mentioned that I smoke Meers and love Sugar Barrel?:deadhorse:
(Rest in Peace Sugar Barrel...luckily I stockpiled)
post #18 of 19 Old 02-21-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Maturing Puffer Fish

Thanks for all your replies and info. I've been doing some research given the carvers mentioned in your posts. As I get closer to narrowing down my choices I'll certainly have questions.

The most daunting aspect to online shopping is getting a realistic sense of the bowl size. Some carvers supply bowl dimensions but most don't.

Btw, Happy (belated) IPSD!
post #19 of 19 Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Up-n-coming tobacco dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirain View Post
The most daunting aspect to online shopping is getting a realistic sense of the bowl size. Some carvers supply bowl dimensions but most don't.
When you find a few you like from one etailer, email them and ask. They should be happy to tell you. If they view customer service as a pain in the ass, they don't deserve your business.

Happy hunting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
calling, guru, meerschaum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page