FVF and aging - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

FVF and aging

I, like many of you, snagged some bulk FVF recently. Ie had two tins stashed away for a little over a year now, and I'm curious, what are the flavor changes after 6 months, a year, and two years? I've heard it gets really great after a year, but what's the difference with this blend?

Right now I pick up a light sweetness, some spice, and a fairly mellow flavor. A bit of hay, and a good amoun of nic. I like it, but it's not exactly a holy grail to me, at least not yet. I think I'll be smoking a lot of this stuff. But, is it worth it to open a tin now? Or does it get that much better with time that I should give it more?

To be governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction, noted, registered, enrolled, taxed..., forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 AM
T-Squared

Re: FVF and aging

The first year of aging is the most dramatic. It'll keep aging indefinitely, but there are diminishing returns from a year on. What I had at 1 year was noticeably sweeter than the fresh stuff I smoked. Like you, though, I thought it was "pretty good" but not "great" or "wonderful." I've got more still sitting aside that I'll open after 5 years. I've got two and a half years left on it.

Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber
post #3 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

On the other hand, in my experience, there's very little difference with just one year of aging. The one tin I've had with two years seemed to have an added richness to it. That's as far as I've gone, or am likely to go. I'm down to two tins and don't see replenishing this one anytime soon. I'm tired of the chase game.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Puff Jedi

I'm pretty sure that the FVF square tins are vacuum sealed as opposed to the GLP/C&D/McClelland type of tins that are just air tight. I read or heard somewhere that vacuum sealing slows aging because of the lack of air in the tin... science stuff, etc etc. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there. I have nothing really to add from my own experience. I've been aging FVF for a couple of years now and have some tins and some bulk/jarred, but so far have only smoked from tins with 6mo to maybe a year on them. I'd agree that overall one year of age on stuff hasn't made a huge difference to me, though I've never smoked back-to-back vs "fresh" baccy.

Finally, only since you mentioned the holy grail thing I'll just add that while I think FVF is very good, I think it has a better reputation than some better stuff (to my tastes anyway) due to distribution. Absence makes the heart grow fonder?.. or whatever.. like some cigars that are limited and such;> I mean, I can just imagine how revered say, Marlin Flake, would be if only a couple of chances to buy it every year and during those chances it gets snapped up within a hour. But again, imho it is VERY good, but not omgholyshite awesome pipe tobacco flavor explosion that sometimes I think people set themselves up for!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 07:05 PM
T-Squared

Good point on the tins, Dave. You might get better results, Taylor, if you open the tin and put all the tobacco in a jar you don't open for a year or so. In a jar, you can see when it's aging because it will develop plumage.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Briar Fish

Agreeing with all the previous posts. . .and I'll take it one step further:
Any Samuel Gawith tins you buy should be opened, then put into a mason jar with plenty of air.

FVF is amazing stuff. But I think most will agree it's way too wet to smoke fresh from the tin. This goes for all the SG blends.

I find they age much, much faster when allowed to breath a little.

. . .also, a note on SG blends: People who popularized them on this (and other) forums will remember that they used to be mid-range tobaccos. Costing less than a lot of other blends. This is no longer the case, but anyone buying SG should be aware that some percentage (roughly 10%?. . .20%?) of the weight is water.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 PM
T-Squared

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEnormous View Post
=FVF is amazing stuff. But I think most will agree it's way too wet to smoke fresh from the tin. This goes for all the SG blends.
I think that's more true of the thick cut flakes that come in the bulk buys, like the 1 pounder. The thinner flakes aren't that wet but still wouldn't be hurt by a little drying time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page