Gawith Hoggarth - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 07-26-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Gawith Hoggarth

They don't seem to get the love that Samuel Gawith or Esoterica do, but they do seem to be similar with very similar production philosophies and methods. SG and GH have some history in common from my understanding. Some key Esoterica (think SH) and SG tobaccos are especially hard to find, yet most GH tobaccos seem to be fairly readily available. Any reason?

I'm thinking especially of trying Best Brown #2. It is a nice large, but thin, burley/VA flake just like SH. They still use the old equipment and methods just like SG and Esoterica. Is this in any way similar to SH? Even if it isn't, now that I'm getting into the different VA variations, and I love flakes, I think I need to give this a try.

Also thinking about the following:
-Bright CR Flake (VA)
-Glengarry (same as above, but with some flavorings)
-Louisiana Perique Flake (any semblance to St. James Flake?)
-Ennerdale (of course)
-Kendal Flake
-Dark Flake Unscented (even though I like aros and other scented/flavored tobaccos, I have no interest in the scented since it has licorice)

I've had their Black Irish X and Brown Boogie (the ropes are OK, but extremely strong in Vit N, only for certain moods and occasions). I have a tin of Bob's Chocolate Flake aging which I have to try.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Brewing Guy

Re: Gawith Hoggarth

Shhhh, Jeff, what are you thinking?!?!?! We don't want to create another hard to find tobacco! I happen to love the Bob's Chocolate Flake and have a tin of Ennerdale waiting to open. I've read some good things about the Top Black Cherry and am hoping to try it out at some point.
post #3 of 43 Old 07-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Sot-weed Bohemian

I think G&H makes super tobacco. I've tried seven of them (or is it eight?) and liked them all. Supposedly the Bright CR Flake is similar to the Scotch Flake which is top notch. The Kendal and Glengarry are much alike and have that Lakeland about them. I like them both rather a lot! The Bob's Chocolate is really nice -- not much latakia or Lakeland in my sample, although I've heard people complain about how soapy it is. My Bob's Chocolate seemed relatively free of it. Actually, I haven't met a G&H I didn't like yet, although that Happy Bogie is definitely a once in a while smoke! Whoa!

Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

post #4 of 43 Old 07-26-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
I think G&H makes super tobacco. I've tried seven of them (or is it eight?) and liked them all. Supposedly the Bright CR Flake is similar to the Scotch Flake which is top notch. The Kendal and Glengarry are much alike and have that Lakeland about them. I like them both rather a lot! The Bob's Chocolate is really nice -- not much latakia or Lakeland in my sample, although I've heard people complain about how soapy it is. My Bob's Chocolate seemed relatively free of it. Actually, I haven't met a G&H I didn't like yet, although that Happy Bogie is definitely a once in a while smoke! Whoa!
The Brown Bogie/Happy Bogie knocked me on my a$$. It is good, but man, I don't think I've had such a nic buzz before. Eat a lot before hand, have a sweet drink during, and smoke it in a small bowled pipe.
post #5 of 43 Old 07-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Ask me why I dinged Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff10236 View Post
...Also thinking about the following:

-Dark Flake Unscented

Any suggestions?
Smoke Malawi-Wowwee slowly (after eating, perhaps?) in your fave flake pipe and look for a wonderful, somewhat nic-enhanced engagement. Not for pre-teens.

When it feels like it has gone crumbly, leather-hard and kind of dried out it will quickly warm in a pipe and surprisingly assume an easily compressed nature, something like Penzance; expect the unexpected - it will smoke perfectly. Mind not to plug up your pipe with an aggressive tamp. Think dark chocolate, cigar-like but not cigar leaf, espresso-ristretto. Thank you, IHT, for introducing me to this spectacular flake.

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"
post #6 of 43 Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Maturing Puffer Fish

I have absolutely fallen in love with G&H products over the past year, esp. the "Lakeland" scented mixtures, whcih kind of suprised me because I tend to be awfully picky when it comes to aromatics. "Soap?" I thought. "No freaking way." But when I actually tried them .... wow.

My favorite (and hence those I would recommend) are, in no particular order:

Kendal Flake -- a middle of the road VA with a pronounced "floral" component. I smoke more of this than any of the others and have several pipes dedicated to it. It's an ideal summer smoke.

Ennerdale -- Not as strong as Kendal nicotine-wise but with even more flavoring. In addition to the floral elements, there is also some almond and fruit.

Bosun Cut Plug -- a fairly strong broken flake with a floral/clove topping. Awesome product. Not as powerfully scented as some of the others.

Louisana Flake -- This is probably my favorite VA/Per after Filmore. There is only a hint of the "Lakeland" flavoring here, and a decent hit of perique. There are some unique chocolate notes here.

Balkan Mixture -- This was a very, very pleasant surprise. This is a top-notch latakia blend, and the only blend on the market today that I think tastes like the Balkan Sobranie I got to smoke in the late 80s/early 90s (only I like this better.) The shag cut makes this stuff burn like a dream.

Kendal Kentucky --Another shag cut. This is an unflavored, pure tobacco mixture that comes across as a British version of Prince Albert, only many times stronger.
post #7 of 43 Old 07-26-2011, 03:45 PM
drl
Puff Jedi

GH&Co is some of the best stuff out there for my money. I like most of the blends you mentioned and Louisiana Per Flake is one of my favorite blends period. Its tasty, interesting and complex with flavor that is delicate and balanced. Definitely a top 2-3 VaPer for me.
post #8 of 43 Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Brewing Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
The Bob's Chocolate is really nice -- not much latakia or Lakeland in my sample, although I've heard people complain about how soapy it is. My Bob's Chocolate seemed relatively free of it.
I didn't fine a lot of Lakeland in the Bob's Chocolate either. I do smoke it in my Lakeland dedicated pipe, just in case, but am probably picking up no more than would be expected from the ghosting in the pipe.
post #9 of 43 Old 07-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

I have wanted to try the Gawith, Hoggarth, & co tobaccos for a while, but other things keep "bumping" them from my cart. However, I am working through a tin of Bob's Chocolate Flake, when I first tried it I didnt care for it much but now I find myself going to it more and more. It has really grown on me, and now I think it is somthing I will keep a tin or two of.
post #10 of 43 Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Dark Flake Unscented is my favorite. Just the right hint of the Lakeland essence without being too overwelming and excellent strength nic-wise.

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gawith, hoggarth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page