Foul weather = foul smoke? - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Alpha Puffer Fish

Foul weather = foul smoke?

Last night I was smoking on my back covered patio.
Weather was crap. Not yet raining, but definitely hot humid and just generally typical Gulf Coast conditions.

What does this type of weather do to a bowl?

Reason I ask, is that today is worse, and I really don't want to waste a bowl if y'all warn me off.

I don't know what I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 04:50 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

With a pipe you can make adjustments to compensate for weather conditions (to a dregree) with high humidity one issue your likely to run into is getting and keeping a bowl lit, to adjust for this simply dry your tobacco more, one of the great things about smoking a pipe is that you control, and are responsible for almost all aspects of it! How you prepare the tobacco, how dry it is, how you pack it, how fast/slow/hard you Puff all have an effect on the taste you get.
Piper, cory1984, Scap and 2 others like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #3 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStrangeOne View Post
With a pipe you can make adjustments to compensate for weather conditions (to a dregree) with high humidity one issue your likely to run into is getting and keeping a bowl lit, to adjust for this simply dry your tobacco more, one of the great things about smoking a pipe is that you control, and are responsible for almost all aspects of it! How you prepare the tobacco, how dry it is, how you pack it, how fast/slow/hard you Puff all have an effect on the taste you get.
Thank you.
That definitely reinforces last night's disaster with the Levant.
Piper and OneStrangeOne like this.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 06:05 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

Here in the Austin area we get a bit of humidity also, I use a desk lamp and a paper plate as a drying station, some people use a coffee warming plate set on low or the microwave. Iím of the opinion that dryer tobacco tastes better. My reasoning on this is that the dryer it is the slower you can smoke it, the slower you smoke the more flavor you get.
Piper, cory1984, Scap and 1 others like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #5 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 06:09 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Iíve smoked many bowls in my garage with door open during fierce rainstorms and never a problem.

Iím not really one to put a whole lot of thought into drying tobacco, but I just roll with whatever situation brings and try not to get too technical. Otherwise, just the frustration can ruin the smoke. Especially when you start getting frustrated and puffing too fast.

Mood has a huge impact on my ability to enjoy a pipe or cigar. If Iím frustrated at all, I just put it down and wait till later.
Piper, Scap, Matt_21 and 1 others like this.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
post #6 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 06:31 PM
No longer a community member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnash View Post
Iíve smoked many bowls in my garage with door open during fierce rainstorms and never a problem.

Iím not really one to put a whole lot of thought into drying tobacco, but I just roll with whatever situation brings and try not to get too technical. Otherwise, just the frustration can ruin the smoke. Especially when you start getting frustrated and puffing too fast.

Mood has a huge impact on my ability to enjoy a pipe or cigar. If Iím frustrated at all, I just put it down and wait till later.
Agreed on the mood part.
Many times I've wanted to puff on something (cigar, or pipe) and just don't knowing as much as I'd like to my mood isn't right for the full enjoyment of it.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStrangeOne View Post
Here in the Austin area we get a bit of humidity also, I use a desk lamp and a paper plate as a drying station, some people use a coffee warming plate set on low or the microwave. Iím of the opinion that dryer tobacco tastes better. My reasoning on this is that the dryer it is the slower you can smoke it, the slower you smoke the more flavor you get.
How long do you dry fresh out of the can "feels wet" tobacco?

post #8 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scap View Post
How long do you dry fresh out of the can "feels wet" tobacco?
Until it's flexible not crumbly. I sometimes pack a bowl right out of the tin or jar and set it aside for half an hour or more before smoking. That way even if it gets a bit too dry, it's not going to be reduced to dust when you pack it.

Oddly enough, the tin of Levant I just opened was a little on the dry sideóperfect to smoke. Sometimes a bowl of tobacco or a cigar just tastes crap for no obvious reason. Sometimes the top of the bowl is great and the bottom flat. Sometimes it improves as you go down the bowl. But I agree with Erik @ebnash that being in the right frame of mind makes a difference. When I take the time to think about what I'm tasting, I slow down and appreciate the smoke more. The nice thing about pipe smoking, however, is that you can enjoy it even when you're not paying attention to it, while reading, listening to music, etc.
Scap, Matt_21 and OneStrangeOne like this.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 07:22 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

Thereís not really a set time frame, itís more of a Ďfeelí some blends take a lot more time than others, it depends on the cut and the heat source. With my desk lamp most blends are good to go in anywhere from 10 -30 minutes. Full flakes, coins or cubed take longer, some of the SG, GH&CO take a lot longer. I like to start by drying it until itís just shy of crunchy and then fine tune it from there. Something I was told was ďdry it until you think itís good and then dry it some moreĒ The folks that use the microwave seem to have the best results doing like 7-10 seconds at a time until it gets to where you want it.
Piper and Scap like this.

post #10 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Alpha Puffer Fish

Ok, sat a bowls worth out on a paper towel at 4:30p
Did dinner and packed it at 6:15.

Burning much better than last night. Can even taste and enjoy the leathery flavor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page