1st Tobacco Order - Need Help - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-28-2012, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

1st Tobacco Order - Need Help

Quick question for you vets...

I have been reading through reviews and looking for some consensus on some tobaccos to start out with. And the more I read, the more overwhelmed and confused I become.

I have 2 pipes now, and have 3 tobaccos...a black russian blend, Stanwell Melange, and Frog Morton. I have only gone through about 15 total bowls so far since moving over from cigars.

If you had to pick 5-10 tobaccos, what would they be?

I'm looking to place my first order online, and want to buy a range of blends and styles to try out the full spectrum...what would be your "go-to" buys if you could only place one more order?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-28-2012, 06:33 AM
Maturing Puffer Fish

Re: 1st Tobacco Order - Need Help

I would suggest signing up for the sampler trade. You would buy a tin or two for one of the veteran smokers and in return, they would send you an assortment of samples covering many of the different styles. It OS a great way to get started to see what it is that you like.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandlwalmer View Post
I would suggest signing up for the sampler trade. You would buy a tin or two for one of the veteran smokers and in return, they would send you an assortment of samples covering many of the different styles. It OS a great way to get started to see what it is that you like.
Second this ^

We all have our favorites, and could list tobaccos all day. However, If you sign up for the Newbie Trade, someone will send you a bunch to try before you buy.

post #4 of 14 Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 AM
T-Squared

It'll get real confusing for you if we start spouting off tobaccos. If you could try to tell us what you like and don't like about the tobaccos you have smoked, that might help us suggest some stuff for you.

Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber
post #5 of 14 Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Morris Buttermaker

First, I agree with the suggestions of signing up for the NPS trade, you will get a great exposure to many blends that way.

If you really want to venture out and buy some things on your own I would suggest trying some tried and true blends, things from folks like Samuel Gawith, McClelland, GL Pease, Rattrays etc.

Why? Because if you get something you don;t like odds are pretty good it will be something someone here does like and you can trade or sell and not be at a total loss.

When I first picked up a pipe I tried a wide variety of blends, Straights virginias, VaPers, Latakia, Orientals, Aros etc etc. It turned out I liked everything, which is not the norm. It will be a fun journey for you either way for sure.

I sleep a little, drink a great deal, and smoke cigar after cigar, which is why I am in 200% form -Churchill
post #6 of 14 Old 01-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgizzo View Post
When I first picked up a pipe I tried a wide variety of blends, Straights virginias, VaPers, Latakia, Orientals, Aros etc etc. It turned out I liked everything, which is not the norm. It will be a fun journey for you either way for sure.
I found out that I like everything too, makes buying tobacco a whole lot harder but at least we arent missing out on anything!

Pipes, Cigars and Snuff :biggrin:
post #7 of 14 Old 01-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

Quote:
Originally Posted by logos View Post
...what would be your "go-to" buys if you could only place one more order?
Well, my go-to buy if I could only place one more order would probably be all the HOTW I could afford, but no way that should be your first order!

Seriously though, the sampler trade is no bum steer; you'll have a lot more data to help decide what to order if you take advantage of it!

********.com
post #8 of 14 Old 01-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Definitely NPS it up. Ask for some new-guy, classic, omnipresent blends. The stuff we all have had and we've all smoked.

You might decide you really enjoy, say, OGS. You can then go explore and try things that also occupy that niche (Dunhill Flake, Uni Flake, etc). You might realize you enjoyed the Virginia taste of OGS but with the higher amount of burley in Uni, you get better results. Or maybe you want more Virginia taste so you try Dunhill Flake. From there maybe you want a more robust flavor so you try Royal Yacht or FVF. You get what I mean. Start with the classics, explore what you like from there.

Need help fixing up a pipe? Get my :2 on your pipe restoration questions, HERE! :thumb:
post #9 of 14 Old 01-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by logos View Post
Quick question for you vets...

I have been reading through reviews and looking for some consensus on some tobaccos to start out with. And the more I read, the more overwhelmed and confused I become.

I have 2 pipes now, and have 3 tobaccos...a black russian blend, Stanwell Melange, and Frog Morton. I have only gone through about 15 total bowls so far since moving over from cigars.

If you had to pick 5-10 tobaccos, what would they be?

I'm looking to place my first order online, and want to buy a range of blends and styles to try out the full spectrum...what would be your "go-to" buys if you could only place one more order?
Sterling Tobacco. Jack gives away freebies; I have several ounces of his Tavern blend and I really enjoy it.

I can definitely vouch for the newbie sampler trade as well.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-29-2012, 02:17 PM
T-Squared

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
I found out that I like everything too, makes buying only a little tobacco a whole lot harder but at least we arent missing out on anything!
There, I fixed that for you.

Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page