Homemade Balkan Sorbanie Original Mixture? - Page 5 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 60 Old 05-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Re: Homemade Balkan Sorbanie Original Mixture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounds7 View Post
Since there is still a bit of smaller flakes of deer tongue within I am considering a stoving process to marry the blend a bit. 200 degrees in the oven for a half an hour or so. Any suggestions before I try this?
This will likely be my last update of this thread as I have stumbled upon the process that this blend needed to make it taste like the Balkan Sobranie. If you have been following this thread you know that I added deer tongue to the mixture but the flavors had not really melded together so I decided to stove the mixture. I got the crock pot ( same one we use to cook pot roast) and I moistened the tobacco and put it in and took the crock pot outside. I put it on high a closed the lid but when moisture would form on the glass I lifted the lid and then stired the tobacco and closed the lid. The process took about 35-40 minutes but the results were fantastic. The smoky latakia is more present and there is a roundness that wasn't there before. I am satisfied with what I just smoked and officially am calling it quits. I see no need to improve it more. If you stumble onto anything I will listen for sure but I see no need to go on. This is what I was looking for when I set out to copy the Balkan Sobranie. Thanks to all who have given input in this thread and I hope your enjoyment of this blend is as great as mine has been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

How about posting your definitive recipe and procedures here at the end in a one comment? Thanks.

Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.
post #43 of 60 Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
How about posting your definitive recipe and procedures here at the end in a one comment? Thanks.

Wellauer's Syrian Latakia (or Mcconnells full syrian Latakia ) 35%
McCrannie's Red Ribbon 15%
Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake !5%
McClelland Oriental Blending Tobacco 15%
Pipeworks and Wilke Bulk Yenidje 15%
Pipeworks and Wilke bulk black cavendish.5%

optional- sprinkle very modest amount of Deer tongue- treat it like salt on food. You don't want to over salt

Mix ingredients into a crock pot and lightly mosten the tobacco with distilled water. put setting on high and close the lid. stir every 5 minutes or so for up to 40 minutes. let cool and place in an air tight container for aging. 2-3 months of aging will be enough.

post #44 of 60 Old 03-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Newbie in the ocean

I've just tried the simpler of the two homemade Sobranie mixtures (50g Sasieni/10gSyrian/10gYenidje). I used McConnell's blending Syrian and McClelland's Yenidje (what else is closer? - anybody?). Somebody on Tobacco Reviews said Gawith Hoggarth's Syrian Latakia is better than McClelland's but I can't find it anywhere.

The result is at least better than the BS Original of the final years (sometimes available in Italy, sometimes in South Africa), but that was true even of Sasieni alone. Fact is, it is closer to 759 than anything else I've tried. I forget the list but Gawith, Hoggarth's Balkan Mixture, Stokkebye's Balkan Mixture, Compton's Balkan, Compton's Macedonian are all on the list, and they are all pretty great, but substantially different.

This homemade mix is thoroughly reminiscent, and I'll bet we're not going to get any closer than that. I haven't tried doing the more complex mixture yet.

Great thread!

Fr. J
Attached Images

post #45 of 60 Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 PM

Thanks Frjacob

It is good to know from another Sobranie enthusiast.
post #46 of 60 Old 03-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Ask me why I dinged Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexiprs View Post
Well, my trusty blend calculator makes that 35% Latakia, 15% Ribbon, FVF, Yenidje, Orientals, and 5% Black Cav. For my 2 ounce experimental batch that was .7, .3, .3, .3, .3, and .1 ounces, same order.

It is in the jar and will give it a full 30 days.
Surveeeeeeeyyyyy SAYS?

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"
post #47 of 60 Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Surveeeeeeeyyyyy SAYS?
Survey says very well worth the effort, $$$ and time.

Wow!

Is it just like the original Sobranie Limited ??

Hard to say, as that blend degraded over time and became lesser with each version. It is very, very tasty, it is worth all the acquisition work, and it is good enough to say that today, I put up 5 newly blended pounds of it, or at least blended it and it is now "cooking" in the crock pot ...... The key, I think, is the "sprinkle," as in adding salt to a meal, of the DT to to the mixture. I used the following components:

McConnell's Latakia @ 35% by weight
McCrannie's Red Ribbon (the latest) @ 15%
SG's FVF (fully rubbed out BEFORE cooking) @ 15%
McClelland Oriental Blending Tobacco @ 15%
P&W Yenidje @ 15%
P&W Black Cavendish @ 5% (the original post seems to say .5% but it is a number issue and needs to be 5% to make 100%)

I did as instructed back in the start of April of 09 and then put it away in a Mason jar, a total of one pound. Of course, I then promptly forgot about it until FrJacon posted and then I went digging. So figure it got 10 months aging ..... Since reminded, I've been through about 20-25 bowls ..... The exact "formula" I used to make a pound was:

Latakia = 5.60 oz
Red Ribbon = 2.40 oz
FVF = 2.40 oz
Oriental = 2.40 oz
Yenidje = 2.40 oz
Black Cav = 0.80 oz
Deer Tongue = 3/4 teaspoon measured and sprinkled over the above

Blended, spritzed with 5 sprays of distilled water, then "stoved" in a crock pot for one hour, stirring every 10 minutes ........ Cooled and then jarred away. .....

I won't let this new batch go as long since I'm doing several pints and then quarts.

When I walk through the house, I always have someone proceed me with a boom-box playing Darth Vader theme music to lend a weighty and ominous air to my approach.
post #48 of 60 Old 03-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Never had the original BS, so I really have no point of reference, but now I am very curious... Crock Pot on high? Mine has two settings...
post #49 of 60 Old 03-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

I did HIGH and mine too has both LOW and HIGH. That seemed right, especially since you open it so often to stir. The smell as made the house something like I always dreamed an old, exclusive men's club would smell.

When I walk through the house, I always have someone proceed me with a boom-box playing Darth Vader theme music to lend a weighty and ominous air to my approach.
post #50 of 60 Old 03-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Great to hear you like it plexiprs.

This thread was the first I posted in on this forum as it was originally my purpose for coming here to develop this blend as well as get feedback from other smokers on the quality and how close others thought it was to the original. I feel I have accomplished both now. plexiprs testimony is one I have waited long to hear. One thing I learned quickly after coming to this website is there are some great guys on here that know their stuff with pipes and tobacco this is certainly the best forum on the web for pipe smoking and It makes me feel good to have made some contribution. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
balkan, homemade, mixture, original, sorbanie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page