• 4 Post By swmalone78
  • 2 Post By swmalone78
  • 6 Post By JohnBrody15
  • 4 Post By swmalone78

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-13-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Advice about my blends

I am hoping to get some advice about my tobacco. I want to make sure I donít jump into the deep end and end up not liking something just because I lack experience, similar to when I first tried a pale ale 20 odd years ago.

This is what I currently have, does anyone feel I should hold off on any of these until I get some experience.

Mac Baren 7 seas hold - I have tried this and enjoyed it

McCleland Frog Morton on the bayou - I smoked a little of this and really wished it was still available.

Mac Baren plum cake

Mac Baren HH Perique

Esoterica Cardiff

Esoterica Pembroke - smoke one bowl of this and really enjoyed this.

Peter stokkebye - Virginia No.1

Wessex Brigade Balkan Supreme

Something from a place called Sturman smoke shop called black gold

Thanks for any advice.
cory1984, OneStrangeOne and Fusion like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-13-2019, 11:29 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

Iíd say go for it! I donít see any nic heavyweights on there, The Plum cake and the Perique will have sharp bold flavors. If you find a few that you donít like just jar em up and revisit in 6 months or a year . Your taste will change as you go along.
Piper, cory1984, Fusion and 1 others like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #3 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 12:53 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

You're right in asking the question about blends that might require more experience. I've come across a few blends that I struggle with. It's not that I don't enjoy the taste, it's that they taste really bad, or get ashy super quick, and I don't know if I'm packing them right, smoking them too fast, not letting them dry etc....I think I know enough to troubleshoot the problem (although I haven't been able to yet) but a less experienced smoker might not be able to figure things out.

But you won't know until you try them, so I say smoke everything and see what works. If something doesn't taste right, jar it up, and revisit it when you've had more practice.
Piper, cory1984, Fusion and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Thanks for the advice. I just remember the first time I tried a pale ale. I thought the beer had gone bad. It kept me away from hoppy beers for years until I really got into homebrewing.

I have enough problems with determining proper moisture content, smoking cadence, and not having to relight 20 times. I donít need to add a more complicated than usual blend.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

So I just tried the Plumcake and Wessex Balkan supreme. I really didnít like the Plumcake at first but the second half of the bowl was much better. I think it might go in a jar for a while.

The Balkan supreme seemed really wet out of the tin so I let it dry for a while. I quite enjoyed it. It seems very smooth, maybe a bit on the mild side. I could see this making it in the normal rotation, although I wish it wasnít so expensive.

Everything else I have is bulk, other than the frog Morton. I noticed bulk is substantially cheaper.
Piper and Fusion like this.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 07:18 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmalone78 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I just remember the first time I tried a pale ale. I thought the beer had gone bad. It kept me away from hoppy beers for years until I really got into homebrewing.

I have enough problems with determining proper moisture content, smoking cadence, and not having to relight 20 times. I donít need to add a more complicated than usual blend.

IMO cadence is something worth looking into. Smoking too fast can be a problem. And there's videos describing "breath smoking" which I've been trying to do, and I think it improves the overall experience. Moisture is something you can play around with, and relighting doesn't bother me. I do a lot of it. It becomes a problem when you're driving and relighting, and you look in the mirror later, and most of your eye lashes on one eye have white stems on them because you burned them all down.....that's a true story......
post #7 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrody15 View Post
IMO cadence is something worth looking into. Smoking too fast can be a problem. And there's videos describing "breath smoking" which I've been trying to do, and I think it improves the overall experience. Moisture is something you can play around with, and relighting doesn't bother me. I do a lot of it. It becomes a problem when you're driving and relighting, and you look in the mirror later, and most of your eye lashes on one eye have white stems on them because you burned them all down.....that's a true story......

I tend to take quite a while to get through a bowl, so I donít know that Iím smoking to fast. I just worry perhaps a certain rhythm would cut down on relights. I think the lowest number I have ever had is in the mid teens.

I am accident prone enough so no pipe smoking for me while driving. I would probably drop the lot lighter between my legs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in