• 4 Post By Piper
  • 6 Post By msmith1986
  • 4 Post By Piper
  • 4 Post By zcziggy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-07-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Opinions on Estate Pipes

Iíve never purchased an Estate pipe. I guess Iím just Leary of what I think of as a used pipe. Are they reconditioned to almost new, are they worth the coin. Their are many affordable that are much cheaper than new and some decent deals.
Piper, cory1984 and Fusion like this.

US Army Veteran 1974-1985
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-07-2019, 09:52 AM
Retired Chaos Designer

Itís a mixed bag, so it comes down to who youíre dealing with. Some etailers like Smokingpipes.com do a complete and through clean-up and sanitation, they donít try and hide anything and their descriptions of condition and measurements are accurate 99.5% of the time. Of course you pay a bit more for their services. Ebay is a crapshoot, their are a few very reputable dealers and more than a few whoís business practices are questionable at best. It is possible to get a deal on eBay but you do need to do the research and count on doing your own cleanup.
Generally the estate market is about 1/2 of what the pipe sold for new, depending on condition.
My advice would be to stick with the etailers until you have a chance to figure out whoís who on the bay.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #3 of 10 Old 12-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Leading Puffer Fish

yup....smokingpipes is the route to go for estates imo...I've never actually bought an estate I just don't like the idea of an already broken in pipe but they've got a few unsmoked ones that pop up from time to time that are rare finds

post #4 of 10 Old 12-07-2019, 12:35 PM
404: TITLE NOT FOUND

Call me adventurous, but my most recent purchase was an estate pipe from a garage sale. I did a fairly aggressive cleaning with rubbing alcohol (accidentally ended up removing some of the finish in the process though ) and it works great. As long as you're sure that everything has been properly cleaned you should be safe. Like said above, you can find pre-cleaned pipes online for less than half price; though at garage sales, flea markets, and thrift stores you can usually find them under $10 as long as you are willing to do the restoration yourself.

Edit: To answer the question of if they're worth it, since most decent pipes seem to last forever if taken care, then as long as they are in good condition by the time you start smoking it then it's defiantly worth it monetarily assuming you don't mind estate pipes.
Piper and Fusion like this.

Signature Error 202: No Content
post #5 of 10 Old 12-07-2019, 01:20 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I have bought both off ebay and Smokingpipes, the one from smokingpipes was like a new pipe, the ebay pipes i didnt trust and i did a deep sanitation on them but then again i bought them to learn how to clean up a pipe lol
Piper, curmudgeonista and cory1984 like this.

I gently bent one each into my nostrils, then put the remaining one in my mouf. --droy1958
post #6 of 10 Old 12-07-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Ok fellows smokingpipes it is, Iím not much of an e bay fan! Thanks
Piper, Gumby-cr, cory1984 and 1 others like this.

US Army Veteran 1974-1985
post #7 of 10 Old 12-07-2019, 03:27 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olecharlie View Post
Ok fellows smokingpipes it is, Iím not much of an e bay fan! Thanks
Agree with all of the above.

High quality estate pipes from reputable online retailers are the great bargain in the pipe world. Not surprisingly, the more expensive the pipe costs new, the better the discount when sold "used." The holiday season is a good time to shop for estates. Some top specialty pipe seller have holiday sales that knock off 10% or more. Some don't charge sales tax out of state and most European sites deduct the VAT. Most pipe specialty and European sites do charge for shipping.

Here are a few other sites where I've gotten some great deals, especially during sales:

Pipes2Smoke.com, Briar Blues (it pays to sign up as an insider to get discount prices), Pulver Prior Briars, and NeatPipes.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-07-2019, 10:56 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I love estate pipes, I've bought some dirt cheap on eBay to learn how to restore, and I've bought a few from Smoking Pipes. I don't regret any of those purchases.
*Side note. Briar Blues doesn't have any Castello Great Line's because David already bought them all. Lol

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

'I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form' -Winston Churchil
post #9 of 10 Old 12-07-2019, 11:53 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith1986 View Post
I love estate pipes, I've bought some dirt cheap on eBay to learn how to restore, and I've bought a few from Smoking Pipes. I don't regret any of those purchases.
*Side note. Briar Blues doesn't have any Castello Great Line's because David already bought them all. Lol

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Moi?
post #10 of 10 Old 12-08-2019, 02:08 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
Moi?
oui monsieur
Piper, cory1984, Fusion and 1 others like this.

Tact is for people who arenít witty enough to use sarcasm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page