Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

Puff Cigar Discussion Forums (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/)
-   General Pipe Forum (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/)
-   -   Murrays Standard Mixture Mellow? (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/153535-murrays-standard-mixture-mellow.html)

yvesmary 02-02-2011 01:56 AM

Murrays Standard Mixture Mellow?

Did Murrays really make Standard Mixture as Mellow instead of Mild?

I'm not allowed to post a link but the item # on eBay is 330525707546

I've never seen that before.

teedles915 02-02-2011 02:01 AM

Re: Murrays Standard Mixture Mellow?

ultramag 02-02-2011 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvesmary (Post 3109273)

Not to my knowledge.

The name change was made due to recent laws inacted over there which prohibit the use of words like mild and light in blend names. This came along several years after all of of the Dunhill production was being handled by Orlik. Also, if not non-existant, a stick on label would be a very rare very late production Murray's tin as well I believe. Pretty sure all the Murray blended tins would have the old style painted lids that look better. Most of the clues as to the vintage of these tins are on the back of the tin. They were a different tin then. Some of the old tins did make their way to Orlik though and in the U.S. the distributor's stick on label on the back told the rest of the story. Not sure if there ever was a way to 100% tell the tins blending location during the overlap of tin styles in the EU or not.

Link to auction:

SEALED TIN DUNHILL STANDARD MIXTURE PIPE TOBACCO 50gr - eBay (item 330525707546 end time Feb-07-11 12:27:06 PST)

ultramag 02-02-2011 03:10 AM

I just went and looked at the auction some more and read the description again. My information I posted above may be wrong. I just know about the tins from 7 or 8 years ago when production switched to Orlik.

I didn't realize before that this one was from "ancient times" which are probably a little farther back than I have any knowledge of. Geesh, these Ebay auctions aren't worth a damn for buying anything anymore, but they sure are a good source of amusement. :rotfl:

Nachman 02-02-2011 05:58 AM

That is a recent tin for EU (Spanish) consumption.

Mister Moo 02-02-2011 08:38 AM

I saw a new tin of "Mellow" for sale in Raleigh yesterday; don't ever recall seeing Dunhill branded like this before but, only being 59 and a relatively recent pipe convert, I can't swear what Murray's ever did back in the olden days before electricity and wooden chairs and salt water crocodiles and Justin Bieber and the internet and so on and so forth.

Perhaps some of the giga-super-mature among us like dmkerr and johnnyflake will tell more. I too was curious where that "Mellow" brand came from.

ChronoB 02-02-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvesmary (Post 3109273)

No, "mellow" is new to Orlik because they can no longer legally put "mild" on a tobacco product.

If you're interested in Murray's era Standard Mixture Mild, I'm selling a tin:
DUNHILL - SEALED MURRAYS ERA - Standard Mixture Mild! - eBay (item 250765527945 end time Feb-05-11 12:43:04 PST)

indigosmoke 02-02-2011 10:40 AM

Mac Baren did the same thing a few years ago for the same reason:

Mac Baren - Change of names

Natedogg 02-02-2011 10:58 AM

Definitely a recent tin; older tins wouldn't have the usual "smoker's warning" on them.

What study showed that those warnings work anyway? You could put a picture of a tar truck pouring burning tar on a little bunny and we would still smoke it.

sounds7 02-02-2011 11:01 AM

You are correct sir. The labeled tins are Orlik in fact the early Orlik releases still used the painted tins of murrays, I believe they also put left over Murrays produced tobacco in those early tins. They later came up the the cheaper less appealing labeled tin. Then you have all the warning labels added and in this ebay case a foreign language. This is not a Murrays tin obviously.

entertainment indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultramag (Post 3109289)
Not to my knowledge.

The name change was made due to recent laws inacted over there which prohibit the use of words like mild and light in blend names. This came along several years after all of of the Dunhill production was being handled by Orlik. Also, if not non-existant, a stick on label would be a very rare very late production Murray's tin as well I believe. Pretty sure all the Murray blended tins would have the old style painted lids that look better. Most of the clues as to the vintage of these tins are on the back of the tin. They were a different tin then. Some of the old tins did make their way to Orlik though and in the U.S. the distributor's stick on label on the back told the rest of the story. Not sure if there ever was a way to 100% tell the tins blending location during the overlap of tin styles in the EU or not.

Link to auction:

SEALED TIN DUNHILL STANDARD MIXTURE PIPE TOBACCO 50gr - eBay (item 330525707546 end time Feb-07-11 12:27:06 PST)