Eight reasons pipe smoking will not catch on - Page 3 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 06-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

Re: Eight reasons pipe smoking will not catch on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
That's not a nice way to talk about @MarkC j/k
Yeah, I didn't care for that argument, but I figured it was because it probably applied to me...

********.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Joe

I find the flavors of pipe tobacco to be much richer than most cigars. And a lot cheaper. I like playing with the flakes and ropes. Probably a remnant from my days of smoking a different substance. About the only thing about the ritual I dislike, is the constant cleaning. Thought cobs were hokey, but find they smoke great. I need to break in my MM Freehand. I'll still take my cigars travelling, flea market, errands. And, I'll still be buying Añejos when I can.

Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.
post #23 of 29 Old 07-01-2014, 05:33 PM
tr0
Newbie in the ocean

With cigarettes being so heavily regulated nowadays a strong pipe tobacco will scratch the itch much better, so I have to disagree with that point. The technique part is also heavily exaggerated, though some pipes/tobaccos are easier to smoke than others.

But I have an additional reason; E-cigs, the nicotine delivery system of today.

post #24 of 29 Old 07-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Philosopher Extraordinai

Send a message via Yahoo to Gigmaster

Missouri Meerschaums rule!!!!!

I disagree with almost every point the original poster made. It's been my experience (which spans well over 5 decades) that pipe smokers are perceived by the rest of the public as being on the intellectual and thoughtful side, perhaps a bit philosophical, and more or less gentle souls. It never fails that when I light up my favorite pipe and tobacco (at the few places that still allow it...mainly the Elks Club Lodge...), several women will make a special trip to my location to tell me how much they love men who smoke pipes. Pipe smokers are solid, reliable, and not woman-abusers. Pipe smokers are seldom associated with being drunks, and are perceived as being somewhat moderate in all things. Smoking a pipe instills a sense of trust in others. When you light up a pipe, you become the Wise Elder. It's the perception I seem to get whenever I smoke my beloved MMs, and I am more apt to trust another pipe smoker, quicker than anyone else.

Of course, these are just perceptions.......

Pipe Smoking is certainly not 'dead', as the existence of this forum proves. Are less people smoking pipes nowadays?...perhaps, but a lot of it has to do with social factors, such as an aggressive attack on tobacco in general, mostly aimed at cigarette companies, but we are the collateral damage. Also, pipes take a bit of consideration, which is anathema to the modern desire for instant gratification in all things. People do not want to work for anything anymore, not even pleasure. There is hardly any self-reliance anywhere, anymore. People have gotten used to having everything done for them, from food preparation (processed foods), to finding dates. As far as pipes go, you can grow your own tobacco, and of course, almost anyone can make a smokable corn cob pipe with a few simple hand tools, so it may very well be the last bastion of self-reliance left.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
post #25 of 29 Old 07-01-2014, 06:38 PM
The Cheese stands alone

Send a message via AIM to Commander Quan

I don't care if it catches on or not. Just like anything else, interest in a particular hobby/activity waxes and wanes with the times. People pick it up, and give it up every day. For those that are here now, there's enough room for everyone from the occasional smoker to the habitual collector, and everyone in between.

If the time ever comes when there is a need or desire for someone put away or sell off the pipes I'll with them luck with whatever interest they pursue, but certainly won't mourn the loss of another pipe smoker.

“In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!
post #26 of 29 Old 07-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Sot-weed Bohemian

If it ever catches on, I'm quitting!

Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney
post #27 of 29 Old 07-01-2014, 11:48 PM
My pipes won't survive-EZ

Cool Re: Eight reasons pipe smoking will not catch on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
...It's been my experience (which spans well over 5 decades) that pipe smokers are perceived by the rest of the public as being on the intellectual and thoughtful side, perhaps a bit philosophical, and more or less gentle souls. It never fails that when I light up my favorite pipe and tobacco (at the few places that still allow it...mainly the Elks Club Lodge...), several women will make a special trip to my location to tell me how much they love men who smoke pipes. Pipe smokers are solid, reliable, and not woman-abusers. Pipe smokers are seldom associated with being drunks, and are perceived as being somewhat moderate in all things. Smoking a pipe instills a sense of trust in others. When you light up a pipe, you become the Wise Elder. It's the perception I seem to get whenever I smoke my beloved MMs, and I am more apt to trust another pipe smoker, quicker than anyone else...
Dayaamm! I better start smoking a pipe! :tu
post #28 of 29 Old 07-02-2014, 01:09 AM
Philosopher Extraordinai

Send a message via Yahoo to Gigmaster

If everyone else starting smoking pipes, I, too, would quit. I refuse to join any club that would have me for a member.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
If it ever catches on, I'm quitting!
post #29 of 29 Old 07-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Sot-weed Bohemian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
It's been my experience (which spans well over 5 decades) that pipe smokers are perceived by the rest of the public as being on the intellectual and thoughtful side, perhaps a bit philosophical, and more or less gentle souls.
One of those rare instances where perception matches reality.

Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page